Motor swithing for multiple machines

Thread: Motor swithing for multiple machines

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Motor swithing for multiple machines

I have a single control box and use it to control my mill and lathe for a single computer.

the control is a G540 and all my motors are on 9pd connectors.

i would like to switch between machine and not stress the connections on the g540 so was thinking of making a breakout switch box that could be used to switch machines without unplugging anything. Obviously i will be doing this cold with no power on. any recommendations on swishes or designs / experience would be great.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe get a couple of DB9 Switch boxes. You can usually buy the entire box cheaper than you can buy the rotary switch and components.

Richard

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi

the simplest solution could be a multi pole switch
    made from parts from RS components

Buy Switch Accessories Miniature shaft assembly for switch Lucas Stability MU457848FPA(MA) online from RS for next day delivery.

you can fit upto eight wafers on the switch machanism
    the wafers range from 1 pole 8 way to 6 pole 2 way

with a 2 position 48 pole switch

you can double up the contacts switching the motor windings
    using 36 poles for the motors and current setting resistors
    and use the remaining 12 poles to switch the limit and home switches

you can add a cover / guard with a interlock switch to stop you changing machines
    with the power on

John

PS if you use parallel printerport or other network switches ,check the switch can handle the motor current

Last edited by john-100; 11-26-2011 at 08:13 AM. Reason: add ps

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Good luck with it.....

I had enough trouble getting a dedicated controller working correctly and with all the limits and homes and other stuff that goes into it I really do not see how it would be at all easy or even practical to switch back and forth to different machines. I know the G540 simplifies that quite a bit but it just seems to me to not be worth the trouble when it does not really cost all that much realistically to create another controller for each machine. Especially when you have the skills at making them as you appear to. I could see going with a Smoothstepper and controller setup on each machine and then using a laptop to quickly hookup if you wanted but honestly If I did have two CNC machines I would really want the ability to be able to run them simultaneously as much as possible. I intend to CNC this Hardinge toolroom lathe as soon as funds allow and it will most certainly have a standalone setup for that machine as well as it's own computer. I have quite a bit of research to do with that before I start on it. Trying to decide which steppers to run on it. Gonna be smallish compared to the RF45 that's for sure... Good luck with your setup tho.... peace

Pete

Downloads
    Uploads

I have been running a set up like this for years. It does work but it isnt trouble free. There will be many changes in the xml's between machines remembering to change everything can be a PIA. Usually remembered after the incorrect cut/crash etc. I tried the DB9 switch at 1 time. I am not sure the switches are designed for this amperage. Also having 2 machines connected to 1 controller at the same time brings ground issues into play. Resets will start to occur for no apparent reason during the middle of a run. If you were very organized and had expemplary wiring practices it might be possible. It eliminates all of these variables by simply having one machine connected at a time.

Downloads
    Uploads

I just reread your post again. You are mostly concerned on "stressing" the DB9 of the G540, is this at the G540 or your cable end? Do you have a hood on your cable? There should be no stress to speak of in simply unplugging and plugging in the cables. They are pretty durable in reality due to the shroud the pins are automatically aligned.

Downloads
    Uploads

The connectors have the correct shells but i am concerned more of the flexing the joints on the G540 as pins are soldered directly to the board and you end up rocking the connector in and out.

as for connections i don't run any limits just a tool setting probe. so all i do is switch motor cables as the power setting resistors are in the shells of the connector.

as for configuration it is dead easy as you create different profiles in mach and hit the correct shortcut.

Downloads
    Uploads

if you just want to protect the 15 way connectors
    would this help ? --

Buy Interface Connectors/Adaptors and Accessories 9 way equipment port protector adaptor RS MNGC09MF online from RS for next day delivery.

or you could just make four short cables

john

Downloads
    Uploads

it is partly protection and partly speed and ease.

find that small screwdriver to release the plugs each time gets old, and i think it is quite a good project.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fragger6662000 View Post
    The connectors have the correct shells but i am concerned more of the flexing the joints on the G540 as pins are soldered directly to the board and you end up rocking the connector in and out.

as for connections i don't run any limits just a tool setting probe. so all i do is switch motor cables as the power setting resistors are in the shells of the connector.

as for configuration it is dead easy as you create different profiles in mach and hit the correct shortcut.
    The problem is when using multiple machines on 1 computer, I start modifying xml's then switch machines etc. Inevitably a setting is changed that causes havoc. I run limits on 1 machine that are NC and NO on a different machine, probe too.

Downloads
    Uploads

i don't see the problem that you are creating for your self.

it took me 10 minutes to create a profile for my lathe to run in a mill configuration with rotary head to do some broaching.

for mach 3

create new profile
    give it a name
    setup ports and pins
    setup motor tuning
    exit save
    copy desktop shortcut
    right click properties of the new shortcut
    change the last filename to the new profile
    save

you are ready to go.

you have two independent setups and it is a matter of switching cables. no need to change xml's as you have already copied the majority of the common setting already.

Downloads
    Uploads

No problem in configuring xml's. I actually run 2 mills, 1 lathe and soon to be a 3d printer all on the same pc. Its great if you remember to change everything upon each machine change. I also run the MSM screen. So between all of the variables, Murphy will always be watching. Murphy ever show up to your shop?