Need Help! Smoothstepper Error returned from USB function FT_Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoothstepper Error returned from USB function FT_Write

Default Smoothstepper Error returned from USB function FT_Write

Mach 3 keeps crashing every now an then, sometimes after multiple reboots and power removed from SSUSB board (using separate 5vdc power supply.

Nearly always happens as soon as I move an axis (using Imach Pendant P1 AS

Machine is 3 axis mill running Mach # Windows 7 Smoothstepper USB v17fd

I've given up for the night after 10 or more crashes.

Just ordered another SS board this time ESS. Wondering if I should just send it back and

Similar Threads:
    Is a sentance fragment?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Smoothstepper Error returned from USB function FT_Write

The USB SS was an interesting start, but the USB is NOT a good bus for power systems. Disaster.
    The ESS has totally replaced the USB version. It works very well.

Cheers
    Roger

Angry Re: Smoothstepper Error returned from USB function FT_Write

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    The USB SS was an interesting start, but the USB is NOT a good bus for power systems. Disaster.
    The ESS has totally replaced the USB version. It works very well.

Cheers
    Roger
    Thanks Roger! I'm so frustrated with the USB version I'm about to rip it out of the box and toss it in the wood stove. Ugh!

Is a sentance fragment?

Downloads
    Uploads

Been there, done that, many years ago.
    The choice years ago of USB was understandable, but just wrong. We now know better.
    Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tristar500 View Post
    Mach 3 keeps crashing every now an then, sometimes after multiple reboots and power removed from SSUSB board (using separate 5vdc power supply.

Nearly always happens as soon as I move an axis (using Imach Pendant P1 AS

Machine is 3 axis mill running Mach # Windows 7 Smoothstepper USB v17fd

I've given up for the night after 10 or more crashes.

Just ordered another SS board this time ESS. Wondering if I should just send it back and
    Sounds like you have some Grounding problems, the ESS will be better, but you still have electrical problems, that won't fix themselves.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Definitely some grounding problems there.

By way of explanation: the USB SS had its ground connected to the PC - by a long (USB) wire. Noise pickup, ground bounce, whatever: nothing but trouble. The ESS on the other has no direct electrical connection via the Ethernet cable, because the Ethernet connection is transformer-coupled. This makes it hugely immune to noise.

Cheers
    Roger

Swapped out the USB cable tonight and so far so good.

It runs for weeks on end with no issues then Bam! crash, crash, crash.... Really hard to diagnose any problem that is intermittent.

New ESS is for my new machine build and should be here Monday. Like most of my builds I've housed the VFD in a separate enclosure and try to keep the HF wiring as far away as possible from everything else.

Is a sentance fragment?

Downloads
    Uploads

Swapped out the USB cable tonight and so far so good.

It runs for weeks on end with no issues then Bam! crash, crash, crash.... Really hard to diagnose any problem that is intermittent.

New ESS is for my new machine build and should be here Monday. Like most of my builds I've housed the VFD in a separate enclosure and try to keep the HF wiring as far away as possible from everything else.
    Yes, a shielded USB cable with ferrite cores at each end is a normal requirement for this type of connection.

Are you using the same Power source for your machine, 240v/120v, (1) AC Main Supply for your machine, if not then you will have a Ground loop, which is what is causing your problem, having the VFD Drive in a separate cabinet does not solve anything, it creates problems if not installed correctly.

Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Yes, a shielded USB cable with ferrite cores at each end is a normal requirement for this type of connection.

Are you using the same Power source for your machine, 240v/120v, (1) AC Main Supply for your machine, if not then you will have a Ground loop, which is what is causing your problem, having the VFD Drive in a separate cabinet does not solve anything, it creates problems if not installed correctly.
    Not sure what's best here. power to the drives, controller, pc etc are all on 110VAC, Spindle is 220 VAC wired to a Hitachi VFD.

I don't think any of the 110 stuff will operate on 220. Same with VFD, it needs 220.

What would you suggest?

Is a sentance fragment?

Downloads
    Uploads

Not sure what's best here. power to the drives, controller, pc etc are all on 110VAC, Spindle is 220 VAC wired to a Hitachi VFD.

I don't think any of the 110 stuff will operate on 220. Same with VFD, it needs 220.

What would you suggest?
    Correct. NA supply is 120v/240v for single phase supply.

If you are in NA which it seems you are, you can use 240v and 120v is quite simple, the 240v supply will have 2 Hot wires 1 neutral and Ground 4 wires, then you can split this up to whatever you need to use, the 240v will use the 2 Hot and Ground, and the 120v use 1 of the Hot wires Neutral and the same Ground, this is how it is normally done when you are using NA Main Ac 240v/120v Power supply.

Mactec54

Talking Re: Smoothstepper Error returned from USB function FT_Write

Correct. NA supply is 120v/240v for single phase supply.

If you are in NA which it seems you are, you can use 240v and 120v is quite simple, the 240v supply will have 2 Hot wires 1 neutral and Ground 4 wires, then you can split this up to whatever you need to use, the 240v will use the 2 Hot and Ground, and the 120v use 1 of the Hot wires Neutral and the same Ground, this is how it is normally done when you are using NA Main Ac 240v/120v Power supply.
    Thanks Macktec, Now this all make sense to me. I'll post back when I get it all hocked up.

Is a sentance fragment?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Macktec, Now this all make sense to me. I'll post back when I get it all hocked up.
    There will be other wiring to look at once you have this sorted, mainly the spindle to VFD Drive cable

Mactec54

There will be other wiring to look at once you have this sorted, mainly the spindle to VFD Drive cable
    If I understand correctly It should be a shielded cable grounded at only one end?

Is a sentance fragment?

Downloads
    Uploads

If I understand correctly It should be a shielded cable grounded at only one end?
    The shield has to be terminated at Both Ends, for most installs of shielded cable, clamped direct to the Ground plane, it is ineffective if not done correctly, and will cause problems.

No all shieled cable is created equal, as it has to have a high flex rating also, for this install.

Mactec54

Does this look right?

Attached Files Attached Files
    Is a sentance fragment?

Downloads
    Uploads

Does this look right?
    No, the Neutral can't be connected to the Ground, the neutral has to be a separate line

The spindle to the VFD needs a Ground wire so needs to be a 4-wire cable plus Shield

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smoothstepper Error returned from USB function FT_Write-120v-240v-png  
    Mactec54

No, the Neutral can't be connected to the Ground, the neutral has to be a separate line

The spindle to the VFD needs a Ground wire so needs to be a 4-wire cable plus Shield
    My Mains have only three wires coming in off the pole. Two hots, one neutral. There's a buss bar in the box connecting the neutral buss to the earth bar.(Earth bar connected to heavy copper line anchored to a rod driven 8 feet in the ground)

I know some newer electrical codes insist on separate neutrals and ground but that is not the case with my shop/home.

Is a sentance fragment?

Not sure if this is an option but I could grab the two hots and the neutral off the mains box and run to a sub-panel with a separate earth ground? Or did I just create yet another ground loop?
    Ugh!

Is a sentance fragment?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    that's called MENS, Multiple Earth-Neutral System.

If you wish to create a sub-main then you would run the two phase (hot) wires and a neutral from the main board and have another earth stake to provide the earth.

Most electrical codes are very specific about the mechanical and electrical properties of an earth stake. It's not rocket science, but you risk running foul of your electrical
    supplier and could even possibly give the insurance company a way to weasel out should it come to a claim, whether its related or not.

The least hassle approach is to run the two phase wires, a neutral, and an earth from your main board.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Not sure if this is an option but I could grab the two hots and the neutral off the mains box and run to a sub-panel with a separate earth ground? Or did I just create yet another ground loop?
    Ugh!
    No.

At the service entrance the Ground and Neutral are bonded, normally you would have a sub panel and that by code will have a separate isolated Neutral from the Ground.

You don't have a sub panel for the house coming from the main service??

Mactec54

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast