New Machine Build Benchtop Pro 2x3 - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Benchtop Pro 2x3

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Benchtop Pro 2x3

I have a 4x4 machine by cncrouter parts. They are great to work with and the machine is solid and running great for over 2 years. you will love it

Downloads
    Uploads

Yikes!! I've got a problem. My Benchtop Pro 2x3 machine was working great until about two weeks ago when in started making a "screeching" sound so I immediately stopped using it. Family commitments and other obligations prevented me from looking into the new noise until today.

Here's a short video of the new sound that occurs only when the gantry axis moves to the left:

I started to remove the dust cover to expose the gantry mechanicals and discovered several loose bearings when I removed the lower dust cover:

Benchtop Pro 2x3-181125-1-jpg

To this point, the router has been working great, I've made dozens of 3D carvings and even used the router to make furniture and a "Jack Bench"
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-181125-2-jpg Benchtop Pro 2x3-181125-3-jpg Benchtop Pro 2x3-181125-4-jpg

Although the gantry axis has had heavy use, I've had no crashes and used it very gently. Most of the time it was used to make very light 3D carving cuts. When I'm doing "heavy cutting", it's with a 1/4" bit cutting 1/10- 1/8" at 40 to 50 ipm. I've only cut hardwoods and plywood.

I just sent an email to CNCRouterParts.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Benchtop Pro 2x3-181125-2-jpg   Benchtop Pro 2x3-181125-1-jpg   Benchtop Pro 2x3-181125-3-jpg   Benchtop Pro 2x3-181125-4-jpg  

Last edited by DonFrambach; 11-26-2018 at 12:16 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Replacement part ordered. Hope to be back in business soon!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DonFrambach View Post
    Replacement part ordered. Hope to be back in business soon!
    How often did you grease those bearings?

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    How often did you grease those bearings?
    That may be the problem!!!. I did not grease the bearings. The way I use the router for 3D carvings, the gantry axis (the one that failed) probably travels more than 100 times as far as the other 2. I going to grease everything now!

Downloads
    Uploads

The replacement part arrived last night. Very happy because it wasn't due to arrive until Monday. Cost me some money (as it should) but I'm extremely happy that CNCRP shipped so quickly.

I will ship the damaged one back to CNCRP for repair. This way, I hope to be up and running promptly and I'll have a replacement for my most used axis.

It was securely packaged:
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-181201-2-jpg

It looks to be in perfect condition:
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-181201-3-jpg

Hope to get it installed tonight

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Benchtop Pro 2x3-181201-3-jpg   Benchtop Pro 2x3-181201-2-jpg  
    Last edited by DonFrambach; 12-01-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just about finished installing the new gantry actuator. Still have to tram spindle and attach dust covers.

Benchtop Pro 2x3-181201-4-jpg

Found that the lost bearing came from one of the linear bearings. It was hard to photograph but the dust seal is broken on this edge

Benchtop Pro 2x3-181201-5-jpg

The linear guide was dry but the ball screw was nicely greased. The whole actuator was remarkably clean and no dust was seen.

Benchtop Pro 2x3-181201-6-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Benchtop Pro 2x3-181201-4-jpg   Benchtop Pro 2x3-181201-5-jpg   Benchtop Pro 2x3-181201-6-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Reassembling the router was interesting.

My old gantry actuator was secured to the extruded aluminum cross beam with 14 bolts. The new actuator is secured with 16 bolts. Although I have several extra slide in nuts, I didn't want to take the whole router apart just to put them in. Fortunately, I had two extra roll-in nuts and was able to use them so that the actuator could be secured with all 16 bolts.

The internal mechanism to secure the linear rails and ball screw is different too but that makes no difference in the way that I installed or will use the new actuator.

Here's a photo of the bottom of the two actuators showing the difference. The new actuator is in front
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-181201-7-jpg

I worked out a way to install the gantry actuator without turning the router on its back by making a "table" out of six 2x4's, a sheet of 1/2" MDF, and a sheet of 3/4" plywood. I simply placed the actuator on the "table" and attached the screws. (To be safe, I screwed the 2x4's together.)
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-181201-8-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Benchtop Pro 2x3-181201-7-jpg   Benchtop Pro 2x3-181201-8-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

So just asking; whats the approved lube or oil for the screw, and linear bearings?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    So just asking; whats the approved lube or oil for the screw, and linear bearings?
    When I had trouble with a ball screw shortly after I assembled my router, CNCRP asked me to grease it with this:
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-181202-1-jpg

I'm going to talk to them regarding the repairs required for my old spindle. When I do that, I will confirm lube, lube procedure, and lube schedule. (and will post here)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Benchtop Pro 2x3-181202-1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

The router is now fully operational!!! Very happy with this CNCRouterParts product and recommend highly! I am truly delighted by the excellent support from CNCRP that got me working in less than a week!
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-181202-2-jpg

Couldn't believe by luck. The router was essentially trammed when just reassembled.
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-181202-3-jpg

I did find that the there are fewer screws securing the dust shroud on the new actuator thus making the dust shrouds not interchangeable. The new dust cover is shown in front.
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-181202-4-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Benchtop Pro 2x3-181202-2-jpg   Benchtop Pro 2x3-181202-3-jpg   Benchtop Pro 2x3-181202-4-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I found that special grease on eBay > https://www.ebay.com/itm/323410931682

amazon also carries at $20 a tube shipped.

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Re: Benchtop Pro 2x3

Old thread I know, but I'm finishing the assembly on my identical machine and was wondering what you found out here?

Quote Originally Posted by DonFrambach View Post
    I'm going to talk to them regarding the repairs required for my old spindle. When I do that, I will confirm lube, lube procedure, and lube schedule. (and will post here)
    - - - Updated - - -

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by retrosmith View Post
    Old thread I know, but I'm finishing the assembly on my identical machine and was wondering what you found out here?-
    Kind of disappointed with CNCRouterParts.

CNCRouterParts told me to "simply" remove the dust covers from each axis in turn, and then remove the central screw from the outside end of the dust cover for each bearing block. Then I am apply the grease gun needle fitting and inject 3-4 squirts of grease. Finally, I need to replace replace the screw and reinstall the dust covers for the actuator.

That's easily said but not so easily done. It's hard to reach the small central screw on the outside each of the dust cover for each bearing block on the X and Y axis. It easy to reach the top two central screws on the Z axis but impossible to reach the bottom two screws of the z axis without taking it apart. I asked CNCRouterParts if they would prepare an instructional video and received no response.

Out of frustration, I started the following thread because all CNCRouterParts "Pro" machines have the same Z axis: https://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-r...chtop-pro.html

Apparently good advice from the thread stated that I should install grease fittings. I bought some (they're not expensive) but haven't gotten around to installing them yet. Don't understand why the machines don't come with these grease fittings and don't understand why CNCRouterParts does not have clear instructions about this important part of keeping machines running!

Downloads
    Uploads

I installed a needle nozzle and an elbow on my grease gun. This allowed me to access the grease ports from the side. Worked very well for me. I think this is easier than trying to install grease fittings.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Benchtop Pro 2x3-greasegun-needle-fitting-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    I installed a needle nozzle and an elbow on my grease gun. This allowed me to access the grease ports from the side. Worked very well for me. I think this is easier than trying to install grease fittings.
    How do you remove the screws from the lower two bearing blocks on the Z axis?

Downloads
    Uploads

I used a metric hex bit, an extension, and a driver. I believe it was a 2.5mm. Something like this, however, I may have used a longer extension.

Benchtop Pro 2x3-hex-bit-extension-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

It's been a long time since I've posted. Just wanted to tell everyone that the machine is running great. CNCRP now Avid has instructions and videos about proper lubing of these machines. So all is well!!!!!!!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Greased the X axis and Y axis again today. Finally got around to installing grease fittings that I purchased some time ago. Task was easier because I used a spring loaded device designed to start small screws. Plan to make a better mount for the dust collection and coolant hoses for the Z axis. Will install the fittings in that axis then. Always amazed at how clean the ball screw and linear rails remain behind the dust covers. Some photos:

Grease fittings:
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-img_7725-jpg

Grease fittings installed:
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-img_7729-jpg

spring loaded device that made installation easier:
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-img_7735-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Benchtop Pro 2x3-img_7735-jpg   Benchtop Pro 2x3-img_7729-jpg   Benchtop Pro 2x3-img_7729-jpg   Benchtop Pro 2x3-img_7725-jpg  

Last edited by DonFrambach; 07-04-2021 at 07:03 PM. Reason: punctuation!

Downloads
    Uploads

Where did you purchase the grease fittings?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast