Need Help! X AXIS Freezes and all other axis keep moving

Thread: X AXIS Freezes and all other axis keep moving

Downloads
    Uploads

Default X AXIS Freezes and all other axis keep moving

Hello all, I'm having an issue with my machine. I have the older Vcon machine with a CRP800-00E-8 nema 34 plug and play setup. On longer runs, sometimes my X axis (gantry) will stop moving. Mach 3 continues to run and my z axis and both Y axis motors continue like there is no problem. This problem has been plaguing me on and off for a few years now. It was intermediate so I never cared that much but just chalked it up to Mach 3. Problem is now a days mistakes like that cost me several hundred dollars as I'm working with much pricier materials and end mills. I have to get this fixed.

Recently I changed my PC from an older model to a newer one and installed the latest version of Mach 3 on Win 10. Previously I was running Mach 3 on XP on the old pc and still had the issue. So I know it's not my PC. If anyone can help with trouble shooting, I would appreciate it.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: X AXIS Freezes and all other axis keep moving

My first guess would be cabling. I would run some gcode that exercises the machine for a long time and work my way around the machine manipulating cables and connectors to see if I could make it fail. Something like a circular contour with a very small stepdown running at a relatively slow speed should give you lots of time to check out all the cabling.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I did 2 runs each today, both over 2 hours and no problems. I'm thinking maybe noise from my VFD. It's just so random. It'll do 20 runs flawless then out of no where X axis problems. I loaded up mach 4 today. I think I'm going to try it for a while and see if the problem comes up.

Downloads
    Uploads

Noise from the VFD would not stop one axis.
    I'd first swap cables between the bad axis and a good one, and see if the problem moves to the other axis.
    If not, then try swapping drives.

My guess is a cable or connection issue as well.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

CFandZ, Quite interesting. I have had the same problem since 5/2020 when I bought the machine. Some of the following notes may be helpful to you in diagnosis.

Here is what I discovered:
    Stepper motor with factory damaged winding, I took it apart and saw it.
    Swapped motors and the problem went from Z axis to the X axis.
    Then the problem started again on the Z after getting new parts.
    Last night it started again on the Z.

Each cycle has resulted in Avid giving me new parts. Since it is intermittent, assurance of a fix is uncertain. They gave me: 1) new control box, 2) new drivers, 3) 2 new motors and a cable

It is hard to be certain what is up, I know moving a defective motor moved the problem (along with seeing the winding damage plainly).

Feel free to follow my document on the malfunction, here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    The document reads from bottom upward chronologically. I welcome any conclusions you may infer after comparing the events.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Insect, looks like you have been through the wringer with this problem. Well today I was doing a probing action and again my X axis stopped, All my other axis and mach 4 kept going. I opened up the control box and the top controller was flashing red. No power was going to the motor. I checked the wire but didn't see an issue. The only thing that fixed it was cycling the power. Everything appears to be tight and secure in the box. I think I'll send Avid an email and see what they recommend. This problem is costing me money

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I'd first swap cables between the bad axis and a good one, and see if the problem moves to the other axis.

Well it certainly is not a VFD issue. I was doing a probing run today and it happen, I did see one of the drives were flashing red after the stepper lost power. I'll swap that one with one of my Y axis motors. All though it's really hard to tell what driver goes to which motor.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Insect View Post
    CFandZ, Quite interesting. I have had the same problem since 5/2020 when I bought the machine. Some of the following notes may be helpful to you in diagnosis.

Here is what I discovered:
    Stepper motor with factory damaged winding, I took it apart and saw it.
    Swapped motors and the problem went from Z axis to the X axis.
    Then the problem started again on the Z after getting new parts.
    Last night it started again on the Z.

Each cycle has resulted in Avid giving me new parts. Since it is intermittent, assurance of a fix is uncertain. They gave me: 1) new control box, 2) new drivers, 3) 2 new motors and a cable

It is hard to be certain what is up, I know moving a defective motor moved the problem (along with seeing the winding damage plainly).

Feel free to follow my document on the malfunction, here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    The document reads from bottom upward chronologically. I welcome any conclusions you may infer after comparing the events.
    I just looked at your video. I don't know if it is your issue but I know vacuums can create static electricity. I know when I was using a dust collection system I had to ground it. I know it will be messy but it may be worth trying a few runs without your vacuum hose.

Downloads
    Uploads

Per Avid, looks like I have a bad driver. I was informed generally when a driver starts to blink red it indicates it's going bad. I have one on order. I'll report back after I've gotten the new one installed and run a dozen or so runs.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post

As always, Gerry is correct. There was a short in a wire. I've had dozen of hours ran after the fix with no problems. I did also change out the driver.