Australia Does wiring for limit switches need to be shielded? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does wiring for limit switches need to be shielded?

Default Re: Does wiring for limit switches need to be shielded?

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    You can use the debounce filter of the UCCNC to filter out noise on your limit switch inputs.
    You can set a few milliseconds and then those short noise spikes will be ignored by the controller.
    Hey Olf,

Tried the debounce that seems to have settled my issue, will test some more. TY for the tip really appreciated. It leads me to think maybe I need to try a couple of different switches, they may not be suitable for the purpose.

Cheers and avagreatday.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by curiosity22 View Post
    Cheers for that mate,

Not to expensive to buy and having one won't hurt.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Having the Power Filter will solve your problem, if you look at your VFD Drive manual it will show you this in the wiring, it is a requirement in most installs, and is what should be installed with power supplies and VFD Drives

Using the debounce will slow down the reaction time of the limit switches and Homing, so not a good fix just a band-aid the higher you go with the Debounce the slower the switched signal reacts

Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    You can use the debounce filter of the UCCNC to filter out noise on your limit switch inputs.
    You can set a few milliseconds and then those short noise spikes will be ignored by the controller.
    Olf G'day,

Just a quick update and thanks again for your assist. The debounce filter that I had no clue about nor what its use was for helped me further debug what was going on with my limit switches.

So earthing was ok, switches ok, replaced cable with shielded cable. My Y Axis was still doing a small samba dance of its own.

So I ended up putting on another limit switch on the opposite end of Y Axis, I have two steppers driving Y. I read somewhere on this forum that you needed to use a separate input if you want to auto lvl your gantry.

Neways, as soon as I hooked up the second limit switch for homing for the Y Axis, the Y on homing started performing the way it should. I thought maybe a coincidence so I disabled the second Y limit switch and Y Homing went back to doing a dance.

For whatever reason having Y Homing on the one limit switch with two steppers for me would not behave as it was meant too.

My problem is resolved back off works correctly, homing now ok, and I have removed debounce which is no longer required.

I'm sure it is due to operator error, I haven't done something properly somewhere.

For the moment everything is working correctly now.

Cheers and thanks for the assist.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Olf G'day,

Just a quick update and thanks again for your assist. The debounce filter that I had no clue about nor what its use was for helped me further debug what was going on with my limit switches.

So earthing was ok, switches ok, replaced cable with shielded cable. My Y Axis was still doing a small samba dance of its own.

So I ended up putting on another limit switch on the opposite end of Y Axis, I have two steppers driving Y. I read somewhere on this forum that you needed to use a separate input if you want to auto lvl your gantry.

Neways, as soon as I hooked up the second limit switch for homing for the Y Axis, the Y on homing started performing the way it should. I thought maybe a coincidence so I disabled the second Y limit switch and Y Homing went back to doing a dance.

For whatever reason having Y Homing on the one limit switch with two steppers for me would not behave as it was meant too.

My problem is resolved back off works correctly, homing now ok, and I have removed debounce which is no longer required.

I'm sure it is due to operator error, I haven't done something properly somewhere.

For the moment everything is working correctly now.

Cheers and thanks for the assist.

Steve
    That's another reason you where asked to post some photos of your wiring this would of been picked up by some of the more experienced builders here

Using the Debounce in this case should not of changed anything as that is for noise related problems, but you said it fixed the problem but obvious it did not in this case

Mactec54

Well posting pics of my wiring I don't think would have helped. Whatever the issue was it seemed to have removed itself by adding a second limit switch. It wasn't operating the way it was intended running in series. The debounce initially helped that the Y axis didn't do as much of a dance . Y axis. It was homing ok but was not returning the distance I had nominated eg in my case I wanted Y to retract 180mm, as I have my 4th axis mounted at the front. The left side was going ok but the right was being pulled rather than moving on its own. Over a short distance eg 5 - 10 mm it looked ok but in actual fact it wasn't that only revealed itself later.

So using the second input for whatever reason resolved my issue. Y retracts the nominated distance no more dance. Both motors working correctly left is no longer pulling right side of gantry.

Whatever the cause I learned some new things with the help of a lot of members from this forum, your good self included.

I have learned what debounce is for, that the inputs on the AXBB-E are not 11, 12 etc but instead i1, i2 I could have looked at that till the cows came home I would never have picked it up. Along side many other things.

Mactec ty for your input greatly appreciated and to everyone else who has assisted along the line since my joining cnczone.

Cheers,
    Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Well posting pics of my wiring I don't think would have helped. Whatever the issue was it seemed to have removed itself by adding a second limit switch. It wasn't operating the way it was intended running in series. The debounce initially helped that the Y axis didn't do as much of a dance . Y axis. It was homing ok but was not returning the distance I had nominated eg in my case I wanted Y to retract 180mm, as I have my 4th axis mounted at the front. The left side was going ok but the right was being pulled rather than moving on its own. Over a short distance eg 5 - 10 mm it looked ok but in actual fact it wasn't that only revealed itself later.

So using the second input for whatever reason resolved my issue. Y retracts the nominated distance no more dance. Both motors working correctly left is no longer pulling right side of gantry.

Whatever the cause I learned some new things with the help of a lot of members from this forum, your good self included.

I have learned what debounce is for, that the inputs on the AXBB-E are not 11, 12 etc but instead i1, i2 I could have looked at that till the cows came home I would never have picked it up. Along side many other things.

Mactec ty for your input greatly appreciated and to everyone else who has assisted along the line since my joining cnczone.

Cheers,
    Steve
    You said in your first sentence you had the switches in series, this is never going to work having 2 motors to control if that is how it was setup

Glade you got it sorted most times we are all guess unless we see the whole picture

If the Debounce helped a little then there was some noise that it was canceling / helping to control

Mactec54

I had switches in series yes.. if you wouldn't mind explaining why it was never going to work with controlling two motors. I'm now assuming I guessed right (no foreknowledge) that I needed to add another switch.

An opportunity for me to learn for the future.

Cheers,
    Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

I had switches in series yes.. if you wouldn't mind explaining why it was never going to work with controlling two motors. I'm now assuming I guessed right (no foreknowledge) that I needed to add another switch.

An opportunity for me to learn for the future.

Cheers,
    Steve
    If your ( 2 ) motors where control from the same Step / Dir signals ( or sheared the same Port ), then it would work, but you have ( 2 ) separate Ports ( 1 ) for each Motor Step / Dir signals so would need ( 2 ) separate switches to be able to control each Motor

Mactec54

Matec ty for the reply,

That makes sense, thank you for taking the time to explain that much appreciated.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Summary?
    Good shielding for everything. (Motors and signals)
    Good star grounding for everything.
    Mains filter on input.

I dare say there are more.
    Cheers
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    Summary?
    Good shielding for everything. (Motors and signals)
    Good star grounding for everything.
    Mains filter on input.

I dare say there are more.
    Cheers
    Roger
    Hey G'day Mate,

No argument from me, though I needed to put my limit switch for the right hand stepper on a separate input. Then it all came together.

Cheers,
    Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

I needed to put my limit switch for the right hand stepper on a separate input
    That figures all right. If the 1st motor in your system left the single limit switch activated, then there would be no sensor for the 2nd motor.

Cheers
    Roger

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12