F360 - spiral toolpath on 4th axis? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: F360 - spiral toolpath on 4th axis?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: F360 - spiral toolpath on 4th axis?

Quote Originally Posted by FastFarmer View Post
    ....which you can also do in Fusion 360.
    No Thank You Very Much! Can't do hybrid CAD, or whatever its called backend-wise. Never had training for that lol
    Need standard CAD nurbs/splines to work out surfaces/edges, prefer control over the points where the stuff sews together. Machinable, at least ;-)
    Call me old-school if you want, don't care...

Thanks for the heads up, didn't know. Saved me quite a few hours in fact

ps: a CAD that really caught my attention recently is Freecad. Picked up on this bad boy as a python learning platform during my free-time and I just can't get enough of it. Bet it could cut dharmic's part even with 8axis 'simultaneously' with little prog effort...

Last edited by Mecanix; 09-14-2019 at 09:57 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thought I'd add my voice to the mix in the event that Autodesk is listening. Attached is a chair part I'd like to mill on a 4th axis. I believe the dowel hole and the saddle joint on opposite ends could be easily done via indexing. But the real challenge is the second operation mounting the part between centers and final milling the surface in one pass. And much like 5 axis continuous , tilting the ball end bit at something other than surface normal to optimize cutting geometry for a clean cut. Fusion 360 should be able to address this (hopefully). Maybe not now, but soon? I know there are ways to do this now via indexing, but it would require some additional geometry and there will always be visible transitions, one side to the other. If anyone out there knows of other options for doing this, I'd love to hear them.

Marv

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F360 - spiral toolpath on 4th axis?-chair-part-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MARV View Post
    Fusion 360 should be able to address this (hopefully). Maybe not now, but soon?
    Nope.. it's impossible. In this case I would think fusion will not recognize this shape as a cylinder and there is no face to wrap.
    I will have a play with this in the next day or two, but you need to appreciate fusion is an engineering based tool, not an art based one.

There are a couple of mesh based cams that will wrap this no issue.

Downloads
    Uploads

Seems to me it would be easier to just work out the maths and write your own g-code.
    (Meant quite seriously.)

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

The chair part in question was done in Rhino. Not an engineering program per se, but quite capable as a solids modeler. And I've used Rhino Cam in the past to do similar surfaces. Retired now, I don't have the $$$ for Rhino Cam, so Fusion is probably going to be the tool of choice.

I'm a ways off to a 4th axis for my machine, so I hope that further development in Fusion will come by the time I'm set up.

Marv

Downloads
    Uploads

My suggestion would be if you want to machine these type of objects on a forth axis, then go get yourself a copy of vcarve.

Downloads
    Uploads

For wooden parts like that, get Deskproto, which can do continuous rotary. But I'd still do the joinery as separate toolpaths with indexing.

People have been asking for continuous rotary in Fusion 360 for a long time. I don't see it coming any time soon.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FastFarmer View Post
    Nope.. it's impossible. In this case I would think fusion will not recognize this shape as a cylinder and there is no face to wrap.
    I will have a play with this in the next day or two, but you need to appreciate fusion is an engineering based tool, not an art based one.

There are a couple of mesh based cams that will wrap this no issue.
    I had a play with the multi axis flow tool path last night. As suspected it wont recognize shapes like this as a cylinder, so forget it.
    I guess it's worth also pointing out that this limitation doesn't just apply to 4th axis, but also 5 axis. Again this limitation is due to the model type being a solid. So if you thought wow, I can simultaneous machine my model on 5 axis with fusion 360.. you can forget that too.

Interesting discussion. It shows that although fusion has been smart in cornering the market with its free software, there is still a future for hobby type mesh based modelling cam with companies like Vectric and Deskproto.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123