Question about Avid Spindle Tramming mount

Thread: Question about Avid Spindle Tramming mount

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Question about Avid Spindle Tramming mount

I am looking at getting a Pro4848 and am not sure what I should order for the spindle mount.

They have a "3HP Spindle Tramming Mount". I love the idea of a tramming mount and it will work with any spindle I choose. However, it looks like it only allows adjustment in the X dimension. While nice, I think I still have to shim for tramming in the Y dimension. The instructions seem to assume that the Z Axis rails are perfectly perpendicular the base. Am I missing something here?

Is it worth $105? I think it is, even if only one axis because I hate tramming. With my limited skill set, last time it took about a whole day and I filled my cursing quota for the year. Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Question about Avid Spindle Tramming mount

The tramming mount is a good idea, but as you've imagined, it only works in one plane. However, if you use an accurate square against the table and the guide rails on the X axis (or against the moving Z mounting plate), you can dial in the Y axis plane as you tighten the screws on the 80 x 80 extrusions to side mounting plates. You'll need to support the gantry extrusion assembly to maintain a consistent dimension to the table.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Question about Avid Spindle Tramming mount

Thanks. I've decided to get it. Thinking about it a bit, I'm not sure how a tramming mount in 2 planes would work and be super rigid.