Vibration from steppers but only when running Gcode

Thread: Vibration from steppers but only when running Gcode

Default Vibration from steppers but only when running Gcode

Hey G'day people,

Mate of mine called me earlier today and I really don't know how to guide him.

He has built his own cnc, he helped me build mine. He seems to have an issue with vibration from the steppers.

Only thing is the vibration only occurs when running Gcode.

Manually running x y z up down left right, steppers have a sweet sound.

Run some Gcode and they sound angry, grinding vibrations.

Any guidance as to what to look for, I haven't got a clue where to start.

He has 4 power supplies 60 watt

Wantai DQ860MA driver

Wantai stepper 85BYGH450C-012B

So far he has been going up and down with stepper calibrating doing lots of things so now hes lost ....

Any suggestions? or recommendation on settings.

He's using UCCNC and a UC100

Cheers,
    Steve

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Vibration from steppers but only when running Gcode

Hio C22- When you are running manually its the same as under program. Maybe. In the controller settings reduce the accelerations and velocities and see what happens. Often in jogging these are reduced in the background by the system. You don't want machines to take off very fast!! Peter

What are his acceleration and velocity settings? I use UCCNC as well... you start very low and work your way up slowly...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by curiosity22 View Post
    Hey G'day people,

Mate of mine called me earlier today and I really don't know how to guide him.

He has built his own cnc, he helped me build mine. He seems to have an issue with vibration from the steppers.

Only thing is the vibration only occurs when running Gcode.

Manually running x y z up down left right, steppers have a sweet sound.

Run some Gcode and they sound angry, grinding vibrations.

Any guidance as to what to look for, I haven't got a clue where to start.

He has 4 power supplies 60 watt

Wantai DQ860MA driver

Wantai stepper 85BYGH450C-012B

So far he has been going up and down with stepper calibrating doing lots of things so now hes lost ....

Any suggestions? or recommendation on settings.

He's using UCCNC and a UC100

Cheers,
    Steve
    Hi mate. Are those them 1600oz/in steppers by any chance?
    You'll find it likely to be happening at certain rpm's. So you'll be jogging at 1 speed but running gcode at another and won't see it as much.
    However, You won't like this but those 1600 steppers in my view are garbage. It's down to inductance & inertia.
    They could do with about 90vdc to run well so you're likely to always have an issue.
    Had one on my Z axis and literally binned it because I had exactly the same problem. I tried every setting under the sun with mine.
    Swapped it for a 8 wire 1100oz/in wired in parallel that's turned out to be both quieter and faster.

What machine is it?

He built the machine himself, and he has 4 of those, he also has 4 other steppers about half the size that are 8 wire as well. Not used any yet to swap out the big ones need to find a diagram how to wire in parallel.

He has tried all sorts of speeds feeds velocity steps from 800 to 1200 no matter which way he goes they growl and carry on.

He has 4 x 60v power supplies, so he may be under powered?

Dam he is not having a good time with them thats for sure.

Ty for the input Ill pass it along.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

However, You won't like this but those 1600 steppers in my view are garbage
    +1

Tons of people buy these, thinking bigger is better, and find out that they are terrible. A 400 oz motor will usually outperform them by a large margin.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    +1

Tons of people buy these, thinking bigger is better, and find out that they are terrible. A 400 oz motor will usually outperform them by a large margin.
    G'day mate,

Oh well I will be the bearer of bad tidings and let him know..

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - But surely they can be made to work? at least "smoothly" otherwise why do they exist? Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi All - But surely they can be made to work? at least "smoothly" otherwise why do they exist? Peter
    Dunno maybe they were made for a different type of unit, heavy milling machines??

Moot point now, he is replacing them wtih KL34H280-45-8B as hes given up on the bigger ones. He did have the smaller steppers in place, but he thinks he wired them incorrectly in series rather than parallel.

Steve

Hey Guys,

What's the recommendation for these KL34H280-45-8B ... Steps. amperage? He is using Wantai DQ860MA drivers.

As a by the by he's replaced one of the big steppers atm and no more noise..

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    You could, but if you put them on a machine that isn't very heavy as such they will practically free run and vibrate even worse.
    There is also the inductance formula. These generally have inductance of 8mh so could do with about 90Vdc feeding them.

Made more for a heavier machine that needs torque rather than speed.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by curiosity22 View Post
    Hey Guys,

What's the recommendation for these KL34H280-45-8B ... Steps. amperage? He is using Wantai DQ860MA drivers.

As a by the by he's replaced one of the big steppers atm and no more noise..
    Steps depends entirely on how you want it. I generalyy use 2000 driver rev and 400 rev per unit in mach for 1605 screw (running in mm).
    If you're running through a parallel port you're limited to max 45khz so if you set steps too high you have lower max velocity. USB or Ehernet can go higher.

As for Amps it depends how you wire them. Whatever the rated current/phase is for that particular wiring arrangement then I've always been told to set the drivers peak at that and go from there. If they run really cool and/or don't perform that great then go the next setting up and so on.

All my steppers are 5.6A and drivers are set at 6.4A peak. There is no real heat at all still so could prob go higher again. Mine however do have 3.5mh inductance level and are likely too big for my x&y anyway (1090oz/in).

Cheers ty for the tip.

Steve