Need Help! CNC Router parts (AVID) PRO machine for 3D detail carving: Is it capable?

Thread: CNC Router parts (AVID) PRO machine for 3D detail carving: Is it capable?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC Router parts (AVID) PRO machine for 3D detail carving: Is it capable?

Anyone have experience with detailed carving on an AVID pro machine? Looking at specifically the machines with rack and pinion as I think the benchtop machines are ballscrew.

I am specifically looking at the 4848 pro machine and while I dont have much in terms of 3D detail carving in mind I just want to understand if this is a limitation.

Anyone have any pictures or examples to share from there pro machines?

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC Router parts (AVID) PRO machine for 3D detail carving: Is it capable?

Definitely capable of detailed carvings. I've done brass and wood carvings. This is a sculpt I made in zbrush and carved using my 4th axis. I upgraded to an actual spindle from them last week and from the stuff I've run since, it's going to be even better.
    This was pulled into fusion and dine in an indexing setup before I had full fourth capabilities in it. Rotary itself cannot do this because it cuts from a zero location on the y the whole time. Vectric is a waste of you plan on doing rotary and want fourth axis. It unwraps only.
    I've also done other carvings of signs that are on the 2.5d side.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC Router parts (AVID) PRO machine for 3D detail carving: Is it capable?

Those pieces look great. What specific machine are you running? Any upgrades other than spindle and 4th axis rotary you mention?

Quote Originally Posted by ubergeekseven View Post
    Definitely capable of detailed carvings. I've done brass and wood carvings. This is a sculpt I made in zbrush and carved using my 4th axis. I upgraded to an actual spindle from them last week and from the stuff I've run since, it's going to be even better.
    This was pulled into fusion and dine in an indexing setup before I had full fourth capabilities in it. Rotary itself cannot do this because it cuts from a zero location on the y the whole time. Vectric is a waste of you plan on doing rotary and want fourth axis. It unwraps only.
    I've also done other carvings of signs that are on the 2.5d side.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kspe View Post
    Those pieces look great. What specific machine are you running? Any upgrades other than spindle and 4th axis rotary you mention?
    No upgrades. The machine is the pro 4896 and only have nema 23 on mine

Downloads
    Uploads

Kspe,

I have a 7.5yr old standard 4896, using nema 23 motors, and a 2.2kw spindle. Machine controlled by LinuxCNC with 2x parallel ports.

Is this detailed enough? 3D AzTec calendar at 9" round using a 1/16" 3D carving bit, European Beech. Guessing a Pro machine might be a bit better, but I've been supper happy with my Standard machine.

-Bruce
    CNC Router parts (AVID) PRO machine for 3D detail carving: Is it capable?-3d_aztec-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Router parts (AVID) PRO machine for 3D detail carving: Is it capable?-3d_aztec-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I should say that my fourth axis is one I built and not the one from avid. My machine is running mach 3 with their plug n play stuff too.