New Machine Build LMS HiTorque Mini-Mill CNC Conversion - Page 11

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast

Thread: LMS HiTorque Mini-Mill CNC Conversion

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

WoW i have to say very nice conversation plans, very detailed very professional... and you give them away for free, THANK YOU A LOT...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Just a question please

Hey Don, Again, Thank You for all of your hard work

I just have a question, If I may ....

There is a dimension on the X axis right end plate that I'd like to verify with you (see attachment). The drawing of the corresponding left end plate suggests that this dimension should be 0.70000in. Is that correct?

Again, Thank You for a fine job

Will

oops ... never mind I got if figured out

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LMS HiTorque Mini-Mill CNC Conversion-end-plate-question-jpg  
    Last edited by willbow; 02-09-2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: resolved issue

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Never mind .. I got it figured out

Downloads
    Uploads

n/m

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
    n/m
    I don't know why but I have the message in my email and when I click to see it here NO Message
    But thanks for the answer

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

guys one more question. I have purchased the X2 conversion kit from cncfusion. Everything works fine except the X axis. It's always stalls for a second on either ends and then runs smoothly until it riches the other end. I tried to adjust it but nothing.
    Last night when I was working on it I realize that the ballscrew wobbles little bit by the motor coupling. It looks like is not mounted concentric to the coupling.
    Is that possible? And do I have to replace the ballcrew?

Downloads
    Uploads

The n/m was due to my confusion - my PC was acting strangely at the time when I posted the response, and I wasn't sure that I was responding to the right thread, and so I edited the post to remove it. Glad that I was able to help.

As for the cncfusion question, I'm not sure whether this is the right thread for this discussion (so maybe it might be good to start a separate thread about it), but I have been considering getting the cncfusion kit for my X2 (not an SX2), but I'm not sure that I like the Lovejoy couplings that they use between the motors and the ball screws. Maybe someone who has used them can comment on their suitability. I would prefer to use oldham couplings to help with possible shaft alignment problems. But I'm not sure whether motor shaft to ball screw shaft misalignment would explain your problem.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What is their website? It looks like they don't have one. If they are cheap I'll give a try.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

For Oldham couplings, see McMaster-Carr

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Which ones are better. The set-screw or clamp-on?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Pysiek View Post
    Which ones are better. The set-screw or clamp-on?
    If I did not have a flat on the shaft, I would prefer the clamp style, but YMMV.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I do have the flat on the shafts. But no flats on ballscrew.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default X2 overheating

I recently installed the LMS high speed spindle kit on my X2 (went very smooth by the way) but now it seems I have an over heating problem. After about 30 minutes of running at 4000 rpm the mill just shut off. The green light stayed on, I turned the switch off waited about 2 minutes and I turned it back on, it ran about 5 minutes then shut off again. The body of the switch was very hot to the touch, it also seems that the belt housing was hotter than before the conversion. The motor housing seems to be normal (warm) Any thoughts? Also my digital rpm display only reads 1/2 the rpm's, any fix?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by djbird3 View Post
    I haven't put them back on the machine yet but they feel tighter than the originals so they will probably be ok but we'll see. If your getting more backlash one way than the other I would think you probably have an alignment issue or a problem gib causing more binding in one direction than the other. I doubt the ballnut is the problem.

~Don~
    Don,
    Alignment was my first thought, but I eliminated any chance of that. I first machined the base of the mill flat referenced from the Y dovetails, then machined the front face where the Y stepper mounts, so that is now aligned perfectly with the Y axis. I then cleaned up the slot on the slide that the ballnut bracket goes into. I'm convinced that he threads themselves are out of kilter, (if I adjust the nut so it runs smoothly with the table all the way forwards, I feel slight ball binding at the far end. The same is true if I adjust for smooth motion with the table at the back end).

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by AiR_GuNNeR View Post
    Don,
    Alignment was my first thought, but I eliminated any chance of that. I first machined the base of the mill flat referenced from the Y dovetails, then machined the front face where the Y stepper mounts, so that is now aligned perfectly with the Y axis. I then cleaned up the slot on the slide that the ballnut bracket goes into. I'm convinced that he threads themselves are out of kilter, (if I adjust the nut so it runs smoothly with the table all the way forwards, I feel slight ball binding at the far end. The same is true if I adjust for smooth motion with the table at the back end).
    Did you check the ballscrew for concentricity? If the shaft wobbles you will have more binding in the front than the back no matter what you do because the shaft is able to deflect more on the unsupported end which would explain why there is more backlash toward the back than the front. If it's not wobbling then it has to be misaligned with the Y. The way I do mine is I put the Y assembly on the machine and make sure the thrust bearings have plenty of preload on them so that the shaft is not sagging any. I then measure the distance between the top dovetail surface and the ballscrew on the front end and the far end. The difference should be no more than about .010" . Next I do the same thing measuring from the side of the dovetail, this way you'll know for sure if it's aligned correctly. If it's not aligning correctly then more than likely the bearing block has a problem, which should be CNC fusions problem, not yours. But no matter what, it can't be the ballnut causing the type of problem you described, recheck the alignment the way I explained carefully and you will see that the shaft is not properly aligned to the axis.

~Don~

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jstefano View Post
    I recently installed the LMS high speed spindle kit on my X2 (went very smooth by the way) but now it seems I have an over heating problem. After about 30 minutes of running at 4000 rpm the mill just shut off. The green light stayed on, I turned the switch off waited about 2 minutes and I turned it back on, it ran about 5 minutes then shut off again. The body of the switch was very hot to the touch, it also seems that the belt housing was hotter than before the conversion. The motor housing seems to be normal (warm) Any thoughts? Also my digital rpm display only reads 1/2 the rpm's, any fix?
    Did you check to see if the spindle was tighter than usual when the motor shut off? Maybe the bearings have to much preload and are overheating causing them to bind and overloading the motor controller, just a educated guess. I'm asuming you replaced the stock bearings with the ones in the kit. As far as the rpm display is concerned I don't think there's any provision in it's design to compensate for a different pulley ratio. The display only shows the rpm that is sent to it from the controller which is hard coded for a 2:1 ratio.

~Don~

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Don,
    I replaced the speed control unit that seemed to do it for now. Thanks for the thoughts.
    Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Ball screw and ball nut backlash tests

I tested the replacement ball screw assemblies that I received a few weeks ago and found them to be much better than the originals. The ball nuts fit to the shafts were noticeably tighter unlike the originals which were loose fitting. The backlash I measured on the x, y, and z were .0005", .0004" and .0006" respectively. These measurements are a big improvement over the originals which ranged from .0015 to .0035. I think a good bit of the backlash measured on the new ball nuts can be attributed to measurement error and stepper positioning error which the latter could be remedied with more powerful motors. So, I guess it's safe to say now that the REX stuff is ok based on my tests. In the very near future I'll be making some parts with the mill and will do a post on how accurate or not it cuts.

~Don~

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Plan set update

I noticed that I left an entire page out of the plan set so I corrected that error and another small mistake on the X axis exploded view sheet. The page I left out by accident was the saddle modification page and on the X axis exploded view I changed the limit switches to the correct type.

~Don~

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LMS HiTorque Mini-Mill CNC Conversion-sx2-cnc-conversion-rev-1-0-pdf  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Guys I'm at work right now and I would like to make myself a coolant catch tray. Can somebody give me a dimensions of the LMS Hi-Torque table? Please check the image for info. The dimension of inside of the table not outside.
    Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LMS HiTorque Mini-Mill CNC Conversion-img_4362-jpg  

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast