Flip (2 sided) milling with Fusion360 cam

Thread: Flip (2 sided) milling with Fusion360 cam

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Flip (2 sided) milling with Fusion360 cam

I have some questions about the setup of Fusion360 when flip milling. I had been using Meshcam for this in the past and it just seemed to take care of everything for me. But I want to move away from that because of it's limited strategies.
    I understand about setting up an origin XY location the same on both side and setting Z0 on the top of the material on both sides and reorienting Z when I do the flip.

What I don't understand is the heights on both sides and how to set them up so that when I mill the second side I end yo with a part that is the proper thickness.

Any advise would be appreciated.

THanks,

Terry

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Flip (2 sided) milling with Fusion360 cam

If I understand your question correctly, as long as you set up your stock dimensions the same in each setup the part will come out the correct thickness.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm intreagued as how this was automated in meshcam but in fusion your machining a 3D model so the depths are either within the model itself or say if you faced 2mm off one side of 20mm stock. On the flip side you would alter your stock to be 18mm. If the stock is just pocketed so when you flip it sits at the same height then there's no need to alter stock thickness just like you say maintain origin position. The depths of contours in flip side of model you will machine to so the depths are taken care of for you really.

Zeroing at top of stock does require you measure the exact thickness of the stock material and enter it in setup, if you wanted it to be correct everytime for deviating thickness stock you would have to zero at spoil board and set origin bottom of part in setup. Providing you are facing the first side that is.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the quick answers.

Mescam has "two sided" milling so as long as I mot the depth correct it just took care of itself.
    What I am milling is some very consistant in thickness stiff foam. It is 9mm thick and I am going to to do parallel as the operation. So when I flip it the boarder of the material will still be there ar 9mm thick.

I guess my question is how do I set the depths of the cuts so that when I flip it they meet and don't over or undercut producing a part that is to thick or thin? The stock is a very consistent 9mm thick and lets say for this discussion that the part I'm machining is 6mm total thickness (both sides) at it's high point and each side has a different thickness when looking at it from the parting plane. BTW this is 3D machining. Do I set it up so that the parting plane through the center of the part is in the center of the stock and if so how do I do that. And since the part is 3D on both sides does Fision 360 just look at the side it's milling and treat it like the other side is flat for say the top side? I'm clearly confused.

My mill I do this on is a bit different so I don't use a vacuum table to hold the part down during the flip operation.

Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

If your stock is very consistent it doesn't really matter where you set your origin. Like Jon.N.CNC said, if it weren't consistent you can set the origin of the part at the bottom, which guarantees that when you set it up the first time it will be the right height. To make it clearer(or more confusing), there's more than one way to do it. When setting the stock parameters you can set both to 9mm and make sure the offsets are changed to match. An offset of 1mm from the top on the first setup would mean a 1mm offset from the bottom in the second setup. If that makes sense. That's how I normally do it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks folks, I'll work on it.

Terry

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Terry, You will need to do a new setup on the back "flip side" and create a new coordinate system. In the stock drop down you will see the ability to take the stock to zero on the other side. Pat. Call me if you need clearity. 7196843155. We can also share your project on Skype

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads