Australia AC Stepper Drive Toroidal Transformer

Thread: AC Stepper Drive Toroidal Transformer

Default AC Stepper Drive Toroidal Transformer

Gidday Everyone,

Just in the process or ordering some stepper motor and drives for my RF-45 mill conversion ( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3281...c00tiKeoj&mp=1 ) and i noticed the drives take 18-60 VAC.

I asked if they would supply a power supply the recommend to power the drives. They recommend using a 800w toroidal transformer instead of a DC power supply (They will be supplying them to me). Seems wild something so small can do the job. So my questions are.... Please note i am very new to electronics.

1. Do i need anything else to power my stepper drives? Or do i just connect my mains 230/240 VAC to the transformer and then to my drives with the secondary.

2. Is it better to have one small 50v 200w toroidal transformer per drive. (This uses more of my control cabinet space )

Cheers,

Rohan

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: AC Stepper Drive Toroidal Transformer

Hi Rohan,

I used a toroidal transformer when I built my DC power supply. Just used one transformer to power all 3 stepper drives. I can't see any reason to use one per drive.

Here's a link about toroidal transformers:
    https://www.miracle.net.in/blog/adva...l-transformer/

They are supposed to be about half the size of the typical square transformer, yet are also more efficient and have less "hum". Downside is they are more expensive.

Seeing as your drives can be supplied with AC it seems all you need is the transformer. Just check with the supplier the output voltage of the transformer will be OK for continuous voltage to the drives. The data sheet says a MAX of 70 VAC but what voltage can they be supplied with continuously. Is that 70 VAC too.

Keith

Downloads
    Uploads

If you can get a single 50vac toroidal big enough wattage, (I wouldn't go higher in voltage than 50) there's no point in getting multiple smaller ones.
    Too much space needed.
    I'd put a circuit breaker on the input and fit an in-line fuse on the secondary.
    Do some research on wiring diagrams.

The Leadshine look good and they have a good rep.
    I'd have prob got my drives/motors from Lichuan.

Downloads
    Uploads

Greetings,

I have a 12x40 CNC mill that uses a Toroidal transformer. It powers all 4-axes. X,Y, and Z are NEMA 42 motors connected directly to the lead screws. The A-axis is a NEMA 32 motor and it is connected directly to the worm screw via a flexure coupling.

Sadly, that is all I know about the machine.

Cheers,

Dave

Great! sounds like a toroidal transformer is the way to go. I am waiting to get the spec sheet of the transformer before i accept the order. Hopefully it is 50v.

Looks like i need to study some wiring diagrams. I will be having a electrical mate helping me with the wiring and making sure i dont kill myself haha.

I haddnt heard of Lichuan motors before. Are they quite good? I will have to remember that for future builds.

Since i am buying ball screw assemblies from BST i thought i may as well add the motors and drives to the order to save on postage to NZ.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Rohan

Downloads
    Uploads

The nice thing about a toroidal transformer it is easily modified if the voltage is off by a little, i.e., either add or remove turns, typically a toroidal is not more than 2 turns/volt.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.