Mach3 ATC Addition

Thread: Mach3 ATC Addition

Default Mach3 ATC Addition

Hey guys!

I'm about to embark on adding an automatic tool changer to a few machines I have running on Mach3 right now. However, I'm running out of ports! I plan to build my own ATC, so for me it would be easiest to have an arduino control the whole process. I honestly know nothing yet about adding the macros to Mach3, but I'm wondering if the way I'm thinking would work:

Is it possible to have Mach3 simply give an output to activate the tool change, and then wait for an input that says it's done?

This way I would have everything on the Arduino, it would be told to start a tool change, and then it would tell the controller it finished--all using relays for logic input to Mach3 to counter the different logic voltages between the controllers.

Thanks in advance!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mach3 ATC Addition

Quote Originally Posted by callouscade View Post
    Hey guys!

I'm about to embark on adding an automatic tool changer to a few machines I have running on Mach3 right now. However, I'm running out of ports! I plan to build my own ATC, so for me it would be easiest to have an arduino control the whole process. I honestly know nothing yet about adding the macros to Mach3, but I'm wondering if the way I'm thinking would work:

Is it possible to have Mach3 simply give an output to activate the tool change, and then wait for an input that says it's done?

This way I would have everything on the Arduino, it would be told to start a tool change, and then it would tell the controller it finished--all using relays for logic input to Mach3 to counter the different logic voltages between the controllers.

Thanks in advance!
    Regarding running out of ports - recommend using an ESS which will allow 3 ports worth of inputs/outputs. I use one on a 3-axis mill with home-built 10 tool ATC.

Yes, Mach can properly control an ATC. Recommend your check out https://cnc4xr7.com/rotary-atc.php. Sam offers Mach 3 screensets that will control an ATC, and can customize it if you're doing something exotic. I use his screenset to control a 10 tool ATC that I designed and built for a G0704 mill.

Also recommend that you check out https://www.instagram.com/alexandre_r_cyr/ regarding the Arduino control. I believe he uses an arduino with a simply USB connection to the Mach PC.