Need Help! Double Ball Nut Spacer Problem

Thread: Double Ball Nut Spacer Problem

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Double Ball Nut Spacer Problem

Hello everyone,
    I'm very new to cnc
    I'm trying to put the ball nut on a screw, but I cannot make the spacer ring tightened between the nut's halves. Now it looks like the spacer is not doing anything? I think it must be tight between the halves. I
    Am I missing something? I have the same problem with 3 nuts. The nuts are 2005.
    Thanks in advance
    Regards,
    Vilyo

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Double Ball Nut Spacer Problem-20210813_225159-jpg   Double Ball Nut Spacer Problem-20210813_225149-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Double Ball Nut Spacer Problem

Looks like you need some shims or a thinner spacer. Looks like that is not quite a finished system.

Or you could make a screw adjustable system that would preload the nuts.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Vilyoo View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I'm very new to cnc
    I'm trying to put the ball nut on a screw, but I cannot make the spacer ring tightened between the nut's halves. Now it looks like the spacer is not doing anything? I think it must be tight between the halves. I
    Thanks in advance
    Regards,
    Vilyo
    There should be no gap between the Spacer they are ground to the correct thickness this will give you the correct preload when you assemble it correctly

Don't mix up the spacers they may be different for each assembly

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Double Ball Nut Spacer Problem-double-nut-png  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello everyone,
    I'm very new to cnc
    Thanks in advance
    Regards,
    Vilyo

How did they arrive when you bought them?. Were they seperates ie: not pre-fitted to the screws?.
    You've either mixed them up or manuf didn't bother checking preloads.
    Either way, That's a damn large distance.

You can either try to shim them out or, leave nuts on without the bars- slide spacers out- skim down spacers a little at a time- test fitting as you go until you get thereabouts.
    A minor discrepancy can be dealt with a lot easier than a large one afaic using alu foil.

Downloads
    Uploads

The nut arrived with a plastic cylinder inside it. When I try to move it on the screw the gap appeared. there is always 2mm gap between the spacer and the nut

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Double Ball Nut Spacer Problem-232702199_539515347259201_2967558959906445791_n-jpg   Double Ball Nut Spacer Problem-233918643_795262561144890_6564812868673013835_n-jpg   Double Ball Nut Spacer Problem-235033583_344124444039178_618886292246528533_n-jpg   Double Ball Nut Spacer Problem-236139760_142438044702078_6534532022724568933_n-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

It seems that the spacer is a bit bigger than it should be.
    If I make the spacer 5.76mm thick I guess it will be fine? What do u think? The spacer is 6.33mm now

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Double Ball Nut Spacer Problem-20210814_160242-jpg   Double Ball Nut Spacer Problem-20210814_160233-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

It seems that the spacer is a bit bigger than it should be.
    If I make the spacer 5.76mm thick I guess it will be fine? What do u think? The spacer is 6.33mm now
    it should be bigger than the gap this is how the preload is done, the measuring you are doing is not very accurate with a digital caliper it does seem to be bigger than it should be but should be bigger than the gap

With the 2 nuts mounted try and squeeze the spacer in between to see if it can fit, the correct way would be to remove the 2 keys, assemble with the spacer then rotate the nut into position and put the 2 keys back in place

Contact the seller before you do anything, the spacer would have to be Ground on a surface grinder if it needs any machining

Last edited by mactec54; 08-14-2021 at 09:35 AM.
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    it should be bigger than the gap this is how the preload is done, the measuring you are doing is not very accurate with a digital caliper it does seem to be bigger than it should be but should be bigger than the gap

With the 2 nuts mounted try and squeeze the spacer in between to see if it can fit, the correct way would be to remove the 2 keys, assemble with the spacer then rotate the nut into position and put the 2 keys back in place

Contact the seller before you do anything, the spacer would have to be Ground on a surface grinder if it needs any machining
    I cant tighten the nuts more than that.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Double Ball Nut Spacer Problem-20210814_190204-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I cant tighten the nuts more than that.
    Show this to the seller ,does each Ballnut have the spacer it came with as this is the normal way to assemble them

Are all your spacers the same thickness with a rough measurement, if not they may be mixed up and you have to add a thinner one on this screw, it would not have to be much different in thickness to be in the right position

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

the nuts came with original package and were with the keys assembled. All spacers are the same thickness. The best solution might be to reduce the thickness of the current spacers..

Downloads
    Uploads

the nuts came with original package and were with the keys assembled. All spacers are the same thickness. The best solution might be to reduce the thickness of the current spacers..
    The first thing would be to contact the supplier we may be missing something, some of these cheaper Ballscrews have a Belleville washer to do the preload so the spacers may be ok and just missing the Belleville washer there are lots of different way they do this type of Preload

If you where to Grind the spacers they would be a lot of back and forward to get the right thickness

Mactec54

Shim it will foil until the keys line up.

Downloads
    Uploads

yes, i guess that will be the easiest way. i hope it will work fine. need to add near 2mm between the spacer and the nuts to line up the keys

Start by complaining to the seller. Especially because it's multiple parts.

After that, feeler gages might be easier than foil given the gap. Either way, stuff some some junk in there and get it preloaded.

Downloads
    Uploads

the seller is awful, i had many problems with my order. finally most of the problems are fixed. i will never buy again from the same seller.

Downloads
    Uploads

The easy way is to just make a screw adjustable system. I have done this before and it works great. Allows you to exactly set the preload to your personal preference, no shimming required.

Or buy some quality ball screws from THK, Hiwin, or Thomson.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Or a rubber bumper in there, takes less measuring, but also has less precise preload.

Downloads
    Uploads

what do u mean by adjustable system? I already payed 150 euro for 3 nuts. I dont want to buy another.

Downloads
    Uploads

The nut arrived with a plastic cylinder inside it. When I try to move it on the screw the gap appeared. there is always 2mm gap between the spacer and the nut

My point of view is they were never tested on a screw to match preload. Stuck some generic off the shelf spacers in.

Show the seller the pics with them on the screws. If no response I would grind down and then fine tune with foil. Will be easier than going bigger.
    Don't take straight down to 5.76. start a bit bigger.
    I have mine loaded pretty tight using the foil method (pushing away from each other).
    I went a little far and am limited to 3000mm/min until it sounds rough but that's fine for me.

My backlash in the nut is 0.015mm and you can feel a bit of a bite in there.
    When on the machine with stresses etc it comes out just shy of 0.03mm overall. Happy enough with that and took effort.
    Lets see how long they last.

Last edited by dazp1976; 08-14-2021 at 06:56 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

what do u mean by adjustable system? I already payed 150 euro for 3 nuts. I dont want to buy another.
    Design a nut/screw system to replace the spacer, just a threaded collar. Very simple to build.

, or put an end plate on the ball nut housing and use grub screws to apply preload.

That's what I did here, the grub screws are circled, and one more is hidden above the ball screw. Sorry I don't have a better picture.

Double Ball Nut Spacer Problem-img_0463-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Double Ball Nut Spacer Problem-img_0463-jpg  
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA