NEWBIE needing input on buying a 5 year old PRO4848 V-CON system

Thread: NEWBIE needing input on buying a 5 year old PRO4848 V-CON system

Downloads
    Uploads

Question NEWBIE needing input on buying a 5 year old PRO4848 V-CON system

Full Disclosure:
    I am a complete NEWBIE in the CNC space & know enough to be a danger to myself!
    I'm comfortable & enjoy working with wood as woodworking runs in the family.
    I'm comfortable on a computer & feel confident that I will be able to learn CNC related software.
    1st post here.
    ...be gentle!
    ...do I need a safe-word?

Having said that, I've been looking at CNC routers off-&-on for the last 18 months. Sometimes feel that I have paralysis by analysis but believe that I'm ready to buy a machine. Would love to get to the point where I could make a living with the CNC machine and my other woodworking tools but initially looking to start with small projects like toys, signs, small furniture with wood primarily but also adding acrylic projects & a laser & drag-knife. Possibly hooking up with a cabinet maker to cut out cabinets when I'm not using it for my projects.

Based on research and especially because I'm a newbie the positive customer & user support that I hear, I'm looking at at a AvidCNC / CNC Router Parts machine. Specifically a PRO4848. Would love to buy new but hard to justify the price of a new machine right out of the gate.

I found a 5 year old PRO4848 on the second hand market that looks to be in pretty good condition and claims that use has been less than 200 hours.

Here's the specs:
    PRO4848 CNC Router Kit
    V-CON Linear Motion Rails System
    Nema 34 compatible
    Z-axis Travel / Gantry Height: 12"/12"
    Complete Cable Track Kit
    Z-axis Version: 12" Travel Ballscrew
    Steel Leg Kit
    4-Axis Digital Plug & Play Nema 34 System
    Cable Configuration: (2) 12' & (2) 20' cables
    Additional Axes: None [4-axis, Standard]
    Pepperl + Fuchs Proximity Limit Switch Kit
    Auto Z Touch Plate
    Bosch 1617 or Porter Cable 690/892 Mount 3.5" Dia.

This is what I think I know about the machine:
    It was a great machine when it came out.
    The machine runs.
    The machine appears to cut true & accurate. (tested by cutting out a circle & a square)
    The new PRO4848 has upgraded from the V-CON rails.
    The rail & bearings wear after extended use causing less accuracy.
    The new leg kit is not compatible with this model due to the V-CON rails.
    The 12" z-axis travel may compromise stiffness and flex, especially if upgraded to a spindle & used at high speeds.
    The upgrade kit for the unit to be like the current PRO4848 cost $2,295
    I do like the option that I can upgrade the machine to a 4896 down the road, if needed, for another $1,650 (after I upgrade to the current model)

So, I'm interested in any & all thoughts from everyone, especially those with a similar machine.

Anyone still using this machine or familiar with these machines:
    - any thing I should be looking for besides the wear?
    - have you upgraded your machine?
    - do I need to upgrade the machine if everything is working & it cuts wood?
    - if you did upgrade how long did it take?
    - with the current configuration will it work with the 3hp P&P spindle / VFD System that AvidCNC has?
    - anything else I should be asking or looking for?
    - with the current configuration can this cut soft, thin metals or do I need a spindle to do that?

If I missed anything or you need additional information from me to help answer a question please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

PS Sorry about the pictures. I took a ton more but due to lighting, old phone, idiot user many did not come out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: NEWBIE needing input on buying a 5 year old PRO4848 V-CON system

- do I need to upgrade the machine if everything is working & it cuts wood?
    Nope. If it works, just keep using it.

- with the current configuration can this cut soft, thin metals or do I need a spindle to do that?
    The spindle won't make any difference at all. You can cut aluminum or brass, but no ferrous metals. And thin metals are not easy to cut.

How much are they asking for the machine?

- with the current configuration will it work with the 3hp P&P spindle / VFD System that AvidCNC has?
    Call AVID and ask them. It should.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

ger21
    Appreciate the quick reply & thanks for the info.

Seller is asking $3.5K. I haven't found anything comparable on the second hand market.

Based on a new machine, if I was to purchase the upgrade kit + shipping, Mach4, & the Auto Z & Corner Finding Touch Plate to make it like the current model, even at full price it would be $2.2K less. Of course I would have to account for time/labor to install the upgrades, but even then I know I'd still be saving money. The biggest concern I have is that as a newbie I wouldn't have that safety net of reaching out to AvidCNC for support. Yes, I realize that you & other users on this & other forums have helped numerous people, & I'm extremely grateful for individuals like yourself who take the time to help us rookies, you understand that it still isn't exactly the same thing. I just keep questioning if the money saved is going to equal all the help & support I think I am going to need, seeing how this is my 1st venture into the CNC space.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a 7 year old vcon based machine with many more than 200 hours on it. I just replaced the pinion/pulley parts with the new parts Avid now sells. The bearing surfaces had developed a lot of play. While the new parts have a much better bearing in them, the excessive play is probably the result of my running too much pressure on the pinion adjustment and possibly the belt tension. Even if that were not the case, 7 years of operation and $100 in maintenance costs is pretty good for a machine like this.

Downloads
    Uploads

kjk2002
    I appreciate your reply & the information you shared. One of my concerns was with the older machine that it was outdated but that obviously isn't the case. Plus the fact that this machine always has the option of upgrading to the new model plus increasing the length is a nice option to have that many other manufacturers cannot duplicate.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well folks, the old adage rings true: You snooze, You Lose! Either that or the CNC gods hate me! Seriously though I really think it was a good machine at a good price but maybe I just wasn't ready for that machine &/or I guess it wasn't meant to be. Maybe this is the CNC gods telling me to buy the new machine & get the support! I'll keep looking.

I have upgraded my 4x8 to linear bearings and honestly, these are better. But if you want to build your own machine, I do have a set of V-con bearings and AVID parts that go with it. I'd give these away very cheap. I am in Brooklyn NY.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by R-Carpenter View Post
    I have upgraded my 4x8 to linear bearings and honestly, these are better. But if you want to build your own machine, I do have a set of V-con bearings and AVID parts that go with it. I'd give these away very cheap. I am in Brooklyn NY.
    Hello, Do you still have those old V-Con parts available?

Quote Originally Posted by ssw View Post
    Hello, Do you still have those old V-Con parts available?
    Yes, still have the parts.