Need Help! Rest pocket operation not covering all left over areas?

Thread: Rest pocket operation not covering all left over areas?

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Rest pocket operation not covering all left over areas?

Hi,

In this sign I am making I cannot get the 4mm rest pocket operation to cover all the leftovers from the initial 10mm pocket operation. I have checked my rest tool dia and set the rest corner radius to the previous tools min cutting radius. That last part is a guess, I don't understand this setting.

I've circled the problem areas on the simulation screen shot.

Anyone know what setting I need to change?

Regards, David.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rest pocket operation not covering all left over areas?-sim1-jpg   Rest pocket operation not covering all left over areas?-10mmpocket-jpg   Rest pocket operation not covering all left over areas?-4mmpocketrest-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Rest pocket operation not covering all left over areas?

Just taking a stab at it but wouldn't your corner radius for the 4mm rest tool be 2mm instead of 1mm?

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

I can't speak for this particular model/issue (if you make it available, I'm happy to look at it though!).

I will say though, that in the past, when doing relatively complex 2.5d tool paths, I've personally had better results *not* using "rest" machining. I'll just create a separate sketch that has "boundaries" around features where I know I will need to finish with a small end mill. Then I use those boundaries to keep the larger end mill outside that space, and when I change to the smaller end mill I simply work on the other side of the boundary line I've created and "confine" the smaller end mill to staying inside that boundary.

I had a fairly intricate "heat stamp" out of aluminum that I CAM'd up for someone, and despite my best efforts, I could not get rest machining to work efficiently or correctly -- boundary lines ended up working really well, and the part actually ended up having a shorter cycle time by avoiding rest machining.

Your mileage may vary!

PM

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys.

David, when would the corner radius not be 1/2 the tool dia? Ball end mills or something?

PM, good to know others have had similar problems. I'll try to figure out how to machine on either side of sketch geometry.

Downloads
    Uploads

David,

Sometimes I draw 2 sketch paths around a group of features, slightly offset from each other (maybe one is 1 or 2mm outboard of the other). Then I use the *inner* sketch profile when I'm cutting on the outside, and the *outer* profile when confining to the the inside. That slightly overlaps the cutting paths from the two different sized end mills to make sure there is no remaining little pieces of material anywhere.

Many ways to do it... just whatever is convenient and gets the job done quickly is typically what I do.

PM

Downloads
    Uploads

I guess that's what I was getting at, David. Your tool is 4mm but the corner radius is shown as 1mm. Like you, I expect the corner radius to be 1/2 the tool diameter, which in this case is 2mm. So I'm wondering if Fusion 360 sees a corner radius smaller than the chosen tool and is avoiding those areas. Unless I'm just missing something here... it is early in the morning, after all.

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner