Fusion 360 Multiple Depth Machining of Stone and Ceramics

Thread: Fusion 360 Multiple Depth Machining of Stone and Ceramics

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fusion 360 Multiple Depth Machining of Stone and Ceramics

Hi,
    I have been using Fusion 360 for sometime now to do multiple jobs. So far the materials have been fairly soft so deep cuts have not been a problem.
    I have been doing Lithphanes in acrylic, with great success and decided to try cutting them into china and other translucent clay fired products. These are obviously very hard and plunging a cutter, even a PCD one, into this, is going to be shattering in every sense of the word.
    Does anybody know how I can configure a cutting path in Fusion 360 that will allow me to cut multiple depths on a 3D
    cut? I know how to set up contour depths but I want to be able to use something like "Parallel 3D" only in gradual step downs.
    Cheers.
    Bill.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fusion 360 Multiple Depth Machining of Stone and Ceramics

Probably the easiest way is to just 'lie' to your machine for the Z zero height. If you're setting Z on the top of the piece, set it then raise Z 0.010" or whatever amount you want and set zero there. After that cut lower it 0.005" and then to the piece for zero. Make sense?

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

I can't remember if it's in Linking or Passes, but you can set multiple step downs.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Use the "AXIAL OFFSET PASSES" check box.

Downloads
    Uploads

You have a tab at the top of the cut operation (adaptive, pocket etc) labeled "passes". Within is the ability to set maximum roughing stepdown, finish stepdown etc. These stepdown entry setting are the maxium depth of cut the cutter will cut each pass. You should also set "step over" which is the maxium if will side cut each pass. So, be sure and set your tool specific settings including general feedrate and of course lead-in, lead-out, ramp and plunge feedrates, step over etc. in each tools specific settings.

If you are talking about multiple cutting operations on the same piece you should also rough cut with the desired bit (usually a larger flat end cutter) to "hog" away most of the material and select to "leave material" to leave a given amount of material. Then set subsequent operations to start from end of previous operation and do one or more finishing operations using a smaller round nose bit.

Start with very small step down and step over settings... I've had luck with slate and other stones but some hard ceramics are similar to trying to cut or etch glass. A diamond bit or one made specifically for ceramic is needed and trial and error with speeds and feeds is important.

Last edited by coherent; 08-31-2020 at 04:59 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Everybody that has replied. Much appreciated and I will try it all.
    Cheers.
    Bill.