Ballscrew Reballing and lube help.

Thread: Ballscrew Reballing and lube help.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Ballscrew Reballing and lube help.

I just recieved my 6040 frame, however, I took most of it apart to see what I'm dealing with, and ignored my better judgement with ballscrews.
    Eventually, I put all the balls back into the internal recirculating nut, and as a note I did notice a space in each raceway which is about one ball width but a final one wouldn't fit. I'm guessing that's how it's supposed to be and I didn't lose any balls.

I didn't apply any lube, and actually stripped all the grease off with solvent. Later on I added some engine oil to keep it from rusting but know it won't work for operation.

What is an ideal lubricant for ball screws in a wood dust filled environment?

Also, what is good for those generic linear bearings found in the 6040 Chinese machines?

Thanks in advance!

Josh

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Ballscrew Reballing and lube help.

Quote Originally Posted by rshirsagar5 View Post
    The right oil or oil grease for ball screw gatherings lessens unscheduled downtime for repair by guaranteeing that the congregations convey their normal administration life.

The important parameters to consider when you select or outline a ball screw get together are working burden, speed, precision, environment, and force prerequisites. What's more, whether you select a moved ball screw or an accuracy ground ball screw, grease is another essential component.
    for the english folks, there is the new age bull**** generator. Page not found
    you may have to google for it, forum software is pretty smart, its quite hilarious. new age bullsh*t generator.

Problem with wood dust is wood contains silica, a very hard material. it is nearly single handedly responsible for the fact that carbide cutters don't last forever cutting wood.
    "I did notice a space in each raceway which is about one ball width but a final one wouldn't fit. I'm guessing that's how it's supposed to be and I didn't lose any balls. "
    that is about right. if you want to fit that last ball in there.. you'd probably have to make every other ball .001" smaller in diameter than the other (they don't carry the load but they rotate backwards as they slide through the ball)

jury is still out as to wheter or not offsizing every other ball improves life or not. probably depends on velocity and load, and contamination. none of which are easy to quantify.

Downloads
    Uploads

Some are packed that way from day one, I have found that it is worth checking when dismantling, as many preloaded B.S.'s size every other one between 1thou and 2 thou smaller.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

The wiper is there to keep chips and debris out. But it's just a teflon or plastic wiper, how good could it be? For wood customers I usually roll some felt, and jam it in the nut and then glue it in place and trim away the excess. Doesn't have to look pretty, its main function is to keep away wood chips. Soak it in a little oil and you've got a winner!

My name is Ed Ross with RossCNC.com out of Los Angeles. Been doing this 20+ years and it works.

When you have two different size balls, you always put them back in a staggard load. BIG to little, BIG to little. and if you're one odd ball, make it up on the next circuit, one little, one BIG and it all evens out.

If you need a repair, we offer 50% off regular pricing for this forum.

Downloads
    Uploads

Most linear bearing manufacturers specs that I've read seem to recommend an NLGI grade 2 non-molybdenum synthetic grease such as Shell Alvania EP2 or equivalent for general purpose use. Special environments (eg vacuum, food, low-dust, extreme loads or speeds) will often have their own recommendations. Ballscrews often list oil or grease, again, usually NLGI 2 for general use. Oil is less sticky than grease which can be an advantage in dusty environments such as woodwork.