Need help with this design in Fusion

Thread: Need help with this design in Fusion

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need help with this design in Fusion

Hi All,

The jpg is a test sample I drew up in Fusion 360, with the idea of creating a non slip surface for a step made of Al.

The problem is the only method I could think of to do this was creating a triangular extrude cut on two different faces of the block, and pattern that. But it was quite tedious to do, especially the second face having to select all the small triangular faces left by the first extrude. This block is only a couple of inches and had 40 + faces to select, my final design would be a 20" X 4" ellipse, so a heck of a lot of faces! And I am not even certain I could use this method with an ellipse.

I just think there has to be a better way to approach this, so if anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

This is the link f3d file.
    https://a360.co/39lDMlk

Thanks

Terry

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help with this design in Fusion-texture2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need help with this design in Fusion

Terry

Well, you have the right direction but just missed out on a couple of operations

1) Do the triangle from the Front, either at one end or in the middle, I used the middle just for example, Extrude it and then pattern it out for as many as is needed to cover the Block (Elipse already created) at 0.42in spacing.
    2) Before doing the "Combine Cut" copy and paste one of your triangular blocks 90 degrees and use the "Press/Pull" to make it long enough to cover the other direction and pattern it to cover the block
    3) now all you need to do is use the "Combine Cut" facility, select the main block and then all the triangular ones and you will have your shape

It doesn`t look very pretty doing it that way on an Elipse as you get varying heights along the edges of the Elipse due to the arced shape, you could do some extra work and make the triangular blocks fit in the shape, would look much better IMHO

Anyway, there are lots of ways to get it looking good cosmetically by for example using a scaled down slightly Elipse to cut all the V blocks to the Elipse shape but just inside, many options, all depends on how much work you want to put into it and just
    doing it in lines on an Elipse shaped block then it won`t look so good, you could always make it a little smaller and machine an Elipse for it to fit into
    Images below and 2 sample files attached just for fun
    Regards
    Rob

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help with this design in Fusion-20-x-4-elipse-3-jpg   Need help with this design in Fusion-20-x-4-elipse-2-jpg   Need help with this design in Fusion-20-x-4-elipse-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by The Engine Guy; 07-24-2020 at 07:25 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Rob,

Thanks very much for the reply and the obvious amount of work you put into helping me out, I really appreciate it. I think I understand how you did it and am going to work on replicating your example.

I especially like your first example with the lip around the edge of the ellipse, that's almost the exact look I'm going for. The only addition I would make is a small fillet around the top onside edge. If it's not too much to ask, do you have an f3d file for that version? Or, at least an explanation of how you got the pyramids inside the lip so nicely.

Thanks again for you time and efforts.

Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

MFchief:
    There are zip files attached. Open them up and see.

Edit/ Doh ! 3 pictures and 2 zips. Sorry for the interruption.

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Downloads
    Uploads

Terry

No problem, I was having problems trying to upload all the files last time and then forgot to upload the third file, apologies

File attached this time, just run the Timeline/History in Design mode and it will hopefully give you some ideas going forward, Oh, yes, I have put a small 0.01 chamfer on the inside edge
    Regards
    Rob

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Ron, thank you again for your help, it's been much more than I could hope for. The last file is basically perfect the way you drew it, I could just go and cut it. But I am going to try to re-create it following your time line, and hopefully improve my CAM skills a bit.

Thanks again

Terry

P.S.

I tried to reply once before, but it seems to have disappeared in cyberspace?? If you end up seeing two replies, I apologize.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Terry
    Glad you are getting some help from my ramblings and scribblings

Yes, I always try to start off thinking about how I would machine something before I ever draw a line in Design Mode, I find it works best for me that way instead of creating a Model and then trying to come up with a machining strategy, much easier in my mind
    If you need any more ramblings feel free, I will always give it a go

Regards
    Rob