Need Help! No CAM Do

Thread: No CAM Do

Downloads
    Uploads

Default No CAM Do

No CAM Do-small-ladder-die-jpg
    This is a ladder damascus die I am looking to mill two of. it is 6" long by 4" wide with .125 wide and .1875 deep slots milled every 1/4 inch (or .125 between slots). XYZ zero is at the rear left top corner.
    If I were doing this manually I would cut the slots in two passes with a .125 flat end mill and then run a .0625 rounding cutter down the middle of each slot for the filets.
    I drew this on Fusion360 (a first real project for me on Fusion360) and probably did it the hard way.
    When I went to generate the CAM for the project the pathways were all over the place, and not correct. I tried all the types but none seemed to work.
    The whole job was generated with just a .125 flat end mill as I didn't see how to implement tool changes.
    What am I missing?
    Perhaps I should scrap trying to do this in F360 and just figure out the Gcode?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No CAM Do-small-ladder-die-jpg   No CAM Do-small-ladder-die-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: No CAM Do

I found some Beginner videos on Youtube today. I realized I was completely off the page in my process. Please ignore my
    plea for help until I give it a more educated attempt.

Downloads
    Uploads

One thing to think about, is you don't want to model the slots the same size as the tool. Make them a few thousands wider, or the CAM will think the tool won't fit.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for that. I never would have taken that into consideration.

Downloads
    Uploads

Jonathans,

It's been 2 weeks since your post, so hopefully you've made some great progress!

I think if I was doing this part, I might not even model it... I would just create a sketch of the toolpath, and then use the Trace strategy applied to that sketch. You'll probably need 2 identical sketches that are in different Z locations for your 2 milling passes, and then a 3rd sketch in the right location to drive the corner rounder.

Let use know how you fared!

PM

Downloads
    Uploads

I’m still figuring out the drawing part of F360. I don’t even know how to save a file in this program and post it here for others to see.
    Frustrated. As far as tool paths go, I made a 1/4” version of the dies manually. A few passes with a 1/4” end mill for each slot and one pass down the middle of each slot with a 1/8” rounding cutter. I’m still looking for an easy yo understan CAM beginners (REAL beginner) video.
    Fusion seems to use a whole different set of operating procedures than anything els Ive ever used.

Downloads
    Uploads

The good news is, once you learn the basics, additional learning happens quicker and quicker.

There are numerous methods for sharing a file. I personally just save the file to my computer in native (F3D) format and then move it to my dropbox and share the link. If you'd like specific instructions, just let me know.

PM