Newbie Dual cnc and plasma machine build

Thread: Dual cnc and plasma machine build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dual cnc and plasma machine build

Hi guys,

I am planning on purchasing an Avid pro 5x10" machine and getting it shipped all the way to Australia.

I was very excited to learn that you could purchase the extended gantry and add dual z-axis for a plasma cutter to the same machine.

The new plan is to make the machine 5x20" with 5x10 dedicated to routing and the other 5x10 a large waterbed and dedicated to plasma cutting. I don't really need more than a 4x8 bed for plasma cutting but have read somewhere that it is a good idea to keep the axis the same size.

We have a real need for both and I am currently outsourcing all my plasma cutting so I am really hoping this will work.

My questions to you all are:

Do you foresee any problems occurring with building a machine this size that I should be aware of?

Any advice is appreciated

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Dual cnc and plasma machine build

when you plan to purchase cnc router+plasma togehter ,
    1 plasma cutting smoke'effect on spindle etc .
    2 the cnc router table ,aluminum T slot or with vacuum T slot ? plasma water channel +balde table ? plasma table will be up on cnc table ,the effect on cnc cable ? heavy ? water ? heat in the cutting process ?
    3 will you use one system for both cnc and plasma ? normally ,one pcs cnc router and one pcs plasma cutter control system in one control cabinet .Maybe Avid have a better solution on control system .
    4 cnc router +plasma can save workshop space ,share frame ,motor etc cost . but you only use one type function ,
    As we have produce this type machine before accroding end's demand .

we suggest cnc router +extra portable plasma cutter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dukey008 View Post
    Hi guys,

I am planning on purchasing an Avid pro 5x10" machine and getting it shipped all the way to Australia.

I was very excited to learn that you could purchase the extended gantry and add dual z-axis for a plasma cutter to the same machine.

The new plan is to make the machine 5x20" with 5x10 dedicated to routing and the other 5x10 a large waterbed and dedicated to plasma cutting. I don't really need more than a 4x8 bed for plasma cutting but have read somewhere that it is a good idea to keep the axis the same size.

We have a real need for both and I am currently outsourcing all my plasma cutting so I am really hoping this will work.

My questions to you all are:

Do you foresee any problems occurring with building a machine this size that I should be aware of?

Any advice is appreciated
    I have a dual process AvidCNC PRO 60120 machine. They are great fun. My only worry would be that length, 20 feet.

These machines ring like a bell when they get over that 4x4 size and it gets worse the bigger they are. If you are cutting wood you can get away with it but that torch will absolutely show the ringing.

If you don't know what I am talking about when I say ringing, it is the vibrations in the machine just like when a bell is rung. If you tap the machine it will literally ring just like a bell. The vibrations show up as a pattern on the surface you are cutting. The vibrations will move the spindle or torch ever so slightly back and forth out of axis of the intended cutting direction.

This is what is referred to as "rigidity" when we talk about this style of machine. These 8020 machines are notoriously bad with the ringing.

I like to say my machine has a "spring in it's step."

Lol!