Newbie spindle and VFD

Thread: spindle and VFD

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default spindle and VFD

Hello. I have been searching for a simple answer and my search skills must need work.

I bought this spindle and VFD
    https://www.automationtechnologiesin...ooled-spindle/

I set it up and it seems to function correctly. It spools up to 24000 rpms just fine.

The VFD only allows 7amp as the max amp draw. Isn't that only 770 watts? I set mine to 5A because that is what I saw online. The vendor told me to set it to 11A, but the VFD won't allow that value.

I haven't cut anything yet because my CNC has a couple of other issues. I figured I would upgrade to a real spindle while the machine was down.

The spindle itself has no amperage rating stamped on it. I have seen other 110v 1.5Kw spindles online with 5A stamped on them. It does not seem right.

I am a hobbyist so there is probably a gap in my knowledge here.

Any help I can get would be appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: spindle and VFD

I'm pretty sure that VFD has a voltage doubler circuit in it, so outputs 220V 3 phase. 7 amps at 220V = about 1500 watts

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for the response. Right now it is set for 5A max. I have one of those killawatt devices and it is measuring just shy of 5 amps draw when the spindle is spooling up. If the VFD is pulling 5 amps at 110V from the wall that is 550 Watts. How can it possibly output 1500 watts to the spindle?

What electrical property am I missing? Like I said, I am a hobbyist. I just want to understand what I am dealing with.

ericks

Sorry...for some reason my post from another topic ended up here

Downloads
    Uploads

What voltage is printed on the spindle?
    Is there a motor voltage setting in the VFD?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah. It says 110V right on the spindle. I set the VFD voltage to 110. I had to adjust some of their other settings because they were wrong. I knew this thing wasn't drawing enough power. I am going to try to return it. I thought I could get by without running 220v in my basement. I guess I was wrong. That VFD says 110V 1500 watt right on it, but it only lets me select up to 7 amp max draw. That is why I posted here.

Thank you for the information. I appreciate your help.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I talked with Automation Technology. They are going to take back the spindle and VFD and refund me. I bought the stuff from them because I bought 2 60 watt lasers from them. One in 2014 and one in 2016. Both lasers work great and those guys were easy to deal with. They have always answered my questions over the last few years I have dealt with them.
    I will box the stuff up and ship it back tomorrow. For the sake of completeness I will post how the refund process worked out.
    I am not sure if I will buy a 220V spindle and VFD or buy another router. The Porter Cable router I used worked fine for a long time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kj0277 View Post
    I talked with Automation Technology. They are going to take back the spindle and VFD and refund me. I bought the stuff from them because I bought 2 60 watt lasers from them. One in 2014 and one in 2016. Both lasers work great and those guys were easy to deal with. They have always answered my questions over the last few years I have dealt with them.
    I will box the stuff up and ship it back tomorrow. For the sake of completeness I will post how the refund process worked out.
    I am not sure if I will buy a 220V spindle and VFD or buy another router. The Porter Cable router I used worked fine for a long time.
    You can get 120v to 220v VFD Drives and then use a 220v spindle but don't go over 1.5Kw for the spindle size, the 120v supply would have to be quite robust this would need a supply of 25A for the VFD Drive input supply

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you again. If I decide to go with a spindle I am going to have a 220v circuit installed.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kj0277 View Post
    Thank you again. If I decide to go with a spindle I am going to have a 220v circuit installed.
    Make sure you do a 4 wire if you do it ( 2 ) Hot wires, Neutral and Ground that way you can have 120V and 240v from the same supply, most good electricians would know to do this, or if you do it yourself which you can do

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I will relay that information to my electrician.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I received my refund today. No problems. I consider this matter closed.