Newbie HS Teacher just got 3 axis MillPWR G2--Fusion360

Thread: HS Teacher just got 3 axis MillPWR G2--Fusion360

Downloads
    Uploads

Default HS Teacher just got 3 axis MillPWR G2--Fusion360

I'm a HS shop teacher, I have limited CNC experience, but not foreign to machining. We just took delivery of a 3 axis CNC knee mill with the Acu-RIte MillPWR G2 controller. We are trying to use Fusion360 to program motion, but I'm struggling with tool height and offsets. This might not be the correct area to post this thread, but since my work is starting in fusion, I thought maybe the problem i'm having is starting there too....

I set up tool heights in the controller, built a tool table, then essentially copied the tool table into fusion. drew up a simple part (4x4x.5 plate with a facing and a simple square pocket) preview and heights in the fusion simulator went flawlessly. post process, load the g code into the millPWR console, set a false zero an inch above the part, ran a graphic only test run, where the face mill dives into the part, rapids over to the starting position, raises the tool, then plunges, ramps, and completes the facing operation at the "correct" height.

then i did a dry run at the same Z zero, with no tool. The physical motion program matched what the graphic only test showed....looked through the code, there is nothing that commands Z to any height below zero until after the table rapids over to the plunge position for the facing op. the same is true for the pocket with a tool change.

I then found that the MillPWR G2 doesn't accept tool height from the g code, only draws that info from its own tool table. Fusion needs a tool height. I'm now lost

thank you for any help and experience you can offer

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: HS Teacher just got 3 axis MillPWR G2--Fusion360

Go back to your setup in Fusion. Ensure your WCS is correct. And the heights tab in your operations is properly set. The Autodesk Fusion 360 forum is excellent for referance lots of well experienced people there.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Based on your Fusion simulation run, I would say your heights are correct in the G code. Under most conditions I use +0.600 as my Clearance Height in Fusion, and set my quill ''home'' position at +0.625. The tool (Z) 0 is set to the part (or stock) top in the CNC software as the WCS Z0 in Fusion. If your machine uses a home (G28) position then that could be set incorrectly. It is possible that your control uses both a MCS (G53) and a WCS (G54) and they need to be set.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Based on your Fusion simulation run, I would say your heights are correct in the G code. Under most conditions I use +0.600 as my Clearance Height in Fusion, and set my quill ''home'' position at +0.625. The tool (Z) 0 is set to the part (or stock) top in the CNC software as the WCS Z0 in Fusion. If your machine uses a home (G28) position then that could be set incorrectly. It is possible that your control uses both a MCS (G53) and a WCS (G54) and they need to be set.
    I do know that millpwr does not have a home position. I was trying to find where to set that to make tool changes easier. Even if I could add a tool change position into the code in fusion, but I’ve found the only way to get the machine to get it to work is to set absolute zero on all 3 axes at the wcs vocation on the stock. This changes where my max quill height is, so regardless, I have to change to dro screen, move table, change tool, go back to program screen, continue program…

I suppose my main problem is this: I was able to get through the first tool in the program, but when I switch tools, the heights weren’t true to drawing. The slots on this widget were supposed to be .150 deep, but they’re closer to .06

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HS Teacher just got 3 axis MillPWR G2--Fusion360-14346f85-095e-4122-8f60-df1dbf4594fd-jpg   HS Teacher just got 3 axis MillPWR G2--Fusion360-06304191-29e4-4c69-977a-cc7477fbfa95-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by teachagmech View Post
    I do know that millpwr does not have a home position.
    Can you use a G53 to set a ''parking'' position?

I suppose my main problem is this: I was able to get through the first tool in the program, but when I switch tools, the heights weren’t true to drawing. The slots on this widget were supposed to be .150 deep, but they’re closer to .06
    I set all of the tool heights the same in CAM and in the control, then adjust the knee for the height offset as I change tools.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Can you use a G53 to set a ''parking'' position?

I set all of the tool heights the same in CAM and in the control, then adjust the knee for the height offset as I change tools.
    The book says that everything from G43-G59 will be ignored.

Do you know if I’m having trouble with ABS/INC settings?

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm using a different controller than you are so my setup is a bit different. Every programmer has a different idea about how the world should work. I can offer specific advice about Fusion because that is what I use for my CAD/CAM software. MillPWR not so much, I may need to read the manual for that.

I would think that ABS/INC would only affect arc moves. I think Fusion only generates INC moves for arcs, I'm not sure there is even a setting for that, maybe in the post setup. INC would be more common.

Looking at the MillPWR G2 post setup, I don't see anything that would allow changing INC to ABS. Also under ''Safe Retracts and Homing'' the only option available is Safe Retract>Clearance Height, which would be set in with the Heights setup in the CAM edit.

Is there anything in the MillPWR setup that can tell the machine to move to a ''Parking Position'' after the M2 is issued at the end of the G code file?

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA