Need Help! Has anyone replaced/flipped around the copper plate in the Auto Z tool?

Thread: Has anyone replaced/flipped around the copper plate in the Auto Z tool?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Has anyone replaced/flipped around the copper plate in the Auto Z tool?

Somehow the magnet didn't make a great connection with my tool and I crashed it into the copper Auto Z Plate. Lesson learned. Always tap the plate to the tool and watch for the probe icon to change.

Anyway, I've got a nice little gouge in the copper plate I'd like to remedy. I'd like to flip the plate over, or swap it with the backside (which I don't use all that much). Has anyone taken this thing apart? Just removing the four bolts wasn't enough for it to pop open. Seems like there might be some kind of headless set screw holding it all together. Before going to town on it, has anyone managed to open one of these cleanly?

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Has anyone replaced/flipped around the copper plate in the Auto Z tool?

I can answer my own question The two halves do come apart. There's an alignment pin between the two halves which holds it all together a little more tightly than I was expecting. It comes loose with a spudger or screw driver. Minding the spring, so the whole thing doesn't shoot across the room, I was able to swap the top and bottom plates and live to crash a second tool in the hopefully distant future.

BTW, hat tip to Avid support. I wasn't sure they'd be cool with the idea of me opening this thing. But they quickly replied in email that it was doable and cautioned me about the spring.