Need Help! Fusion 360 Cam seems to make me use smaller bits then I would think

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fusion 360 Cam seems to make me use smaller bits then I would think

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fusion 360 Cam seems to make me use smaller bits then I would think

Ok I am doing a part and have generated the CAM but I am confused. I am milling a T shape. The long part of the T is .13 wide. so I figured a 1/8" endmill would work. Fusion fails to generate a toolpath. I get a big Yellow triangle but no reason why. If I go down to a 2.5MM endmill it will work. I have the tool plunging and not helix. I have messed around with the ramping and still no luck. So maybe some of you experts can explain to why? I was trying to mill a slot but using 2d Adaptive. The slot was .043 and I had to go to a 1/32 " endmil to get the path to generate. Then I tried the slot function and was able to go to .042 and get a toolpath. Just trying to understand this..

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you using a lead-in and lead-out? Is the specified distance too long?
    How about material left for finish pass? If too much is left might cause problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fusion 360 Cam seems to make me use smaller bits then I would think

Quote Originally Posted by ripperj View Post
    Are you using a lead-in and lead-out? Is the specified distance too long?
    How about material left for finish pass? If too much is left might cause problems

I will check.. I know I have made materials to leave 0.
    So lead in lead out is what exactly. Trying to understand what the setting means.
    Thanks

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Lead-in is a setting that makes a gradual “ramp” to the actual tool path. When the tool path is complete , lead-out is a gradual move away from the cut. There are horizontal and vertical check boxes. Lead-in/out helps with a better finish
    These settings are turned on/off with check boxes in the last tab in the CAM work space. There is a place to enter a distance for the lead-in(or out)

Downloads
    Uploads

Lead-in is a setting that makes a gradual “ramp” to the actual tool path. When the tool path is complete , lead-out is a gradual move away from the cut. There are horizontal and vertical check boxes. Lead-in/out helps with a better finish
    These settings are turned on/off with check boxes in the last tab in the CAM work space. There is a place to enter a distance for the lead-in(or out)

So is that all they really do is help the finish? Right now if I get the part to cut I am thrilled..lol

Downloads
    Uploads

The lead-in/out just keeps the endmill from leaving a vertical mark if you were to retract the cutter vertically from the finish pass, or plunge in from the beginning
    Can you post screen shots of your CAM set-up (all tabs)
    What’s the machine and material?

Downloads
    Uploads

The lead-in/out just keeps the endmill from leaving a vertical mark if you were to retract the cutter vertically from the finish pass, or plunge in from the beginning
    Can you post screen shots of your CAM set-up (all tabs)
    What’s the machine and material?

I am using an X2 harbor freight mill that I converted to CNC. Using MACH3 and cutting 01 tool steel.
    Thanks

The Slot in the T is what seems to make me use the smaller bit. If I go about 1/8" the CAM will not make a tool path in the slot.

Fusion 360 Cam seems to make me use smaller bits then I would think-fusion-1-png
    Fusion 360 Cam seems to make me use smaller bits then I would think-fusion-2-png
    Fusion 360 Cam seems to make me use smaller bits then I would think-fusion-3-png
    Fusion 360 Cam seems to make me use smaller bits then I would think-fusion-4-png
    Fusion 360 Cam seems to make me use smaller bits then I would think-fusion-5-png
    Fusion 360 Cam seems to make me use smaller bits then I would think-fusion-6-png

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fusion 360 Cam seems to make me use smaller bits then I would think-fusion-1-png   Fusion 360 Cam seems to make me use smaller bits then I would think-fusion-2-png   Fusion 360 Cam seems to make me use smaller bits then I would think-fusion-3-png   Fusion 360 Cam seems to make me use smaller bits then I would think-fusion-4-png  

Fusion 360 Cam seems to make me use smaller bits then I would think-fusion-5-png   Fusion 360 Cam seems to make me use smaller bits then I would think-fusion-6-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

I’m on my phone, so it’s hard to see, but your leadin looks like .009”?
    .125” endmill plus the .009” lead in is bigger than your slot .130”?? So I see why no valid tool path would generate., just uncheck both the lead-in and lead out boxes and see if a tool path generates.
    I would un-check the “stock to leave” box even though you have 0” in the box too.

Downloads
    Uploads

I’m on my phone, so it’s hard to see, but your leadin looks like .009”?
    .125” endmill plus the .009” lead in is bigger than your slot .130”?? So I see why no valid tool path would generate., just uncheck both the lead-in and lead out boxes and see if a tool path generates.
    I would un-check the “stock to leave” box even though you have 0” in the box too.

So does the lead in get added to endmill side?

Downloads
    Uploads

I guess it depends on where your cut starts, if you start the cut in the narrow part, the .009” is a short travel path 90 degrees to the narrow wall.
    You should be able to hover your mouse over the lead-in box and a picture should pop up showing how it works

Downloads
    Uploads

Also check your endmill diameter and make sure you didn’t edit it to be bigger. You can have the name be 1/8” endmill, but edit the diameter to be bigger

Downloads
    Uploads

Also check your endmill diameter and make sure you didn’t edit it to be bigger. You can have the name be 1/8” endmill, but edit the diameter to be bigger

Yes The toolpath seemed to work better when i took that out. So how do you guys use the lead in and out if you have to cut with smaller tools is that not an issue.
    Thanks BTW

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok Here working on another project trying to learn this stuff. I have defined a 3/8" endmill. I know this size will work as I have seen other CNC guys use 3/8" endmill.
    If I put 1/4" in it will generate the entire toolpath.

If you have a min and see where my error is sure would help me out. Thanks

If you look at the last pic which is the toolpath the cutter is not going into the end of the pocket. Not sure why?

Fusion 360 Cam seems to make me use smaller bits then I would think-ar1-jpg
    Fusion 360 Cam seems to make me use smaller bits then I would think-ar2-jpg
    Fusion 360 Cam seems to make me use smaller bits then I would think-ar3-jpg
    Fusion 360 Cam seems to make me use smaller bits then I would think-ar4-jpg
    Fusion 360 Cam seems to make me use smaller bits then I would think-ar5-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fusion 360 Cam seems to make me use smaller bits then I would think-ar1-jpg   Fusion 360 Cam seems to make me use smaller bits then I would think-ar2-jpg   Fusion 360 Cam seems to make me use smaller bits then I would think-ar3-jpg   Fusion 360 Cam seems to make me use smaller bits then I would think-ar4-jpg  

Fusion 360 Cam seems to make me use smaller bits then I would think-ar5-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I’m not seeing anything obvious, post a picture of the tool settings from the tool library. It’s the only thing I can think of. I’m pretty good with Fusion, but I taught myself, so there are probably some gaps in my knowledge

Downloads
    Uploads

I’m not seeing anything obvious, post a picture of the tool settings from the tool library. It’s the only thing I can think of. I’m pretty good with Fusion, but I taught myself, so there are probably some gaps in my knowledge

Yea I am trying to teach myself this. I am wanting to do some gunsmithing and I really appreciate the help...

Not that this is a big deal but do you know how to get a standard collet for holder in fusion?

Fusion 360 Cam seems to make me use smaller bits then I would think-ar6-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fusion 360 Cam seems to make me use smaller bits then I would think-ar6-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Don’t know dude

I only thing I would try is turning optimum load in passes tab down, try small like .005

I think in the tool library you can click on the holder tab and select different holders

Downloads
    Uploads

so
    Don’t know dude

I only thing I would try is turning optimum load in passes tab down, try small like .005

I think in the tool library you can click on the holder tab and select different holders

So what does optmum load really do?

Downloads
    Uploads

Not sure how it works, but it calculates cutter engagement during roughing adaptive tool paths to be most efficient

Downloads
    Uploads

I think im at the limits of my ability to help further

Downloads
    Uploads

truckeic,

I've made the exact same part (as you have shown above) with a 3/8" EM with zero issues.

The only difference I can see is that you have zero lead in/out, and also I selected a predrill/entry point when I did it (I pre-drilled a hole specifically for that purpose).

PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast