Quote Originally Posted by Iron-Man View Post

Updates: I have switched over to EMC2.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default EMC2

Quote Originally Posted by samco View Post
    Can I ask why?

EMC2

EMC is free software with open source code. Current versions of EMC are entirely licensed under the GNU General Public License and Lesser GNU General Public License (GPL and LGPL)
    • EMC provides:
      • several graphical user interfaces including one for touch screens
      • an interpreter for "G-code" (the RS-274 machine tool programming language)
      • a realtime motion planning system with look-ahead
      • operation of low-level machine electronics such as sensors and motor drives
      • an easy to use "breadboard" layer for quickly creating a unique configuration for your machine
      • a software PLC programmable with ladder diagrams
      • easy installation with .deb packages or a Live-CD

It does not provide drawing (CAD - Computer Aided Design) or G-code generation from the drawing (CAM - Computer Automated Manufacturing) functions.
    • It can simultaneously move up to 9 axes and supports a variety of interfaces.
    • The control can operate true servos (analog or PWM) with the feedback loop closed by the EMC software at the computer, or open loop with "step-servos" or stepper motors.
    • Motion control features include: cutter radius and length compensation, path deviation limited to a specified tolerance, lathe threading, synchronized axis motion, adaptive feedrate, operator feed override, and constant velocity control.
    • Support for non-Cartesian motion systems is provided via custom kinematics modules. Available architectures include hexapods (Stewart platforms and similar concepts) and systems with rotary joints to provide motion such as PUMA or SCARA robots.
    • EMC runs on Linux using real time extensions. Support currently exists for version 2.4 and 2.6 Linux kernels with real time extensions applied by RT-Linux or RTAI patches.

In summary, real time operating system, can control servo amps (+-10v) etc, encoders for closed loop and it is "FREE".

Iron-Man

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Video Finally

Sorry for the long wait, but here is a video of the system. My video camera is not HD but it gets the job done. I decided to go with EMC2, but the system still works perfect with MACH3. I just need to purchase some end mills, bits and materials and start making parts.
    Future projects will include new servo drives based on TI DSPs and a conversion of a Denford Novaturn CNC lathe.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AopqlifEwmA"]YouTube - Iron Man Servo 03 26 2011 HQ NTSC[/nomedia]

Hope you all enjoy.

Iron-Man

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Iron-Man that powder looks excellent. Did you ever get a good solution for your TO-220 insulation? I use a Mica insulator between the T0-220 packaging and heatsink with thermal paste on both sides of the Mica all fastened down with nylon screws nuts and bushings. I've never had a problem doing that and some of the components I do this with get to almost 200*F at times. My parts are ignition drivers and injector drivers in a MeagSquirt but they see a lot of power at the longer dwell cycles like WOT and I've never had one failure.

How is EMC2 treating you? I'm going that route as well with EMC2 closing the servo loop.

Jeremiah
    PM45 CNC Build in Progress

Downloads
    Uploads

Default TO-220 Insulation

Quote Originally Posted by Maglin View Post
    Iron-Man that powder looks excellent. Did you ever get a good solution for your TO-220 insulation? I use a Mica insulator between the T0-220 packaging and heatsink with thermal paste on both sides of the Mica all fastened down with nylon screws nuts and bushings. I've never had a problem doing that and some of the components I do this with get to almost 200*F at times. My parts are ignition drivers and injector drivers in a MeagSquirt but they see a lot of power at the longer dwell cycles like WOT and I've never had one failure.

How is EMC2 treating you? I'm going that route as well with EMC2 closing the servo loop.
    I did locate a great solution to the heatsink problem; Gap Pad 5000S35 Features ~ Thermal Materials, Thermal Solutions ~ The Bergquist Company

This material has worked excellent. I will be switching over to a TI or IR devices for the power stage. The OPA549s are great, but I want to get away from the split power supply. EMC2 is great, although it has a higher learning curve. I will be looking at the MESA boards to close the loop.

Iron-Man

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Iron-Man Servo CNC System-Red Candy Running-servo-amp-gp5000s35-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Iron-Man Servo CNC System-Red Candy Running

There was never a problem in heating for the OPA 549 amps. All of the parts for the NovaTurn update were made on this Sherline mill using the Iron-Man Servo amps.
    Please see: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...61754-cnc.html

Thanks,

Iron-Man

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: First CNC Milled Part

Can someone post this Batman Logo DXF file so I can resize it in Ironcad?

Thanks Chris

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123