Opinions before I buy AVID

Thread: Opinions before I buy AVID

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Opinions before I buy AVID

I have been following AVID for so long...I have the owners cell phone number from when it was just him running it. I have come close to pulling the trigger a few times, but life has always kind of made it impossible to move forward. I am at a point now where I have some cash set aside specifically for a new machine. I have gone through several iterations of the best way to spend the money, and was hoping to get a few opinions before I put my order together.
    For the longest time, I was sure I was going to go with the 2x4 Pro, but have decided that the 4x4 Pro isn't that much bigger, and doubling the capacity I feel will be a much better long term decision. My main issue is that I can afford the frame kit and the leg kit, but not much else from AVID. I would love to just do a plug and play system and be done with it, but I just don't have the cash. I have a left over Masso Controller and some Leadshine DM556T drivers and was planning on getting by with setting up the controller for this machine using those. I also was planning on getting the frame kit set up for NEMA 34 motors since its only $100 more. Again, I am looking at the cost of the NEMA 34 motors from AVID and they are just pushing me past where I can go right now. I found some motors from Automation Technologies that are an 8wire Nema 34 with similar TQ specs and low inductance when wired in parallel. They have the same sized 1/2" shaft, just not keyed (I don't think being not keyed will cause me any issue?) and are $70 for each vs $120 for the AVID Nema34's. I would rather go with the AVID motors just for the sake I know they are matched to the system an will be no drama, but I am already a little over budget just doing the frame and leg kit. I am trying to decide if the AVID limit switches will plug and play with the Masso controller or if they need voltage applied to them? Lastly, I have an old AVID (CRP) router mount for a PC 7518 router and was planning on using that, but thing I need to buy the mounting plate and was going to get the tramming plate with it.
    My thinking is get the hardware in place, or at least the hardest and most expensive things to upgrade in place up front. Then work on refining the controller, limit switches, router and motors if need be when time and money permit. Just wanted to see if there is anything I am missing or making a bone head move on. As I stated before...I already have the Masso, drivers and 36v 11A power supply. I have plenty of shielded cable. So if I'm not missing anything major, I can be up and cutting and still be in my $5500-6k budget.
    Your input is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Erik

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Opinions before I buy AVID

If I were trying to save money, I'd get slightly smaller motors. https://www.automationtechnologiesin...kl34h280-45-8a
    But I'd want to run them on a 60V power supply, as that 36V supply is going to limit performance a fair amount.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Ger21. Those would be an upgrade for the NEMA 23's and still save me close to $100 so great option. The main reason I'd be running the 36v supply is because I already have it I think the DM556T drivers only will handle 50v max anyway and I have the 36v supply can run up to 41-42v and I have it currently set at 40v if I'm not mistaken. Do you feel like my buying logic is solid? I just don't want to miss anything major.

Downloads
    Uploads

If money is an issue I would opt out of the leg kit. That's a lot of money for a pretty stand. Weld one up or dimensional lumber if need be and spend the saved funds for better electronics. I'd just buy the appropriate power supply.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have gone back and forth a bunch on the stand idea. Maybe I will revisit it again, but I really like the idea of the integrated stand. It would seem it adds some rigidity to the system, adjustable feet (which I know would not be hard to do on my own table) and its just so...well like you said...pretty. Yes, the power supply I know is a weak point for sure.

Downloads
    Uploads

The problem with the power supply is that you are limited by the drives. To maximise performance from the Nema 34's, you'll need new drives and a new power supply. You probably just want to use what you have, and upgrade down the road.
    You can get drives pretty cheap these days. https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/di...or-dm860t.html

I don't see anything wrong with your plans, but I too would build my own base. But lumber is not cheap these days.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm really not sure how rigid their stands and leg kits are. I was watching a motor tuning video for some servo's on their machine and the machine still jerked from rapid gantry movements. Welded steel base is the best option.

Downloads
    Uploads

I can "weld", but...more of a farm welder than anything. It would be much more true and square if I made a wood base. Its about10-14 weeks lead time. It would give me plenty of time to build a solid base and hunt down some "cheap" lumber...or at least maybe wait out the spike in lumber prices. Thanks for the good ideas. I realize its not ideal, but I just want to leave the path open to get there eventually. The drives I currently have are form StepperOnline...so I am familiar with them and their products, but thank you for the heads up. That was the main reason I thought about going with the larger $70 motor...so when I decided to upgrade drives, the motors were already done.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    The problem with the power supply is that you are limited by the drives. To maximise performance from the Nema 34's, you'll need new drives and a new power supply. You probably just want to use what you have, and upgrade down the road.
    You can get drives pretty cheap these days. https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/di...or-dm860t.html

I don't see anything wrong with your plans, but I too would build my own base. But lumber is not cheap these days.
    I have really been digging into the options if I do not buy a stand. For almost the same money as a 4x4 with a stand, I could go to a 5x5 machine. I have never done much with Baltic Birch, but looking at all options for the future...maybe a 5x5 would be a good investment. The 5x5 would be pushing it for my current space size wise, but I just don't want to kick myself down the road. Thoughts against the 5x5 is obviously $$$ and the fact that I plan I doing some aluminum "milling" and I'm not sure how the added length would effect rigidity. I appreciate everyone's opinions.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm a firm believer in going with the biggest you can. I went with a wider machine about 5.5'x10.5'. But I worked my way up to that size. IN hind sight wish I would have went big from the first place. I've never needed more than 4'1" foot of X travel but have had to use the full length a few times for surfacing large slabs. No worries on the aluminum. The size difference will not make that much of a difference if any. End mill and misting or flood cooling is a bigger concern. I've only done flood milling and O flute dry milling in aluminum. I've also done some cold rolled steel with flood cooling and a 1/8 single up-flute endmill. All done with a 2.2kw spindle.

If you could somehow do a 4x8 or larger machine where you can load full sheets... that really made a difference for me the first couple of years. These days I'm doing a lot of smaller projects working with more expensive materials. Most likely going to be adding a second gantry or splitting the machine up into 2 machines before the year is out to increase production.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CFANDZ View Post
    I'm a firm believer in going with the biggest you can. I went with a wider machine about 5.5'x10.5'. But I worked my way up to that size. IN hind sight wish I would have went big from the first place. I've never needed more than 4'1" foot of X travel but have had to use the full length a few times for surfacing large slabs. No worries on the aluminum. The size difference will not make that much of a difference if any. End mill and misting or flood cooling is a bigger concern. I've only done flood milling and O flute dry milling in aluminum. I've also done some cold rolled steel with flood cooling and a 1/8 single up-flute endmill. All done with a 2.2kw spindle.

If you could somehow do a 4x8 or larger machine where you can load full sheets... that really made a difference for me the first couple of years. These days I'm doing a lot of smaller projects working with more expensive materials. Most likely going to be adding a second gantry or splitting the machine up into 2 machines before the year is out to increase production.
    That is kind of where I am at...go as big as possible. If I decide to make it longer later on I can, but going wider doesn't seem cost effective. Plus I like the idea of being able to toss a sheet of Baltic Birch on there.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hate to double post, but just found some used NEMA 34 AVID steppers on Ebay. Got all 4 for $150...so I'm excited. Even if they have some miles on them...I have never had a stepper fail...so I feel like it was a good deal!

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm no expert in electricity, but since I have a 36v PS, can I not buy another 36v PS and wire them in series? I seem to remember that this was ok, but diodes were required? Also, I ended up buying to DM8060T drivers from StepperOnline and they can run on AC or DC. AC voltage max is 80V, but am unsure what exactly I should do. I am thinking a 230 to 115 step down transformer would work to take me from 120 to 60 V? Does anyone know if I can do this? Or if it would be worth it instead of just buying a couple PS and running them in series?
    Thanks...I know these are probably pretty basic questions.