Spindle Question

Thread: Spindle Question

Default Spindle Question

Started hearing a buzzing type sound when starting and stopping the machine. Probably there when running too. A have an Avid stock 2.2 air cooled spindle. Pulled the cap off and found the green fan wheel had some of the fins either broke off or wore down some way. Could this be the source of the noise? Can I buy (from where) just the green plastic fan wheel?Spindle Question-img_7207-jpg

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spindle Question-img_7207-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Spindle Question

I could see that balance being off could do that. Are there any small shards stuck to the fan still that could be rubbing?

On another note, I should figure out a method that does not allow that to happen to mine. Maybe some wire mesh that doesn't restrict at all. Otherwise, you may be able to purchase the fan itself from the manufacturer. Just in case it fully breaks apart.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by honesttjohn View Post
    Started hearing a buzzing type sound when starting and stopping the machine. Probably there when running too. A have an Avid stock 2.2 air cooled spindle. Pulled the cap off and found the green fan wheel had some of the fins either broke off or wore down some way. Could this be the source of the noise? Can I buy (from where) just the green plastic fan wheel?Spindle Question-img_7207-jpg
    The noise should be come from the broken fan.
    If need to replace it you need to know its model name and the spindle motor model name and brand.

http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

Downloads
    Uploads

it looks like the fan has no separate drive? Is it driven by spindle directly?
    Then you have the tool tip vibration, making bad surfaces and raising risk of tool breakage.
    You can order 3D print of the plastic part in worst case.
    You can install independent fan instead.

Downloads
    Uploads

It is powered by the spindle. It's branded but hard to find much info about the spindle at all. However, I think it could be possible to get a fix. Avid might be able to hook that up through the vendor if you ask them.

I sent Avid an email last nite (Suday) and got a reply today (Monday). They had an old spindle that they are pulling the fan off an sending to me. The also are not using GMT spindles anymore, but have gone to Hiteco, which will fit in the same mount and are wired the same. You only have to change some VFD settings. Can't ask for anything better than that.

Downloads
    Uploads

That sucks for me. I only bought my spindle less than a year ago...

Trying to find parts for the GMT spindle is a real bear.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's good that they're taking care of you, John. That sounds like excellent customer service!

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

I sent Avid an email last nite (Suday) and got a reply today (Monday). They had an old spindle that they are pulling the fan off an sending to me. The also are not using GMT spindles anymore, but have gone to Hiteco, which will fit in the same mount and are wired the same. You only have to change some VFD settings. Can't ask for anything better than that.
    You have to find out what caused that to happen or the same thing is going to happen

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You have to find out what caused that to happen or the same thing is going to happen
    Do you think it might be a balancing issue?.
    Friday afternoon built motor?.

Keep our fingers crossed for him.

It's worked for 3 years without problems. I'm guessing cheap Chinese plastic either started to give out or wood chips got stuck in there someway. But several fins were affected.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's worked for 3 years without problems. I'm guessing cheap Chinese plastic either started to give out or wood chips got stuck in there someway. But several fins were affected.
    No such things as cheap plastics for an injection molded part like this that runs at high RPM, it would of failed in the first minute if it was made from cheap plastic, where the pieces are missing it hit something

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    No such things as cheap plastics for an injection molded part like this that runs at high RPM, it would of failed in the first minute if it was made from cheap plastic, where the pieces are missing it hit something
    I had the same thing happen to me only 6 months owning approximately the fan jus exploded after running for 15 minutes off and on

Ill have to contact avid hope they can fix it

Downloads
    Uploads

This just happened to my Hiteco on Friday. About a month old. Waiting to hear back from Avid, but I guess I should find a source for spare fans as well.

Spindle Question-img_2646-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
    This just happened to my Hiteco on Friday. About a month old. Waiting to hear back from Avid, but I guess I should find a source for spare fans as well.

Spindle Question-img_2646-jpg
    Thats a different fan from the other ones that failed, I guess they are all poor quality from this manufacture

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi - Seems many issues with Chinese plastic moulded stuff at present. They seem to leave something out or use additives to reduce cost that impacts performance. Same with nylon tapes in yacht industry. For many years these lasted many many years but now they die within a year. Supposed to be same material from same supplier but clearly not. Peter