Build Thread PM25MV (BF Series) - Page 9

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast

Thread: PM25MV (BF Series)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    Nice work! That helps a lot, but I'm missing one detail:

The "socket" that the moving part of the gripper sits inside - what holds it into the spindle? Is it pressed in there? Or is that the original spindle bore? If so, did you machine in the ramp for the retaining balls?

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Is there any way we could get a hold of the Solidworks models for the R8 pull stud design? I've been contemplating the idea for a while now. How is the release of your tool holders, do you ever get sticking? I was under the impression that the BT/ISO/CAT tapers were designed for better release.
    Thanks for the food for thought.
    Jake Mestre

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

I actually bailed on the whole idea because of practicality but I will put together a .ZIP file for the world to share. Keep in mind this is based on Dave Decaussin's design I just implemented it to fit the PM25MV.

Dave was kind enough to send me his .DXF file of his entire design of the tool holders, tool changer etc.. I will post this as well.

~Scott

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Starleper1 View Post
    I actually bailed on the whole idea because of practicality but I will put together a .ZIP file for the world to share. Keep in mind this is based on Dave Decaussin's design I just implemented it to fit the PM25MV.

Dave was kind enough to send me his .DXF file of his entire design of the tool holders, tool changer etc.. I will post this as well.

~Scott
    Maybe you should get Dave deCaussin's permission first before you post all of HIS copywritten work for the world to share.
    AM

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's not copy written.

It's not an issue, It was forwarded to me as well as about 30 other people requesting info on it.

Downloads
    Uploads

~Scott
    Scott,

Can you refresh my feeble memory as to why you gave up on this idea? You had a functional problem with it, didn't you?

Regards,
    Ray L.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

I gave up on it because the pull studs were taking a beating from the ball bearings holding it in place and because of this the holder wasn't being pulled into the spindle true. Every time I would take it out and put it back in the tool holder would have a different amount of run out. It would require some type of heat treatment to work properly. Dave D. had his case hardened. I just didn't see it being practical to make all the tool holders and then heat treat them when you can buy a standard R8 end mill holder for under $20

I'd love to see someone take the time and effort to make it functional though.

Downloads
    Uploads

I gave up on it because the pull studs were taking a beating from the ball bearings holding it in place and because of this the holder wasn't being pulled into the spindle true. Every time I would take it out and put it back in the tool holder would have a different amount of run out. It would require some type of heat treatment to work properly. Dave D. had his case hardened. I just didn't see it being practical to make all the tool holders and then heat treat them when you can buy a standard R8 end mill holder for under $20

I'd love to see someone take the time and effort to make it functional though.
    Did you consider using real pull-studs? They are hardened. Don't know if there's one readily available in an appropriate size, but the are readily available in a variety of sizes and shapes from most places that sell tooling for CNC machines.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah I was originally going to do that but if my memory serves me correctly I couldn't find just the right one. I could be wrong though it was awhile back.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

As promised...

If anyone needs other file formats let me know.

~Scott

Attached Files Attached Files

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just found some info that is pretty interesting.

The passed two or so weeks I have completely disassembled my head and modeled everything.

Anyway I found that the PM25MV uses different spindle bearings then the G0704.
    OD/ID/Thickness

PM25MV: Upper Bearing 52x28x16
    G0704: Upper Bearing 47x25x15

PM25MV: Lower Bearing 58x32x17
    G0704: Lower Bearing 62x35x18

Also another note the PM25MV comes with NSK tapered roller bearings. I did some research and found out that the upper can handle 7100RPM with grease and 9500RPM with oil. And the lower 6300RPM with grease and 8500RPM with oil. Which means no need to do an unnecessary bearing swap for higher spindle speeds.

I'm not sure what brand bearings the G0704 comes with but just looking under NSK at the same size. The uppers are rated for 8000RPM with grease and 11000RPM with oil. And the lowers are 5600RPM with grease and 8000RPM with oil. Again really no need to change bearings for a decent increase of RPM.

I found this quite interesting seeing the mills look almost identical.

As for an update on my mill, while I had the head apart I drilled the extra two holes to mount it that should have been there from factory. I will post pics a little later.

~Scott

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

As for an update on my mill, while I had the head apart I drilled the extra two holes to mount it that should have been there from factory. I will post pics a little later.

~Scott
    That is to be done for mine when the Z mods start too. I'd be interested to see if that helps a bit with the slight nod my head shows. Good to know on the bearings... They sure seem to get smoking hot when you touch the spindle nose at 3200 RPM. I was noticing that my infared thermometer was showing only about 125* though even though it felt hotter to me. Maybe the preload is a bit high. One less mod needed though, so that's good news.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Also I forgot to mention. There was about zero grease on the bearings. I re-greased with some high performance stuff. When I get it back together I have to see what happens.

The way I set the preload was to stick the whole assembly in a vise gently and start tightening the preload nut. Once I got to the point of very little play I put an indicator on the end. Now I just kept tightening little by little until the needle on the indicator didn't move, after that I went just a smidge more and locked the screws down. Checked my runout which was around .0002"

Downloads
    Uploads

My Weiss 30 spindle took a really long time to start running cool. It ran way hot for around 40 hours or so but runs a lot cooler now.

Downloads
    Uploads

It is about time I saw someone do a stepper mount like yours. I had thought about that for awhile and wondered why I hadnt seen it. It seemed like such a simple solution, you made it elegant. Absolutely beautiful work and finishes!
    Quote Originally Posted by arizonavideo View Post
    Nice clean looking stepper mounts.

You say your going yo use a "HP thrust bearing" Is that the stock thrust type of bearing or something else?

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for your kind words.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just found some info that is pretty interesting.

The passed two or so weeks I have completely disassembled my head and modeled everything.

Anyway I found that the PM25MV uses different spindle bearings then the G0704.
    OD/ID/Thickness

PM25MV: Upper Bearing 52x28x16
    G0704: Upper Bearing 47x25x15

PM25MV: Lower Bearing 58x32x17
    G0704: Lower Bearing 62x35x18

Also another note the PM25MV comes with NSK tapered roller bearings. I did some research and found out that the upper can handle 7100RPM with grease and 9500RPM with oil. And the lower 6300RPM with grease and 8500RPM with oil. Which means no need to do an unnecessary bearing swap for higher spindle speeds.

I'm not sure what brand bearings the G0704 comes with but just looking under NSK at the same size. The uppers are rated for 8000RPM with grease and 11000RPM with oil. And the lowers are 5600RPM with grease and 8000RPM with oil. Again really no need to change bearings for a decent increase of RPM.

I found this quite interesting seeing the mills look almost identical.

~Scott
    Now I wonder if the LMT25L is the same as the Grizzly or not? I know it is made by Weiss.

Looking at your photos of your mill, they are close, but I see lots of differences such as the control box.

Do you know who makes the PM?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
    Now I wonder if the LMT25L is the same as the Grizzly or not? I know it is made by Weiss.

Looking at your photos of your mill, they are close, but I see lots of differences such as the control box.

Do you know who makes the PM?

The LMT25L and the PM25MV are just like most models with a 25 in their title,
    they have a little more drilling capacity than the 20 models like the G0704 and
    most 25 models have the control box on an arm away from the head while the 20's have the box against the head.
    It's the same whether it's from Weiss , Yangzhou or one of the many others.
    Different models are gonna have some differences.
    Hoss

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    The LMT25L and the PM25MV are just like most models with a 25 in their title,
    they have a little more drilling capacity than the 20 models like the G0704 and
    most 25 models have the control box on an arm away from the head while the 20's have the box against the head.
    It's the same whether it's from Weiss , Yangzhou or one of the many others.
    Different models are gonna have some differences.
    Hoss
    Yeah, but I'm just wondering if the bearings on mine are same as the G0704 or this one or what? Guess I'll find out when I try to install the ACs that fit the G0704.

I had thought that the LMT25L is the same as the G0704 except for the motor and controller.

Worst case I'll re-grease what's there.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
    Yeah, but I'm just wondering if the bearings on mine are same as the G0704 or this one or what? Guess I'll find out when I try to install the ACs that fit the G0704.

I had thought that the LMT25L is the same as the G0704 except for the motor and controller.

Worst case I'll re-grease what's there.
    Might be a third size set altogether, won't know till you yank her apart.
    Hoss

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    Might be a third size set altogether, won't know till you yank her apart.
    Hoss
    Expect a photo or two if they are different. Just waiting on the fancy grease.

I hear these buzz if I don't slowly warm up the machine. So I am expecting to want to replace them.

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast