Australia VFD issue with display, some assistance required. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VFD issue with display, some assistance required.

Default Re: VFD issue with display, some assistance required.

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    If you give me more details on his setup then i can let you know if the drive i have spare will work for him...
    I had a look the other day, the spindle isn't anything special it has a huanyang badge on it. Its 2.2kw so nothing extraordinary, water cooled. 1/2 inch collect.

His build area is around 6' x 4' in the old language, 3 standard steppers which all have their own pwr supplies.

I couldn't quite make out the breakout board, its an inexpensive Asian board I'd bet money on it.

He had a smaller CnC but gave it away to a mutual friend who's not having a great time in life atm, hopefully that will give him something to do. It was all the excuse he needed to build the new one which he has been planning on (talking about) the last couple of years.

Ericks cheers and ty for taking an interest.
    Steve

If there is anything specific you need to know just send me a PM and I'll give you whatever information I can.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by curiosity22 View Post
    I had a look the other day, the spindle isn't anything special it has a huanyang badge on it. Its 2.2kw so nothing extraordinary, water cooled. 1/2 inch collect.

His build area is around 6' x 4' in the old language, 3 standard steppers which all have their own pwr supplies.

I couldn't quite make out the breakout board, its an inexpensive Asian board I'd bet money on it.

He had a smaller CnC but gave it away to a mutual friend who's not having a great time in life atm, hopefully that will give him something to do. It was all the excuse he needed to build the new one which he has been planning on (talking about) the last couple of years.

Ericks cheers and ty for taking an interest.
    Steve

If there is anything specific you need to know just send me a PM and I'll give you whatever information I can.
    Okay...i can give him a Sako mini drive that i used on my machine. Very good drive, only reason i have it is because i replaced the whole panel on my machine. Not going to go into the reason why though
    It's rated for a 2.2Kw motor 230V. If you give me more details i can set the drive up for him...all he needs to do is pay the postage

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by curiosity22 View Post
    I hadn't really thought about it before, just curious now as to how it remembers an individuals settings. The factory settings would be in a read only eprom of some sort. Generally personal settings are in volatile memory which is assisted by a battery backup of some sort like on a pc's battery's. Perhaps it depends on a capacitor of some sort. I have a curious need to know now. I don't believe its been zapped, I do think that as he hadn't used it for a very long time that its probably developed a dry joint somewhere. It boots up fan starts then stops. Power is there, if it was an electrical zap I don't think it would boot at all. Seeing as how it seems to have affected the touch pad only.

Anyways conjecture it is, it may be one of many things, it was brand new stored in its box for a couple of years, worked very briefly and now not.

Whatever the case it has to be replaced.

Cheers and thanks for all the input guys much appreciated.

Steve
    No conjecture I have repaired hundreds of VFD Drives, the whole thing is how did he first Power it up and turn the power off if it is damaged then this is the first place to look

Having a volatile memory would not work in this case for Parameters they do not use a volatile memory, that being said there are some KeyPad operations that can be saved or not saved, such as the Up / Down Arrow Keys if used they can be saved or not saved just by a Parameter change

It is very simple each parameter is saved into storage ( EEPROM ), when you change it the new number is saved replacing the old, they have a life cycle so don't over use them or they will have to be replaced if they die, these can be a separate EEPROM or part of the main CPU These storage devices work the same way as a SSD drive which has a life cycle also

No Batteries or Power required for these EEPROMs to retain there content, ( memory )

Usually when the KeyPad goes out it is either the KeyPad cable or the Main input Power Board got zapped there could be a bad soldered joint also for the input power or low voltage electronics, this is quite common with these knockoff copies of the Huanyang VFD Drive

Another thought was did he have the spindle attached when he first power it up, because if he did and the Parameters where not set for the Spindle then he could of caused a whole lot of other problems, so there is a lot we don't know about his install

It looks like Ericks has solved his problem he has a nice VFD Drive that will work well

Mactec54

Hey Mactec G'day,

Thank you for the information its much appreciated, I've learned something else which is always a good thing.

And Ericks most certainly has solved the problem, his generosity is rather humbling. I am speechless at the generosity of many people on this forum. Considering the way things are in the world today, at 63 years of age I am so appreciative of the few that makes it worthwhile getting up in the mornings.

Cheers and avagreatday all.

Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12