DIY Eccentric Spacers for less than 40c each

Thread: DIY Eccentric Spacers for less than 40c each

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default DIY Eccentric Spacers for less than 40c each

Hi guys, just thought i would share something I am putting together for a project. I live in Australia and was trying to source 1/4 eccentric spacers, and while they are cheap enough (about $3 each), the postage and packaging was a killer. So I decided to make my own out of m8 nuts (exactly 1/4 inch high) and 10mm solid steel rod. The nuts were 27 cents each and the rod was about $10 for a metre (only need less than 10mm sections, this worked out to about 10 cents per section) at the local hardware

It is important to note that a drill press is necessary for accuracy.

First I drilled out the nut centre to 9.5mm. For me I started with a 8.5mm, then a 9mm and then finished with a 9.5mm. (this was just to protect the wear on my drill bits going through stainless)

I chamfered the end of the rod on a bench grinder. I did this by rotating the rod by hand.

I then placed the chamfered end of the rod into the end of the nut and banged the rod into the end of the nut (remember I haven'ed yet cut the length of rod yet) using a hammer with some force

Once this was in nice and tight, I then trimmed the rod (in this example, it was about 3mm from the nut) You can make it any length you want.

I then marked the centre, and marked a point approx 1.5mm off centre (towards the flat edge of the nut, that way i can mark the edge of the nut for the guide). At that point I drilled a 2.5mm guide hole through the rod, followed by a 5.5mm hole and presto.....

If you would like me to post a step by step photo instructions, I can do if anyone's interested. All up, about 37c each here are the photos......