Need Help! Fusion slotting

Thread: Fusion slotting

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fusion slotting

How do I remove the ramping in and out and just do a clear stepdown.?? I made my toolpath 6x as long as my hard coded program. I'm very new to fusion.

I am the only one with a machining background. So I hard code everything the owner bought me a Haas and said buy what ever you need. Almost everything is basic drilling and milling paths so I just hardcode it. I've made fixtures and all sorts of stuff so far with no cam software. But I would like to get into more advanced fixturing and such.

I just need to slap to 13/16 slots in .450 material 1.5 inches in and .075 step down. Full WOC. 13/16 endmill. Fusion took a 1:12 second toolpath and turned It into 6 minutes.

I currently work in a glass manufacturer where we do all aluminum extrusions.

I am able to draw in Inventor and AutoCAD.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fusion slotting

I think you can uncheck ramping in the operation setup. On my Haas, I would use a smaller end mill, maybe 1/2 or 5/8 inch and do a adaptive clearing pass at full depth, 6000 RPM, 120 IPM, full DOC, about 0.035 step over, aluminum cutting carbide endmill.

Then a final profile clean up of about 0.005. 6000 RPM, 80 IPM, full DOC

To learn Fusion 360, I would recommend https://academy.titansofcnc.com/ a free online course that takes you from 0 to machining parts in a couple of days. Uses Fusion 360 and Haas machines.

Last edited by Jim Dawson; 09-28-2019 at 11:27 PM.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not a fan of plunging straight in.
    In my program it's using the 'multiple depths' setting that slows it down a lot.
    I use 'ramping' but I increase the angle setting and that makes it quicker, still less aggressive than a straight stepdown.

Downloads
    Uploads

Don't plunge straight in, instead, change the ramp type to helix (IIRC it's the default for adaptive paths anyway) and it will ramp into the guts of the cut in a spiral, then work its way out. You can adjust the thickness of each pass. Using the full depth means even wear on the cutter, faster cutting and a cleaner finish.

Downloads
    Uploads

Surface finish isn't important where I work guys. Basically it's full send all the time because these are small hidden parts for high rise window assemblies.

I clear the part every step down and take
    .075 passes
    at 2250 rpm
    29 ipm
    Hs Cobalt 4 flute .8125 flat

Sounds buttery smooth. Rapid to the other side and start chewing. I was just wondering if fusion could speed this up any more a 4 part cycle is a little over 2 minutes.

I was just trying to eliminate the ramp and have the cutter step of the side of the part half the radius of the tool + .100

Do you think a 1/2 cutter or even a 3/8 cutter could keep up in an adaptive clear with a full WOC 13/16?

The owner is fine with supper agressive cuts and drill cycles. We pay like 2-5 dollars for are TiCn drills some of which I've hit through holes in up to 1/2 material with no peck at almost 5k holes. The 7/16 I've had in there almost 4 months.

and tolerances are basically non existent.

The only time you change a tool is when it's completely shot.

Basically I need fusion to machine more agressive than me but not snap tools off or chip weld them.

I'm looking for a better option at this point the owner has no clue what I do and openly says what your saying is all Greek to me.

Downloads
    Uploads

You're only going 0.450 deep, so do it in 1 pass. But use a 3 flute aluminum cutting carbide rougher end mill, and pour on the coolant. I would use a 1/2 or 5/8 end mill and just do 1 profile pass since the tolerance is not important. Max out the spindle speed which I assume is 6000 on your machine. Start at about 120 IPM, and then bump it up until the spindle load is in the 95% range.

Adaptive clearing is a little slower but easier on the tool, but you can bump up the feed to compensate. We would normally run your parts with a 5/8 rougher.

Here is a good video illustrating adaptive clearing and feeds & speeds.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd prob go:
    1. Ramp unchecked,
    2. Multiple depths set the same height as your full cut depth,
    3. Plunge outside stock.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you have lots of these to make, why not make some sort of palletized tooling that holds 20-30 parts, and you can be loading one pallet while the other one is being run?

Most efficient production does not always mean taking the last few seconds out of a toolpath.

PM

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by precisionmetal View Post
    If you have lots of these to make, why not make some sort of palletized tooling that holds 20-30 parts, and you can be loading one pallet while the other one is being run?

Most efficient production does not always mean taking the last few seconds out of a toolpath.

PM
    I was thinking about just taking machine ground blocks and placing them in-between parts. In a Kurt 9" vise extending them across 2 vises. Extending the extrusion length from 6" to to 24" and loading it with around 3 stock lengths walking away from it for 20mn. I would have to pre drill the slots tho or run it with through spindle.

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe pre-drill the blanks on another machine? Quick fixture on a drill press or Bridgeport?

PM

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe this will help a little, if you are just doing one at a time for now then probably the easiest strategy to use would be the "Trace" as it will just put the centre of the tool on a line you draw with no offsets, have a look at the images below and let us know if it is close to what you want to do, this plunges off the stock so no loss of time ramping or helixing
    I didn`t know the exact sizes of your extrusion so what it modeled is a "best guess" and just for demonstration purposes
    I have also attached the Fusion f3d file in a Zip file for you, just open it and run it in your Fusion, I have no idea of what feeds and speeds you like to run for the extrusions so I just set a spindle speed of 5000rpm and a feed rate of 20in/min and that came out at 57 seconds for the job on the Fusion simulation but that is notoriously inaccurate
    Anyway, if it is of any help to you figuring out how to "get er done" then enjoy
    Fusion slotting-13-16-slot-model-jpgFusion slotting-13-16-slot-jpg13-16 SLOT v0.zip

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fusion slotting-13-16-slot-model-jpg   Fusion slotting-13-16-slot-jpg