NEED HELP Please!

Thread: NEED HELP Please!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default NEED HELP Please!

Hello,

I am trying to convert a .CNC file to Fusion so that I can take manipulate and delete parts in that file currently, but fusion will not allow me to open up the file it says this file type cannot be opened.

I started a new job and they only have .cnc files in the router computer and I am trying to bring one of each of the parts that they cut from each file into one large file so that I can then export it to Enroute so that I can then pick and choose each part that I need to nest up for that specific days job rather than cutting the amount of parts that the creator of the programs before me put into the system. My last company I worked for had it done already but they were using solidworks to design all of their parts. is it possible to do this without having to re design all of the parts?

Thank you

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: NEED HELP Please!

Not sure what a .CNC file is. Can you provide a sample? Since they are in the router, I'm guessing they might be G code files?

You may need to convert it to a .DXF or something to get it to import into Fusion.

Does your company have the original CAD files that were used to create the .CNC files? This would be the easiest way to bring them into Fusion.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah I'm guessing they are the g code files that were exported from fusion to enroute. I don't know if they have the files still I'm having them look into it and see if they can find it somewhere on a backup. I believe I probably do have to convert them to dxf. what would be the easiest way of doing that? also when I do that am I able to see the actual parts that were designed?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Not sure what a .CNC file is. Can you provide a sample? Since they are in the router, I'm guessing they might be G code files?

You may need to convert it to a .DXF or something to get it to import into Fusion.

Does your company have the original CAD files that were used to create the .CNC files? This would be the easiest way to bring them into Fusion.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't know if this will work or not, no experience with it. G-Code to DXF with G-Code Ripper | Scorch Works Blog

I have used CamBam that can import G-code and click ''Toolpath to Geometry'' then ''Export to DXF'' CamBam CNC Software

I'm sure that there are other G-code to .DXF file converters out there.

The problem is that the G-code is the tool path, not the part. So in order to create the part, you would have to subtract the tool radius from the DXF by using the offset tool. Not too hard to do on a simple part, but would get crazy for a complex part. It might be easier just to create new CAD models from the parts.

Hopefully you can find the original CAD files in the archives. If they were created in Fusion, then they should be floating around in the cloud somewhere, you would just need to find the original account in which they were created. I have Fusion files going back years that are still on the cloud. I guess it would be really good practice to save .f3d or .DXF files locally also.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA