Newbie Variable Depth cut in HSMworks


Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Variable Depth cut in HSMworks

  1. #1
    Activation process sean69_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    47
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Variable Depth cut in HSMworks

    Hello

    I am just starting out using HSMworks within Solidworks and have a machining problem as per the attached screen shot , the part has an angled bottom and i only want to machine the outside profile .
    The part is 20mm thick and needs to have the outer profile that is maximum 18mm.and help in a jig .

    i want the cutter to to offset the bottom of the part by 1mm all the way around , as the longest cutter i can get is 45mm

    If i try 2d contour as per the screenshot 1 it cuts the full depth all around

    if i use the same cutter path using Contour in the 3D menu it try's to cut a weird path around the top of the part screenshot 2

    Im sure i am missing something ??

    Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Variable Depth cut in HSMworks-2d-contour-jpg   Variable Depth cut in HSMworks-3d-contour-jpg  


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    817
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Variable Depth cut in HSMworks

    Quote Originally Posted by sean69_uk View Post
    Hello

    I am just starting out using HSMworks within Solidworks and have a machining problem as per the attached screen shot , the part has an angled bottom and i only want to machine the outside profile .
    The part is 20mm thick and needs to have the outer profile that is maximum 18mm.and help in a jig .

    i want the cutter to to offset the bottom of the part by 1mm all the way around , as the longest cutter i can get is 45mm

    If i try 2d contour as per the screenshot 1 it cuts the full depth all around

    if i use the same cutter path using Contour in the 3D menu it try's to cut a weird path around the top of the part screenshot 2

    Im sure i am missing something ??




    3D will always choose every hole or contour if that is within the set depth of the selected area. Unless either the tool don't fit or the selected area is shallower.



  3. #3
    Activation process sean69_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    47
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Variable Depth cut in HSMworks

    Thank you for the video , didn't really help much I'm afraid .

    i am trying to machine the outside not the top face

    sean



  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    817
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Variable Depth cut in HSMworks

    Quote Originally Posted by sean69_uk View Post
    Thank you for the video , didn't really help much I'm afraid .

    i am trying to machine the outside not the top face

    sean
    The setting of all the heights doesn't just correspond to a face cut. It applies to ALL types of cut.
    You must be setting it up as 'bottom of stock' in the box or something and not putting any values in.

    The dark blue lower line position denotes the depth of the cut.
    Even when you contour around the outside of a part, the cutter should only go as deep as the seetting of the blue line.

    I work in mm so for instance:
    For a 2D contour I usually put in:
    Top height (light blue) as 'stock top' in the box with a value of +1.
    Cutting then starts the cutting process at +1 above the stock and I helix in. This avoids the cutter hitting any imperfections in the material at the start.

    Bottom height (dark blue) The limit of depth my cutter will go.
    If say I have a 25mm thick piece in and I want to do a contour 2d around the outside ciut to only 20mm deep.
    I would set the box as 'stock top' and a value of -20 (negative 20).
    The blue line will now stop short of the stock bottom and the cutter will not pass this depth.

    Then on the next tab I would do my cut around the outside of the part. Then run 2 finishing passes.

    Now I have a nice smooth cut all the way around the outside of my part at 20mm depth.



  5. #5
    Activation process sean69_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    47
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Variable Depth cut in HSMworks

    Hi

    Thank you

    that is how i did it, i managed to do it in 2 cuts top part first , down the taper 35mm depth and then the bottom half all the way down to the model bottom , leaving the tapered part but did have to use higher retract height

    i had hoped that you could select offset from contour say -0.5 mm and it would follow the contour rather than taking the mean height as your bottom depth

    regards

    Sean



  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    817
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Variable Depth cut in HSMworks

    Quote Originally Posted by sean69_uk View Post
    Hi

    Thank you
    that is how i did it, i managed to do it in 2 cuts top part first , down the taper 35mm depth and then the bottom half all the way down to the model bottom , leaving the tapered part but did have to use higher retract height
    i had hoped that you could select offset from contour say -0.5 mm and it would follow the contour rather than taking the mean height as your bottom depth
    regards

    Sean
    Watch out for the 'stock to leave' setting in the next tab page for roughing.
    If say I put in 0.5mm it will not only leave the 0.5 stock on all the way round the sides but it will also leave it on the bottom.
    So my previous neg20mm depth will actually be neg19.5.

    I don't like leaving any on the bottom though because it can cause issues when it sometimes retracts and then plunges for a finish cut.
    If I wanted to cut to 20 depth with a rough + finish I would set rough to neg20.5 with stock to leave at 0.5 (this then only cuts to 20 depth). Now there is nothing for the cutter to hit when it plunges for a finish at neg20 to remove the 0.5mm from the sides.

    If you put in a neg value of say -0.5mm stock to leave it will cut inside the 'model' boundary and go deeper by 0.5 all round.


    I think this is the kind of thing you are suggesting yes?.

    Last edited by dazp1976; 07-23-2021 at 04:01 AM.


  7. #7
    Member The Engine Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1837
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Variable Depth cut in HSMworks

    Quote Originally Posted by sean69_uk View Post
    Hi


    i had hoped that you could select offset from contour say -0.5 mm and it would follow the contour rather than taking the mean height as your bottom depth

    regards

    Sean
    Are you looking for something like in the images below, first image is with bottom edge selected as the contour, second image is with an offset of +3mm applied and the third image is how it would be cut.
    If I was doing that cut then I would cut away the stock above the shape first so that using this strategy does not need a really long tool, as long as it is a little longer than the 20mm height of the shape.
    Then the answer would be yes you can assuming that you have the "Trace" 2D Toolpath available in your toolbox

    Regards
    Rob

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Variable Depth cut in HSMworks-trace-angled-shape-1-jpg   Variable Depth cut in HSMworks-trace-angled-shape-2-jpg   Variable Depth cut in HSMworks-trace-angled-shape-3-jpg  


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

Variable Depth cut in HSMworks

Variable Depth cut in HSMworks

Variable Depth cut in HSMworks