Australia Its Aliveeeee my AXBB-E is working

Thread: Its Aliveeeee my AXBB-E is working

Default Its Aliveeeee my AXBB-E is working

Hey Guys n Gals,

Thanks to the assist from people in this forum, I have managed not to burn anything, set my controller on fire or anything else untoward.

My AXBB-E is alive, I have managed to wire up and test one stepper and it works!!!!!

The instructions for accessing the AXBB-E didn't quite work as per instructions, fortunately for me I have many many years of networking behind my belt so finding it and getting it to go was easy.

The 10.10.10.10 default subset I changed to my own IP subset which made it instantly visible to the rest of my network!!!

I could not get it to work properly via direct cable or twisted pair, that consumed a lot of time so I did it the right way.

A $12 5 port hub nice n cheap and voila there she blows - let DHCP handle it and your golden.

If it wasn't for this forum I would have been paddling the virtual river.

This is the first time for me to set up a micro controller so it was a bit of an adventure.

I can now shelve my G540 for a rainy day and get going with my new toy over the next couple of days.

Found a nice Micro XT computer case donated by the streets, people are tossing out their unwanted in my area.. I've ripper the guts out of for the box, it has fans built in, plenty of room and ventilation.

Cheers and TY TY TY..

Regards,

Steve

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Its Aliveeeee my AXBB-E is working

Good job Steve.

When connecting with direct cable you do not have to change the IP of the AXBB-E, it is 10.10.10.11.
    You just have to change the IP of the computer network card to 10.10.10.10 and the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0.
    Then the last byte in the IP is unmasked so the network card with the IP 10.10.10.10. can talk to the devices with IP address range 10.10.10.0. to 10.10.10.255.
    The AXBB-E has the IP of 10.10.10.11 which is in that range and so they can talk.

Another way to set them up is changing the IP address of the AXBB-E to fit the IP of your network card and then keeping the network card IP as it is.
    Or you can change both, but then they have to be changed in a way to make them fit eachother.

If you understand how networking works then it is as simple as setting it up as setting up for example a network printer in the office.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well done. Glad you got it working!

Olf that's just it,

AXBB is not sitting on a generic IP address, I have an established network sitting on IP address which have been that way for a while, its more work for me to do that change my VPN etc etc.
    I just changed it to suite my subnet and it was Golden.

Unfortunately "To setup the network for the device two steps has to be done. The network should be setup on the PC side and also in the AXBB-E controller. To establish communication between the PC and the device the 2 sides setup must match the connection scheme." that really doesn't tell you much, actually nothing at all. For people not familiar with networking they wouldn't have a clue. The sentence fails to tell the user that both the Lan and AXBBE need to be on the same subnet to communicate.

It would be a lot easier and more intuitive to first find the IP address of the PC, write that down, start the UCxx utility set the AXBB to whatever the PC subnet is and you could eliminate 80% of explanations in the manual, I know not everyone has an established network going, and that most wouldn't know what an IP address was.

Otherwise setup was easy, I just need to workout why a loss of communication occurs between the PC and AXBB on startup of UCCNC, happens often enough for me to want to check my cabling.. once a connection is made its solid with no dropouts.

Apart from all that I am as happy as can be really nice product AXBB looking forward to doing a job with it in the next few days to see how it holds up.

For me it was the first time I had to put something like this together for most of you here it will be ho hum easy peasy, for me it was the first time I came across some terminology things like GND is not Ground but Negative etc. I just needed time to get my head around it.

Fantastic people here!!!! love this forum!!!

Cheers and thanks for your comments Olf...

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Sterob View Post
    Well done. Glad you got it working!

Cheers mate, so am I, I learned a lot today so an old dog can learn new tricks..

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

The instructions are for a simple direct connection, not a connection to a network.
    I prefer to add a second network card for the controller. If setup exactly like the manual says, it works perfectly.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Gerry hey G'day,

Provided you set the network card your going to use on the same subnet as the controller. Which is not mentioned anywhere in the manual.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by curiosity22 View Post
    Gerry hey G'day,

Provided you set the network card your going to use on the same subnet as the controller. Which is not mentioned anywhere in the manual.
    Same subnet? Whaaat?!

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not a network expert by any means, but I followed the instructions and mine worked on the first try.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

To chime in with my experiences. I just picked up an AXBB-E, and a refurbished PC (Intel i5 3rd gen/8gb ram, Win10 Pro) that I've added a second network card to specifically for the AXBB-E as I didn't want the AXBB-E accessible on the main network. The AXBB-E is wired directly to the second network card with a regular (non-crossover) network cable, relying on the auto-crossover functionality of the network card.

As ger21 says, I followed the instructions in the AXBB-E manual for the dedicated network and it worked flawlessly the first time. I also haven't had any reliability/dropout issues, so I suspect the poster who was questioning their wiring is correct with their intuition there. The instructions are long-winded for sure, so I'd have liked to have seen a TL;DR overview of them first in the manual, with the full instructions in an appendix - but the instructions were correct and accurate. Perhaps the manual has been updated since the earlier attempt?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyNutter View Post
    To chime in with my experiences. I just picked up an AXBB-E, and a refurbished PC (Intel i5 3rd gen/8gb ram, Win10 Pro) that I've added a second network card to specifically for the AXBB-E as I didn't want the AXBB-E accessible on the main network. The AXBB-E is wired directly to the second network card with a regular (non-crossover) network cable, relying on the auto-crossover functionality of the network card.

As ger21 says, I followed the instructions in the AXBB-E manual for the dedicated network and it worked flawlessly the first time. I also haven't had any reliability/dropout issues, so I suspect the poster who was questioning their wiring is correct with their intuition there. The instructions are long-winded for sure, so I'd have liked to have seen a TL;DR overview of them first in the manual, with the full instructions in an appendix - but the instructions were correct and accurate. Perhaps the manual has been updated since the earlier attempt?
    Yes it is pretty simple to set it up. The manual gives step by step instructions.

Hi Gents
    I have just received my AXBB-E controller and using Mach 3

Can some one tell me how to wire and configure my motor drives

I have drives that require step / direction and enable
    The supplied wiring diagram does not show enable in it

I have connected the step and direction and have movement but it’s very lazy and I cannot cal the steps correctly

Any help is appreciated

John P

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin65 View Post
    Hi Gents
    I have just received my AXBB-E controller and using Mach 3

Can some one tell me how to wire and configure my motor drives

I have drives that require step / direction and enable
    The supplied wiring diagram does not show enable in it

I have connected the step and direction and have movement but it’s very lazy and I cannot cal the steps correctly

Any help is appreciated

John P
    The enable is not connected in most CNC systems, because if the drive is disabled the motor loose position and it would require re-homing the machine every time you disabling and re-enabling the drive.
    You should leave the enable input of the drive unconnected.

Merlin when you say Lazy are your steppers moving slowly? Check the settings on your drivers the dip switches if they are correctly set. sw1 to sw6 that will influence how your steppers move.

Ok thanks

That does make sense
    The question is now then
    Do I leave it open circuit or wire it as enabled when machine is powered up ?

John P

Quote Originally Posted by curiosity22 View Post
    Merlin when you say Lazy are your steppers moving slowly? Check the settings on your drivers the dip switches if they are correctly set. sw1 to sw6 that will influence how your steppers move.
    Bit of background to help

Machine is 1965 Cincinnati 3 axis mill
    I removed the 1990,s controll system and have installed
    Nema 42 30mn stepper motors
    And DM2282s drives

I did have it functional with a eBay Chinese BOB
    But was loosing steps and getting path errors
    Upon some research it seemed the best solution was a better BOB

Hence the AXBB-E purchase

Lazy as in very slow to move

I will play with my speeds and acceleration and see what I get

I was having trouble getting the steps
    Calibrated correctly

John P

OLFcnc suggests as per his post below..

The enable is not connected in most CNC systems, because if the drive is disabled the motor loose position and it would require re-homing the machine every time you disabling and re-enabling the drive.
    You should leave the enable input of the drive unconnected.

I forgot to regulate my dip switches as well and my steppers were like snails. Try different settings as the one recommended may not be suitable for your needs and how your setup.

Good luck.
    Steve