HSMworks Adding a second Op?

Thread: HSMworks Adding a second Op?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default HSMworks Adding a second Op?

Setting up a two-vise job, real simple part to learn more programming and HSMworks quirks.

The part is a 5" milling vise soft jaw, I ran the first bit today and while I goofed and had the chamfer mill running on the wrong side of the profile (cut a V-groove around the top of the part instead of chamfering) it did fine on the pocket mill and boring for the fasteners, and it didn't crash the vise or fling the workpiece off into orbit.

Now, I need to setup the part for Op 2 in vise 2, where I face the back of the part off. That's all that's left, just face off the back and then debur.

What's the process needed here? Re-model the part+stock remaining and import as a second job, then combine the two programs? Seems like there should be a more straightforward method.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: HSMworks Adding a second Op?

All you have to do is make a second setup. Move the part into an orientation (In CAD) that makes sense. Then select new setup. This will be setup 2. Proceed normally with coordinate setup and tool path setup.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by switch2472 View Post
    Setting up a two-vise job, real simple part to learn more programming and HSMworks quirks.

The part is a 5" milling vise soft jaw, I ran the first bit today and while I goofed and had the chamfer mill running on the wrong side of the profile (cut a V-groove around the top of the part instead of chamfering) it did fine on the pocket mill and boring for the fasteners, and it didn't crash the vise or fling the workpiece off into orbit.

Now, I need to setup the part for Op 2 in vise 2, where I face the back of the part off. That's all that's left, just face off the back and then debur.

What's the process needed here? Re-model the part+stock remaining and import as a second job, then combine the two programs? Seems like there should be a more straightforward method.
    I have had many problems with the "fillet" tool path. I finally gave up and drive on the center of a tool and create a wireframe contour to drive the cutter.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    All you have to do is make a second setup. Move the part into an orientation (In CAD) that makes sense. Then select new setup. This will be setup 2. Proceed normally with coordinate setup and tool path setup.
    I can create a second "Job" but no "setup".

Assuming the "Job" is the same, it just seems like autodesk has gone to extremes to make this more difficult than it has to be. Even if I select "continue machining from last job" it won't account for any material I've already cut away, won't show me the stock remaining, and fights tooth and nail every time I try to pick any kind of reasonable coordinate zero location.

Surely there's something I'm missing. (And I am finding out more every day that Fusion 360 Cam and HSMworks are not even close to the same...)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by switch2472 View Post
    I can create a second "Job" but no "setup".

Assuming the "Job" is the same, it just seems like autodesk has gone to extremes to make this more difficult than it has to be. Even if I select "continue machining from last job" it won't account for any material I've already cut away, won't show me the stock remaining, and fights tooth and nail every time I try to pick any kind of reasonable coordinate zero location.

Surely there's something I'm missing. (And I am finding out more every day that Fusion 360 Cam and HSMworks are not even close to the same...)
    You can make as many setups as you want. A rectangular block of material for example has 6 sides. If you had features to machine on each side (like holes for an example) you would need to do 6 setups. To make a new setup when in the Manufacture mode you click on the setup tab. Then select new setup. A new setup is used when you reposition the material to get at a different side.

Picking a proper coordinate zero is a little confusing at first. I use the select X and Z axis mostly. Then I pick my X Y Z zero location. If you want to see a video that is easy to follow on how this works go on Youtube and look for NYC CNC. John Saunders makes some good videos on how things like this works. He is self taught so makes a lot of the same mistakes I do.

If you want Fusion 360 to account for previous material removed you need to look at "rest machining". It's a setting in the tool paths. I don't know if it applies to material removed by previous setups though. NYC CNC mentions it a lot in his videos.

Might be good if you could upload a screen shot of what you want to do. I am no expert in fusion 360 but maybe someone more knowledgeable can provide some input.

Downloads
    Uploads

If I understand it right you want 2 operations in one program. Open 1st op setup/job and set WCS number to "1" (don't keep it 0 i.e. G54, might get CAM confused). Then create another job for 2nd op, set WCS to "2". Then select both jobs, click post process, check "reorder to minimize tool changes" and generate it. This way you will get each tool machine 1st op with G55, then machine the 2nd with G56, change tool, repeat. Works for me, hope this is what ur looking for.