Possible CNC rebuild using Avid Components

Thread: Possible CNC rebuild using Avid Components

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Possible CNC rebuild using Avid Components

Couple months ago I came across a 4' x 4' 2006 Practical CNC at an auction and it followed me home. Minimal Google shows that company was not well regarded. The CNC was bought to cut prototype foam designs for wind tunnel testing and had less than 40 hours on it before going to storage. Box of foam tooling came with it.
    It wasn't under power when I got it, actually partially disassembled and I had to remove the gantry for removal from the building. It came with WinCNC controller card and CD, instead I hooked up a Gecko G540 with Acorn to prove sign of life and all axis do travel. The design is odd, rack and pinion from one side of Y axis with shaft through the gantry extrusion for pinion on opposite side rack. Also, the Y axis stepper is mounted inboard of the extruded frame.

My thought at this time is to retrofit it with Avid components as necessary/possible.

1) Key question and need for an opinion - Is the single X axis stepper R&P unique to this company and a bad idea with Nema 23 steppers? That machine is 4' x 4'.
    2) Depending on the opinion of #1, I'm going to buy a single Avid R&P to see if it is anyway compatible with the current machine build rack and pinions. Existing rack is 8 tpi and I can't see a manufacturer name.
    3) In looking at Avid assembly documentation I am unsure of how to fixture/mount new Avid R&P drive mechanisms without the brackets that come in a full Avid machine kit. Anyone done this? I like the Pro Nema 34 design.
    4) The Z axis looks acceptable and I am going to use it until it prove otherwise, then will use an Avid Z axis.
    5) Hiwin linear rails are on X & Y, going to leave them.
    6) Ballscrew Z will be left alone for now.
    7) I'm going to leave the 3.25 PC router on it until all else is done, then consider a spindle.

I have a ShopSabre 23 and once the rebuild project is complete it will be necessary to sell one of them to get some space back in the shop.
    If you notice some rambling and indecision above, it is because I need some opinions and insights.

Steve.