Australia Gully's new 3x3 steel CNC router build - Page 7

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: Gully's new 3x3 steel CNC router build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Gully's new 3x3 steel CNC router build

Victory is at hand!
    While I was convinced I had a fault develop on my breakout board, I tried Pippin88's suggestion of changing the pulse width on the direction for the Z axis
    Magically it now works again. Thanks dude, I appreciate your input.

And also winning at work today. Was about to head off home and what do I see on the discarded equipment heap. A slightly battered but still serviceable C.O.W stand (computer on wheels)
    similar to this
    Gully's new 3x3 steel CNC router build-cow-jpg
    Needless to say that is now in my workshop awaiting repairs and conversion to Gully's CNC COW

Gully

Striving for medeocrity..and achieving high scores!

Downloads
    Uploads

Glad I could help.

If drivers etc are the same, it's possible there is a slight difference in the breakout board outputs and your previous timing settings were right on the edge (guessing, not an electrical engineer).

7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Downloads
    Uploads

Time poor at the moment.
    But have managed to complete repairs, make and paint the parts needed to get the C.O.W. sorted
    So its ready to rock as of now, just need to finish off a bit of wiring when the last of the parts arrive then complete the Mach3 calibration
    Gully's new 3x3 steel CNC router build-cow1-jpg Gully's new 3x3 steel CNC router build-cow2-jpg
    Only have 2 small parts left to cut on my Joe's for this machine. Once they are done and I'm happy that the little Dell PC is up to the task, It will be time to
    relocate the spindle to it's new home and push this puppy over the finish line.

Gully

Downloads
    Uploads

Bit despondent tonight.
    Thought I would tidy up the steps per unit calibration only to find the issue with the Z axis has returned
    No amount of messing with the pulse width and direction settings would get it to work correctly again, so I'm back to the drawing board with that little gem.
    Will ponder on it till the weekend as I'm too tired and p@##%d off with it now.
    Suspect I will swap out some parts again to see if that has any effect.
    Suggestions on a solution still welcome

Gully

Downloads
    Uploads

Back in lock down (again) Go figure!
    So it's back onto the Z axis issue. (Fun times). Did a heap more testing with both fresh reloads of mach3 and a different PC also ran the Z axis through my spare gecko drive plus a heap of other tests and everything is leading back to an intermittent fault from the breakout board on the Z output.
    Currently I have it working "reliably" but have no faith in this particular BOB, so for peace of mind the plan is to swap it out with my Joe's BOB after I cut an adapter to hold my dial indicator for setting up the spindly square to the
    spoil board.

Downloads
    Uploads

Had a good day today, moved the spindle and VFD over to the new beast and am pleased to say it is all working as it should.
    Even had time to tram the spindle to the table as well. Just need to finish up and level the spoil board top and we are at practical completion
    Gully's new 3x3 steel CNC router build-spindle-install-jpg Gully's new 3x3 steel CNC router build-vfd-control-box-jpg
    Ignore the dates on the pics, I seem to have turned on the time date stamp that has never been set up

So my Joe's cnc is officially retired as of now. Its parts will hopefully live on in future projects. Checked it's maintenance hours log today, It has clocked up just under 2800hrs. of use.
    No wonder the skate bearings are sounding very average.

Guess next post will be when its totally finished and making dust

Thanks for coming along for the journey.

Gully

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice to see you got it all up and running can be frustrating for sure you have had a journey that's the best part .I have just put an ESS on all good I like how they work , but now the little laser diode I was using cant control the intensity of it anymore Oh well search away .

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Gully - Well done. 2800hrs over how many years? When do you make sawdust? Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks InMesh
    Thanks Pete,
    From memory, I completed the Joes in 2011. So it's given me around 10 years of mainly hobby project / machining enjoyment.
    It has been a very robust and reliable little machine, It really only needs new bearings and a tidy up and I'm sure it would go another 10.
    Making sawdust is probably going to be in July. I need to spend some time cleaning out the workshop ( I'm sure I'm a border line hoarder of stuff I don't need), and move some other equipment
    around so I can get the new machine into its allocated spot.

Gully

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567