Australia Multicam (AUSTRALIA) Series IIs router - Help needed setting up - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Multicam (AUSTRALIA) Series IIs router - Help needed setting up

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Multicam (AUSTRALIA) Series IIs router - Help needed setting up

Hi blazk

Blind leading the blind....

z0 is still a bit of a mystery to me in that the way my files are cutting when I'm cutting a simple 2D through-cut, z0 is the bottom of my workpiece (or top surface of my spoil board). I'm sure there will be an option somewhere for z0 to be the top of the workpiece as this seems more logical when setting up. In the few 2.5D files I've run, z0 is indeed the top surface.

It's possible that your surfacing toolpath runs beyond the soft limits of your machine. If so, this would certainly be giving you errors. The soft limits can be changed in ToolPath. I was having similar sounding issues at the start.

First, I was getting an error (can't remember which one) if I tried to run a physically small job outside the lift top and bottom. Initially I was just trying to run small shapes as aircuts at some random height above the board. I solved this by setting the lift bottom a few mm above the table and the lift top about as high as the z axis went. That meant I could pick a random z height between these to set as the material surface and the file would run nice and safe way up in the air and happily between the lift top and bottom.

Next, when trying to run physically larger files, I was also getting similar errors which I could be certain were not to do with the Z axis. This had me guessing till I went hunting for the soft limits in ToolPath. This is called Machine Size and is in the SETUP menu on the Calibration tab in ToolPath. I found that these had been set smaller than what the physical X and Y travels were and also smaller than the larger files I was trying to run. I fiddled around and changed these so my soft limits (Machine Size) are set just short of the physical stops on the X and Y axis. Now, so long as my files are within these limits, the nasty errors are no longer an issue. Note that Machine Size is relative to the home position, which if I understand correctly is where the homing switches trigger when you do a Function 12. This 0,0 is the 'permanent' origin of the machine and is different to the 0,0 you set in Function 3. Positions such as the ATC tool change position etc reference this home 0,0 and not the Function 3 0,0. Further, the soft limits also reference the home 0,0 so working out the maximum X and Y travel before you hit the physical end stops takes a bit of fiddling. Once you have values for these you can enter these in as your Machine Size. I believe it's common practice to set your soft limits with a bit of room to move before hitting the physical stops for obvious reason.

And one last trap I've fallen for a few times is setting my material size in ToolPath at 90 degrees to the table! In fact only just today I did this... I got my X and Y confused setting up the stock in TooPath, sent the job to the machines, went through the motions setting 0,0, lift top and bottom, hit go, chose to override the error, and promptly crashed into the far stop on the Y axis. Well, I guess now I know what happens when you do something so dumb.

Hope this helps. Let me know. Patience!!!! The learning curve is steep when you're trying to self teach and there seems to be no end to the WTFs.

Last edited by Ross_N; 05-20-2021 at 03:29 AM. Reason: typos

Downloads
    Uploads

Gday Ross_N
    I think it's more me being blind and you have one eye open by the sounds of it haha. At least you have made the mistakes I am making which makes it easier.
    I attached my toolpath settings. These were what was on the machine when I got it. I see home isn't 0 0 but I think that's correct when it goes from function 12.
    I really didn't touch much inside of toolpath just set what tool it was configured to and sent it over as I thought the .nc / solidworks cam would have done the rest. I am probably wrong in that regard as I am used to going from vcarve / aspire straight to gcode and not having another program sending it (toolpath) this is where I'm having the struggles.
    I do see inside of toolpath that the .nc file is a "special 3d object" which I'm not sure is normal from coming over from solidworks?
    Think instead of running a massive surfacing process for spoil board I should do something simple like a circle lol....but hey deep end why not.
    I appreciate all the help though!

Multicam (AUSTRALIA) Series IIs router - Help needed setting up-pxl_20210519_035320560-jpgMulticam (AUSTRALIA) Series IIs router - Help needed setting up-pxl_20210519_035326489-jpgMulticam (AUSTRALIA) Series IIs router - Help needed setting up-pxl_20210519_035345282-jpgMulticam (AUSTRALIA) Series IIs router - Help needed setting up-pxl_20210519_035350228-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking at your settings and re reading the sections on the Home position in the ToolPath manual, it looks like I wasn't right about the Home position you enter in the Calibration tab. As you suggest, this is just the position the spindle moves to after doing a Function 12 and is NOT the datum used for other things like the ATC changeover position and so on. I'm glad to know this now. See - blind leading the blind!!

This means that the Home values set in your Calibration tab shouldn't really be an issue. However, they do reduce the available work size of your table by the X and Y values entered here.
    In your case your Machine Size X is 2615 and your X Home is 145.2 which means the available work size is 2469.8mm By sending a job that is say, 2500 in the X which is less than your Machine Size setting, but more than your available work size, I imagine you'll get an error. Same logic for the Y.

My plan is to eventually change the control board in the router so I'm not using ToolPath, but I figured it was worth using the machine like it is for a bit then head off on that journey. Rodw suggested a Mesa controller for example at the start of this thread.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well that makes sense.
    I too am going to upgrade the electronics, I have the masso touch on its way. I'm still undecided if I want to replace the stepper motors. I know the ATC won't work with any new electronics, so I will have to work out / build some kind of tool change cartridge, holder something along those lines. The ATC electronics cant be integrated into newer tech according to the builders of masso. Too much involved apparently maybe wrong ?
    I really want to get it up and running as is just to familiarise myself with the machine as there is another one the exactly same (minus the ATC) at work too and no one can run that one either (this one is my own personal one).
    I might head into work and play with it for a bit, maybe ill start with something that will fit on the board aka 300x300 x 16 and cut a circle or square something like that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ross_N
    So how do you set up so you have 0,0 on the bottom of the workpiece inside of Solidworks?
    Then you do a function 3 function 4 and it knows that 0,0 is the bottom?

Downloads
    Uploads

Im so confused about how to get this working >.< I hate toolpath so much.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi blazk,
    Just read your post and I'm familiar with Multicam / Toolpath machines so figured I could point you in the right direction or so I hope!

It's late and replying on my phone at the moment so at risk of stealing the thread I thought I would just give a suggested simple workflow that I have used in the past. I'm not across everything that Toolpath does and there are likely better and ore practical workflows but this should get you cutting.

I would suggest just getting a basic shape like a circle or the like into toolpath from a DXF format to keep this side simple to start with. Send that down to the machine. I typically give the job be on the output screen a number as you can easily call this up from the machine.

On the machine pull up your job or on the machine I know you can hit function, then file and enter the job name/number.

I do a function 1 - set cutting speed but I'm sure the manual says it's the lower of the toolpath set speed and this function but this has been my workflow.

Do a function 4 to set the 'top' and 'bottom' of the job eg Z0. Top is where the spindle raises to after a cut, and bottom is the depth you want to cut through to eg through your job and a fraction into your sacrificial material. The trick here is to typically set the 'bottom' to the top of your job and then..

Do a function 7. This adds an offset to what you just set as the 'bottom' point in function 4. As the 'bottom' point is currently set to the top of the job, you want to input a negative offset to set the 'bottom' to be through your job. So if your cutting 12mm MDF set this to -12.0.

Jog the spindle head to where you want the job to start, hit start, then start again with the spindle running and off you go.

0,0 ends up being set from the X,Y position your at when you hit start. You can use function 12 to return to this point if you jog the spindle away. 0,0 will relate to the bottom left point of your job in toolpath.

Let me know how you go. When you have time I would be interested to know what AMC controller you have and what toolpath version you are running along with what version of AMC software is on the Multicam machine. I have an LRC card interface that I'm desperately trying to get away from so this information could prove quite helpful.

Cheers,
    Shaun

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi blazk,

How did you get on with being able to drive your machine? Im reasonably fluent in Toolpath / Multicam CNC if you still need some help :-)

Hi
    If any of you guys have a multicam hand controller you want to sell message me please

Downloads
    Uploads

I need to join in this conversation even though I am a bit late. I purchased a MultiCAM II table quite a few years back and I have pretty much everything to run it, all the manuals, ToolPath Installation floppy disks for Windows 95 and DOS, AMC ToolPath Driver disks, the Windows 95 computer with the Long Range Communications (LRC) card installed and the connecting cable to the machine. I can send copies to whoever needs them. I have been running the table with a Die Grinder mounted in place of the Spindle and have done some pretty cool work with it. However, the other month the old tech decided to die. The mouse stopped working then the computer gave up the ghost and would not start at all. I found that the hard drive was fried and eventually gave up trying to fix it and bought a second hand computer with ISA slots. That is now working and running Windows 95 with ToolPath.

The problem I am now facing is getting Windows 95 to recognise the LRC card. Unfortunately, I do not seem to have any disks with drivers for the LRC card and when I detect hardware it does not even detect unknown devices. Everything is working except ToolPath does not detect any devices attached to the computer. Does anyone have any information about the AXYZ LRC card and where I may find drivers for Windows 95?

Downloads
    Uploads

I also have a Multicam II table. I bought it second-hand with everything included, the windows 95 computer with long range communications (LRC) card, the ToolPath Windows and DOS installation disks, the AMC ToolPath driver disks and all the manuals for operation and installation. I have had the machine running for a number of years and recently the computer crashed in a big way. After numerous failed attempts to repair it I ended up buying a second-hand Pentium that had ISA slots on the motherboard to accommodate the LRC card.
    My problem is I cannot get Windows 95 to recognise the LRC card. The AMC ToolPath Driver disks do not contain any .INF files. They only contain the .IMG file for the machine. Can anyone advise how to install this LRC card in Windows 95?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ross_N View Post
    With some reading under my belt I'm feeling much more comfortable about commissioning and excited to get this machine going.

In a few weeks I'm set to collect the ancient PC with ToolPath installed from the previous owner including the RS232/USB to RS485 Converter. Apparently the PC has seen better days so I'd like to load ToolPath on a more recent machine however it appears the installer CD has gone MIA.

Does anyone out there have the Multicam AMC ToolPath installer disk languishing amongst other pre-loved IT items?
    I have the ToolPath installer floppy disks. However, I am looking for the drivers for the LRC card.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123