Newbie Fusion 360 on old CNC?

Thread: Fusion 360 on old CNC?

Default Fusion 360 on old CNC?

Hello All,

The company I work for has been tossing around the idea of a CNC machining center, but money always seems to be a problem. I've found a few older machines in my area, but I'm not sure if Fusion 360 will work with them.

There is a 1996 Bridgeport Torq Cut 30 for sale in my area. I know it's not the best machine, but it could make a good start. Most of the machined parts would be small.

I'm completely new to CNC. I'm self trained as a manual machinist (YouTube has been a huge help.). Fusion 360 looks pretty straight forward from what I've seen on YouTube. I work as a CAD designer (Machinist when needed.) so the modeling part wouldn't be difficult.

Thanks for your help!

10dogz

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fusion 360 on old CNC?

Hi,

yes it will be. Only what will be necesary is modify postprocesor exactly for your machine.

Postprocessors, VBA macros, .NET programming.
    www.ccsoftcz.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with Maroslav4, you may need to modify the post processor, but youtube is your friend. Google also as searching on how to modify the post is easily found and not that hard to do.

Country

Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Maroslav4 & Bubba,

Thanks for your help!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 10dogz View Post
    Maroslav4 & Bubba,

Thanks for your help!
    You are welcome. If you will need some help with editing postprocessor let me know. Im do this long time .

Marek

Postprocessors, VBA macros, .NET programming.
    www.ccsoftcz.com

Downloads
    Uploads

One of the problems with older controllers and modern CAM software is that the modern CAM software creates huge files. The memory is normally somewhat limited on the older controllers. It may possible to drip feed the G code to the controller, but just something to be aware of. As said above by modifying the post processor it is possible to use the canned cycles built into the controller program thus reducing the file sizes.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use Fusion360 to program a 1997 Bridgeport VMC 760 with a BOSS5 (DX-32 Controller).

The DX-32 post processor on Fusion360s post library works great. I've never had issues.

Unless you are doing die & mold, I don't expect Fusion360 to generate huge files.

Downloads
    Uploads

Should work fine. Just make sure you can DNC. I ran molds on a 1978 Tree Journyman with a BTR (Behind Tape Reader) upgrade to allow serial communication with a computer. Ran just fine. I know people using 1980s machines with zero problems. It's all up to the post processor.

Downloads
    Uploads

I use Fusion with a Torq Cut 22 daily. Let me know if you want the post processor.