570 oz/in steppers with different amp ratings. What does that tell me?


Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 570 oz/in steppers with different amp ratings. What does that tell me?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    314
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default 570 oz/in steppers with different amp ratings. What does that tell me?

    AT has several 570 oz/in steppers. There are some that are rated at 3.5 amps


    and they have some that are rated at 5 amps
    here

    How can motors with the same torque have different current ratings and what does that tell me?
    Thanks

    Similar Threads:


  2. #2
    Community Moderator ger21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Shelby Township
    Posts
    34519
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: 570 oz/in steppers with different amp ratings. What does that tell me?

    Look at the inductance, and also the torque curves.

    The higher current motors will have much lower inductance,which means they have more torque at higher rpm, for a given voltage.

    Gerry

    UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

    Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

    JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    819
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: 570 oz/in steppers with different amp ratings. What does that tell me?

    Quote Originally Posted by tkms002 View Post
    AT has several 570 oz/in steppers. There are some that are rated at 3.5 amps


    and they have some that are rated at 5 amps
    here

    How can motors with the same torque have different current ratings and what does that tell me?
    Thanks

    Pls check specification here. They are different body size and specification:


    https://www.automationtechnologiesin...lat-381-oz-in/

    https://www.automationtechnologiesin...lat-570-oz-in/



  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    314
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: 570 oz/in steppers with different amp ratings. What does that tell me?

    Quote Originally Posted by automationtechinc View Post
    Pls check specification here. They are different body size and specification:


    https://www.automationtechnologiesin...lat-381-oz-in/

    https://www.automationtechnologiesin...lat-570-oz-in/
    you have 570 in/oz steppers rated at 5 amps and 570 in/oz steppers rated at 3.5 amps.
    I see the 3.5 amp steppers have a much higher inductance but I am not an electronics guy so I really don't know what that means in practical usage.



  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    677
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: 570 oz/in steppers with different amp ratings. What does that tell me?

    Higher inductance in a stepper means the torque falls off faster at high RPM's (with the same voltage.) So basically, with the same voltage the 5A stepper will be able to run faster than the 3.5A one.



  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    314
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: 570 oz/in steppers with different amp ratings. What does that tell me?

    Quote Originally Posted by skrubol View Post
    Higher inductance in a stepper means the torque falls off faster at high RPM's (with the same voltage.) So basically, with the same voltage the 5A stepper will be able to run faster than the 3.5A one.
    So all other things being equal lower inductance is always better?



  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    677
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: 570 oz/in steppers with different amp ratings. What does that tell me?

    Quote Originally Posted by tkms002 View Post
    So all other things being equal lower inductance is always better?
    That might be oversimplifying, (quality isn't just determined by power,) but I think you could say will all else equal, lower inductance will mean more torque at higher RPM's..



Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

570 oz/in steppers with different amp ratings.  What does that tell me?

570 oz/in steppers with different amp ratings.  What does that tell me?

570 oz/in steppers with different amp ratings.  What does that tell me?