Australia VFD issue with display, some assistance required.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VFD issue with display, some assistance required.

Default VFD issue with display, some assistance required.

Hey G'day folks,

Ok mate of mine has a ASKPOWER A131 SERIES VFD (A131NBC-2022), it was all working the other day, today its displaying 8's across its touch screen. Will not power up.

Two pics attached. My VFD is a Huanyang it looks exactly the same as his, he has taken a picture on the side, there is a red LED working on mine I see the same red LED but also I have a Green Led up the top going where his is not working or it doesnt exist.

Would his VFD have a hard reset? I've looked through his manual and the only reset I've found is from using the panel.

The way it stands atm is his buttons are disabled.

As a by the by this thing he has had in storage for the last couple of years, only worked for maybe half hour all up.

He is having a good run of bad luck, one of the reason I don't buy lottery tickets with him :P~

VFD issue with display, some assistance required.-vfd01-jpg

VFD issue with display, some assistance required.-vfd02-jpg

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: VFD issue with display, some assistance required.

Quote Originally Posted by curiosity22 View Post
    Hey G'day folks,

Ok mate of mine has a ASKPOWER A131 SERIES VFD (A131NBC-2022), it was all working the other day, today its displaying 8's across its touch screen. Will not power up.

Two pics attached. My VFD is a Huanyang it looks exactly the same as his, he has taken a picture on the side, there is a red LED working on mine I see the same red LED but also I have a Green Led up the top going where his is not working or it doesnt exist.

Would his VFD have a hard reset? I've looked through his manual and the only reset I've found is from using the panel.

As a by the by this thing he has had in storage for the last couple of years, only worked for maybe half hour all up.

He is having a good run of bad luck, one of the reason I don't buy lottery tickets with him :P~

Where are you located?

located in

Reservoir melbourne australia

Downloads
    Uploads

Too far, else you/he could have popped by so we can have a look

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    Too far, else you/he could have popped by so we can have a look
    Ericks G'day,

Not a problem mate ty none the less.

Would you know if there is a way to do a hard reset. All I can find in the manual refers to doing resets on certain functions but that's impossible to do if you can't use the keypads.

I was hoping there might be a jumper setting, hidden button somewhere or press a combination of keys on power up.

Cheers and thanks for your replys.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Usually there is a factory default parameter....but if you can't use the keypad to do it then most likely a hardware fault/damage

Downloads
    Uploads

What size is his motor?

Downloads
    Uploads

Steve,

I had a similar problem with the DRO on my lathe. When I switched it on, ALL segments of every display lit up and stayed on.

Normally it would go through some start up sequence at switch on.

Now I suspected these would have an internal battery because they remember the position at power off, so just like a PC has problems when the motherboard battery dies, I figured the same might happen with my DRO.

Lo and behold, there was a 2.8v NiMh battery soldered on the circuit board and it has powdery crystals forming outside. The voltage was only 0.6 volts.

Soldered in a new battery and all good again.

Don't know if that drive may have a similar issue.

Keith

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey G'day folks,

The two VFDs do look similar but that is the only part that is the same, they are very different

Was he plugging it in to power it up or is it wired into a control box, if he was plugging it in to the power outlet he has damaged it, remove the display and reinstall it, this sometimes works, if this does not work it has fried the input power electronics, Main Input Board, which is common if someone is just plugging in these VFD Drives

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VFD issue with display, some assistance required.-pluggin-unplugging-vfd-drive-png  
    Mactec54

What size is his motor?
    The spindle isn't big only 3kw I think, maybe smaller. I'd have to pay him a visit or call him to find out exactly.

I think its well within the tolerances of the VFD.

Cheers and ty for the reply.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Steve,

I had a similar problem with the DRO on my lathe. When I switched it on, ALL segments of every display lit up and stayed on.

Normally it would go through some start up sequence at switch on.

Now I suspected these would have an internal battery because they remember the position at power off, so just like a PC has problems when the motherboard battery dies, I figured the same might happen with my DRO.

Lo and behold, there was a 2.8v NiMh battery soldered on the circuit board and it has powdery crystals forming outside. The voltage was only 0.6 volts.

Soldered in a new battery and all good again.

Don't know if that drive may have a similar issue.

Keith

Beefy G'day mate,

Well mate you maybe onto something here, I didn't know it had a battery, I don't believe I've even come across it in the manual.

Can't check now 12:30 am but will have him check for that first thing in the morning.

Well mine which is functioning goes through its start up sequence and of course it remembers all its settings next power up so logical it would have a backup battery somewhere.

Good call mate, fingers crossed will let you know if it was that latter today.

Cheers and ty for your reply,

Steve

Mactec G'day,

TY for taking an interest, it runs through a control box.

But I will ask if it was in the control box when it happened as he was rewiring and upgrading some things on the box. Putting in new cable trays etc small stuff.

Ty for your input,

Steve

Usually there is a factory default parameter....but if you can't use the keypad to do it then most likely a hardware fault/damage
    Eriks yup, I was rather hoping it might be some sequence that does a factory reset. Like on the iphones or android units. Something like hold volume up button and home button and the same time then power on and you get a reset or boot screen of somesort.

But seems not to be the case. I'm rather hoping its a backup battery?!?!?!?!?!?!

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

The spindle isn't big only 3kw I think, maybe smaller. I'd have to pay him a visit or call him to find out exactly.

I think its well within the tolerances of the VFD.

Cheers and ty for the reply.

Steve
    Thanks...reason i asked is cause i might have a drive to give him

Thanks...reason i asked is cause i might have a drive to give him
    Ohh whow!! Don't know what to say.

Steve

Ok looked for battery, no battery on any of the mainboards, no battery back of display. So total mystery..

His spindle is 2.2kw so I'm sure that wouldn't break it.

If anyone else has an idea let me know.

Cheers,
    Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

I did not expect there to be a battery

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok looked for battery, no battery on any of the mainboards, no battery back of display. So total mystery..

His spindle is 2.2kw so I'm sure that wouldn't break it.

If anyone else has an idea let me know.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Yes no such things like Batteries in a VFD Drive, it had a short circuit or a large electrical spike that zapped the main Power Board if he was rewiring, then this could of easily happened if you are not careful

There is no way to do a Factory Reset if the KeyPad is dead, and doing a Factory Reset even if you could, would not solve a problem like this

Mactec54

I hadn't really thought about it before, just curious now as to how it remembers an individuals settings. The factory settings would be in a read only eprom of some sort. Generally personal settings are in volatile memory which is assisted by a battery backup of some sort like on a pc's battery's. Perhaps it depends on a capacitor of some sort. I have a curious need to know now. I don't believe its been zapped, I do think that as he hadn't used it for a very long time that its probably developed a dry joint somewhere. It boots up fan starts then stops. Power is there, if it was an electrical zap I don't think it would boot at all. Seeing as how it seems to have affected the touch pad only.

Anyways conjecture it is, it may be one of many things, it was brand new stored in its box for a couple of years, worked very briefly and now not.

Whatever the case it has to be replaced.

Cheers and thanks for all the input guys much appreciated.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

I hadn't really thought about it before, just curious now as to how it remembers an individuals settings. The factory settings would be in a read only eprom of some sort. Generally personal settings are in volatile memory which is assisted by a battery backup of some sort like on a pc's battery's. Perhaps it depends on a capacitor of some sort. I have a curious need to know now. I don't believe its been zapped, I do think that as he hadn't used it for a very long time that its probably developed a dry joint somewhere. It boots up fan starts then stops. Power is there, if it was an electrical zap I don't think it would boot at all. Seeing as how it seems to have affected the touch pad only.

Anyways conjecture it is, it may be one of many things, it was brand new stored in its box for a couple of years, worked very briefly and now not.

Whatever the case it has to be replaced.

Cheers and thanks for all the input guys much appreciated.

Steve
    If you give me more details on his setup then i can let you know if the drive i have spare will work for him...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast