Australia Gully's new 3x3 steel CNC router build - Page 8

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: Gully's new 3x3 steel CNC router build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Gully's new 3x3 steel CNC router build

Hi Gully - Will probably buy 20mm from BST Automation. I have 10mm belt/pulleys all set up on motors and mounts from a prior build. Will use these. I have been surprised on how well they performed routing (the motors have 10:1 gearboxes on them and they are mighty strong). The little machine was intended for laser/knife/plotting but everyone wanted it to be a router so I mounted a router on it. So maybe a half sheet is better for 10mm belts. My other machine had 16mm and if building from scratch I'd probably go 25mm if using belts again especially now I have now found an Asian supplier of belts/pulleys vs Oz suppliers. .. I think my second grade gantry is 1450mm capable... It maybe a long, thin machine as I want a machine for making gantries and hydrofoils but the aim is to use up all surplus parts and on-sell, then maybe make a mill. But the main rule for Frankenrouter is to make the parts myself so have to finish YaG first. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Belt drives are good. Had a 1st. generation Muticam 1/2 sheet CNC 30 odd years ago that was belt driven (had 10mm belts). It was a great little performer for its time. Only thing that let it down was the crappy Multicam software controlling it
    I also got a fair chunk of my kit for this build through BST Automation.

Gully

Striving for medeocrity..and achieving high scores!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Gully et al - I really like belts but the general buyer seems to think they are cheap and inaccurate. They can be less cost then other drives but they can also be accurate if designed/built correctly, then they are at parity cost with other systems and have lots of advantages. Horses for courses... There will be more belt machines in my future fleet....Peter

Eye imagine Mediocrity is misspelt on porpoise

Downloads
    Uploads

Lol
    Pete, I dips me lid to you.
    Yes I did spell it incorrectly on purpose. You are the 1st in 11 years to pick up on that.

Gully

Downloads
    Uploads

Just a quick update for anyone thats interested

The CNC has been running issue free and I'm estatic at how much more accurate it cuts compared to my old Joes

A few pics of the current project just to show it does get used
    Gully's new 3x3 steel CNC router build-top1-jpg Gully's new 3x3 steel CNC router build-top3-jpg Gully's new 3x3 steel CNC router build-back-jpgGully's new 3x3 steel CNC router build-back1-jpgGully's new 3x3 steel CNC router build-back2-jpg

Short scale(30") bass project using reclaimed timber to fill in the time during our perpetual lockdown.

Gully

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work Gully - I have cut a couple of necks for friends. What are you modelling in and what CAM are you using? I use Rhino for the CAD and Mechsoft for the CAM. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Pete.
    Designed in Rhino, processed in cut3D as needed, then imported into VCarve Pro so I can layer up all the 2D and 3D together then output from one progam
    Gully's new 3x3 steel CNC router build-render1-jpg Gully's new 3x3 steel CNC router build-render2-jpg

Have made quite a few guitars this way and the process works well for me

Gully

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work I thought it looked like a Bass ,I just do the fret slots although this time a fretless so just inlay .If I was making the same thing all the time then I would model it it's quicker for me to slice a neck up by hand and spoke shave ,the body's I do the pickup routs and neck pockets on the cnc just makes the whole process easier,great stuff cheers John.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all,

Finished up the short scale bass just in time for Xmas. Ended up going with a differnet body design with a paint finish as I had a few issues with the timber body blank
    But it came out really nice in the end, and makes bass type noise.
    Gully's new 3x3 steel CNC router build-short-scale-bass-jpg Gully's new 3x3 steel CNC router build-headstock-rear-jpg Gully's new 3x3 steel CNC router build-dsc09810-jpg

A Merry XMas to you all here at CNCZone

Gully

Downloads
    Uploads

Merry Xmas Gully - Nice... I don't play guitar but do play Didgeridoo. I've made a few guitar parts for friends. Thinking about a CF double bass for a friend. Maybe a ukulele is a good starter project6 for me. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Glad your happy with the accuracy makes things so much easier you'll be able to get into some serious inlay work now .

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678