How to cut both ends of a slot

Thread: How to cut both ends of a slot

Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to cut both ends of a slot

Hey All,

I generally post in the Tormach forum, but I have a question about programming a Fusion360 toolpath for woodworking.

I want to cut essentially a single pass dovetail slot in wood, so I would like to be able to cut part way into the slot from one side, at least as deep as the diameter of the cutter, then go to the other side of the stock and continue the cut all the way through.. The purpose of this would be to cut down on splintering and blowout of the stock. Unfortunately even with some googling, I have not come of with an idea of how to accomplish this, on any suggestions would highly appreciated.

I've attached a jpg of an example of what I would like to do.

Thanks
    Terry

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to cut both ends of a slot-sample-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to cut both ends of a slot

This was a quick stab at it. Just repeat what I did from the other side, and you should be set to go.

Here's the link to the F3D file which I shoved into my Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ydr0w5cdc0...%20v1.f3d?dl=0

PM

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you PM,

I was able to accomplish what I needed by coping your example with the trace toolpath, then duplicating that with a new trace from the other side of the stock. It works fine, just some cut and past.

I really appreciate your help and the time you spent on my question!

Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

Great! Glad it worked for you!

What are you making?

PM

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks again,

Oddly, there is no specific project for the dovetails at the moment. I have been thinking about putting an auxiliary horizontal spindle on a Shapeoko CNC router to cut true dovetails without having to hold the boards vertically. I think I can do an axis conversion to make cuts on the ends of the boards in Y and Z vice X and Y.

Then started thinking about the quality of the cuts, and that drove my question.

Terry