Australia Looking for advice re gear cutters for cnc router with 4th axis

Thread: Looking for advice re gear cutters for cnc router with 4th axis

Default Looking for advice re gear cutters for cnc router with 4th axis

Hey G'day,

Have been looking at cutting some gears with my cnc, I have my 4th axis sorted and ready to try some new things.

I've trolled youtube and seen some cutters for Mills but nothing particularly that would suit a spindle with 4th axis as indexer.

I saw a gear cutter for a shirline but I can't find out what type of cutter it is any help here naming the cutter would be good. I don't know if that is typical for a spindle?

I've had a look at involute cutters but not seen any attachments that could make it work with my spindle.

If anyone has any links or names of cutters that could be used it would be greatly appreciated.

I purchased a while ago Gearotic so making gears at least virtually not an issue, time to put it to some use.

Cheers and ty in advance.

Steve

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Looking for advice re gear cutters for cnc router with 4th axis

Nobody doing this? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers,
    Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

I picked up a couple sets from travers tool. Search for Involute High Speed Steel Gear Cutters. Takes a set of 8 cutters of the same pitch /module to cut a full range of teeth from 8+ to rack.
    I use a 1" arbor saw tool holder to hold gear cutter. From that point its all in how you like to do things and exactly how much control you want with the process. Using full model cnc programs can be tricky because cutters are not real consistent.
    Cam example.
    Looking for advice re gear cutters for cnc router with 4th axis-gearcuttingmandrelfixture-jpg

I attach gear blanks to different size mandrels to hold material away from 4th axis

Downloads
    Uploads

I make my own gears and cutters for some years now. I have cut gears in aluminum, POM and PVC. For POM and PVC I don't even harden these self made cutters (silver steel 115CrV3).

I make the cutters following the button method described by Ivan Law, he has written a small book regarding gear cutting.
    I have made gear cutters on the mill by treating the end mill as "a button" and calculating the tooth count that can be made by this diamter (Mill is not CNC yet). On the lathe I calculate the button diameter needed for the gear cutter and turn (CNC) the cutter.

The gears are cut on the mill by using a dividing head.

Hey Guys,

Thank you for the advice, that gives me ample to move on. I have the starting info I need to take a crack at it. I won't be doing any metal gears, mainly wood or perspex.

Cheers,
    Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

You can use full-profile cutters for gears, but they are very $$.

I have cut GT2 gears using several passes with a straight flute, by using the 4th axis to approximate the shape of the tooth. There is some maths involved ... The photo below shows doing this, with the offset.

I have also cut GT2 gears in thin material (6 -7 mm) by laying the blank down flat and running around the full profile in multiple passes with a 1 mm cutter. I suspect Gearotic can generate the program for this.

Cheers
    Roger

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for advice re gear cutters for cnc router with 4th axis-7572-jpg  

Hey Roger G'day,

Ty very much for the pic, excellent ty for going to the trouble.

Yes gearotic is an awesome program, not only will it give me the gcode, it also allows for full simulations of the gears you are cutting.

Arty the owner and writer of gearotic has made a gem of a program.

Cheers and ty for the advice.

Steve