Australia CNC plasma DIY HELP

Thread: CNC plasma DIY HELP

Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC plasma DIY HELP

Hi All!

Currently new to the forum and Id like some help (if possible) in building a CNC table.

Im trying to design a 4x4 CNC plasma table with a water bed. Was wondering if anyone had plans, designs, ideas, CAD drawings to give me inspiration perhaps? I have inherited some NEMA 34's 8.5Nm (dual shaft) motors which i plan on using... mainly because they were free. I really like the JD2 plasma table (USA) design with the linear "roller" setup on the y axis so id like to use that design with the spur gear as well. I was planning on using a v/u groove roller set up on the x axis however their hard to find in Aus and the ones i have found are crazy expensive. So I'm leaning towards dual linear rail's (15mm) for the x axis now, not concerned about them getting plasma muck on them as i don't mind wiping and cleaning them. Id also like advice on motion controllers and THC controllers which is best to buy/has best support and is preferably located in Aus. Only one i have seen seems to be Masso?

Anyways look forward to some info if anyone has any and exploring the forum!

cheers

Toby

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC plasma DIY HELP

I'm in Brisbane. Send me a PM. I might be able to help or if you are nearby , you can come and check out mine. Don't ask me how long it took to design. I was like you once.
    The best solution (and the cheapest) today is without doubt the Linuxcnc Plasmac configuration.
    I do have some Mesa cards here I could be convinced to part with. They with Linuxcnc will beat any THC hands down.
    I have dual linear rails across the gantry (X)
    and single 25mm rails on each side of the table

I actually looked at the gantry weight the other day. The second 15mm rail is hard to beat weight wise but next time round i might be convinced to run a combined gear rack with the V rail built in from TEA transmissions but I have not priced it.

If you have some data sheets and torque curves, I might be able to let you know if those motors will work OK.

- - - Updated - - -

sorry link PlasmaC User Guide

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au