Fusion 360 how to put multiple objects onto the same Z plane?

Thread: Fusion 360 how to put multiple objects onto the same Z plane?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fusion 360 how to put multiple objects onto the same Z plane?

I have 13 objects that have different Z axis heights in my fusion model now for manufacture I want to put all 13 on the same Z axis plane.

They are inlays I want to cut out on a single piece of wood, I hope I used the right terminology there.

Fusion 360 how to put multiple objects onto the same Z plane?-side-inlay-jpg
    Also I understand I need to round the corners off on both my inlay and my recesses the inlays sit in to match the tool is there any guides on how to do this correctly or is it trial and error?

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fusion 360 how to put multiple objects onto the same Z plane?

I'm not sure if there would be an easy way to go about doing that or not? you could save each object as a component and save them individually then start a new design sketching a rectangle to represent your sheet then copy your components in one at a time and move them during the process since that is automatic at first when you first insert a component. when you move them just move your tops of your objects to where you want them on the sheet individually. but that's going to take some work to sort out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tutu View Post
    I have 13 objects that have different Z axis heights in my fusion model now for manufacture I want to put all 13 on the same Z axis plane.

They are inlays I want to cut out on a single piece of wood, I hope I used the right terminology there.

Also I understand I need to round the corners off on both my inlay and my recesses the inlays sit in to match the tool is there any guides on how to do this correctly or is it trial and error?

Thanks
    Are you saying that your objects are different thicknesses?
    Did you create them by extruding upwards in the "Design" mode and you now have a lot of different Top heights?

When you create the objects either from Primitive solids or from Sketches you will automatically be starting from a selected Plane and you should always extrude the height in a negative direction (Downwards), that way all the tops of the objects will be at the same height and you will just be cutting different depths in your stock sheet to suit the different thickness of each object. Like the image below.

Fusion 360 how to put multiple objects onto the same Z plane?-different-heights-jpg
    When you ask for assistance it is always best to attach the Fusion file to your Post, in Fusion go to "File > Export and save out as an f3d format file to a location on your PC and then put it in a Zip folder and using the "Advanced" option on your reply upload the Zip file, unless it is a "proprietry" customer design that you don`t want anyone to see in which case you can email it to someone on here for their assistance.
    Sample Fusion file attached, in the Design mode you can follow the Timeline and see how I did all the shapes and depths and in Manufacture you can check the Setup and the Strategy used to do all the shapes in a single operation with all the different depths.
    Fusion 360 how to put multiple objects onto the same Z plane?-different-heights-v0-zip
    If the answer in Blue is all you need then happy cutting
    Regards
    Rob

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fusion 360 how to put multiple objects onto the same Z plane?-different-heights-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by The Engine Guy; 03-03-2020 at 06:49 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

check out this vid

Downloads
    Uploads

Mine is a different program but I create a flat sheet. Then I put all my parts on the one sheet with enough distance between them for the cutters
    I then create the programs individually for each part.
    Then create the gcode with all of these programs in. End up with thousands of lines.
    They all have different Z heights and so I use stock that's deeper than my deepest part. When it comes to cutting round them all I do it as a contour (basically ends up like a slot all the way round them).
    Flip it all over, use a grinder to split them all off and give each one a bottom skim with my face mill to the overall heights I want each to be.

Or something like that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tutu View Post

Thanks

Update for you, I looked at this again and realised that I had misunderstood what you wanted, so here is a different method to get your different height parts.

1) Use stock that is the same height as your thickest part if possible, if not plane/face to correct thickness
    2) In Fusion 360 Design create your model with all your parts extruded down to the height you want measured from the BOTTOM of your model, not the top as is usual. See images below.
    3) In Fusion 360 Manufacture use 2D Adaptive to machine down to the tops of all your parts, set the "Stock to Leave" to a small - (Minus) value so the cutter overlaps the edge a little
    4) In Fusion 360 Manufacture use 2D Contour to machine around all your shapes and set "Tabs" so you can easily knock out your shapes after they have been cut.

In the Model you will see that the Elipse is shown as cut all the way through, this is because I made it the same height as the stock (4mm) so there was no bottom edge to select for the Tabs, the Circle is a 1mm thick part so the depth to cut is 3mm
    so there is a 1mm thick part left after clearing the stock out.
    The Rectangle is a 2mm thick part so depth cut is 2mm leaving a 2mm thick part.
    The Hexagon is a 3mm thick part so depth of cut is 1mm leaving a 3mm thick part
    In Manufacture the different depth of cut are done using 2D Adaptive Clearing
    Then the shapes are cut using 2D contour and Tabs.

Hope this helps you, sounds complicated but it is pretty easy really.

Regarding the fitting of the parts to whatever cutouts you do will need you to do a small test part and pocket and then you will be able to see how they are fitting, you will then be able to use the "Stock to Leave" option setting to set either very small + (Plus) or - (Minus) amounts to get the fit you want, how much you will need to offset this way will depend a lot on the material used and the accuracy of your CNC Machine,
    I have attached an updated version of the example for you

Regards
    Rob

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fusion 360 how to put multiple objects onto the same Z plane?-different-heights-model-jpg   Fusion 360 how to put multiple objects onto the same Z plane?-different-heights-sim-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by The Engine Guy; 04-25-2020 at 05:30 AM.