Does anyone run 2 stepper motors from 1 port Gecko g540? Can it be done?

Thread: Does anyone run 2 stepper motors from 1 port Gecko g540? Can it be done?

Default Does anyone run 2 stepper motors from 1 port Gecko g540? Can it be done?

Hey G'day folks,

Can you run two steppers off one port for Y axis Gecko 540? If so anyone have wiring as to how to go about it.

I'm finally wanting to add my 4th axis rotary to my table.

I've seen some articles that it can be done, but not seen any with gecko.

As a matter of fact my fdm 3d printer sitting next to me has a double adapter type plug when I added another stepper for my z axis. The guy I bought if from ebay sent the cable and stepper so far it works.

I somehow don't believe it will be so simple with the gecko?? possibly??

If someone would be so kind and put me out of my misery.

Cheers and avagreatday,
    Steve

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Does anyone run 2 stepper motors from 1 port Gecko g540? Can it be done?

Hi - Yes you run the two motors in parallel. Just make sure they go the right way. Your design may need them to run counter to each other so wire appropriately. But the gecko has an axis limit of 3A so if the two motors can pull more than that they will only get 3A total. Disconnect them from the mechanics if possible while you rewire and test direction. If you don't have limiting resistors on the gecko I'd do that as well. Peter

Default Re: Does anyone run 2 stepper motors from 1 port Gecko g540? Can it be done?

Hey G'day,

Thank you for the reply, well that is certainly good news. They will need to counter each other running the Y.. I will assume the wiring will just be opposite to each other A+ to B+ A- to B- B+ to A+ B- to A- ..

I am running 24H290-35-4B motors I believe they are 3.5A I wonder how that will go.

Only one way to find out.

Cheers and thanks for a quick reply.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Gecko used to have some info on their site about running two motors from 1 drive. I think they said it will work ok, but only up to about 300rpm.
    Or maybe that was something they posted here at some point?

Regardless, it's not usually recommended.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Steve - It's not an ideal method but your in a bind. It will "work" but may have limitations, may work fine. Until you run it you won't know. The controller gets feedback from the motor and adjusts various things on the fly. With two motors the feedback gets fuzzy so its response gets fuzzy. Depends on speeds and loads that you need to do your job. Tell us how it goes. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Steve - It's not an ideal method but your in a bind. It will "work" but may have limitations, may work fine. Until you run it you won't know. The controller gets feedback from the motor and adjusts various things on the fly. With two motors the feedback gets fuzzy so its response gets fuzzy. Depends on speeds and loads that you need to do your job. Tell us how it goes. Peter
    Well the only reason I'm looking at doing that is I'm wanting to add 4th axis, the way I designed my cnc was to leave space at the bottom for the rotary, thinking only the X/Z is really doing the work and the rotary, so Y isn't needed in hindsight I didn't think about how to secure the gantry so it stays in position. Maybe clamping the gantry in place is the way to go and just switch the cables as needed. Being a old bugger that I am, I don't like switching cables and moving things about.

I looked at some inexpensive Asian breakout boards but have changed my mind, I don't need the heartache I read some reviews on the product I was looking at.

I may still look at the new product Belazis has at AXBB-E ethernet motion controller and breakout board combo - CNCdrive - webshop the price is quite reasonable, considering its a motion controller as well as a breakout board. According to Belazis it is able to run 6 axis

I quote.. "The AXBB-E by software can run up to 6 axis (just like how all of our motion controllers can do that.), but there are only 8 dedicated non isolated outputs for the step/dir lines to the drives, so it can connect 4 axis only on that port.
    But it also has one IDC26 port which is a full parallel port compatible port with 12 additional outputs on pins where you can connect the extra 2 axis to have them up to full 6 axis control."

I don't know what that means!!!! I'd have to see a wiring diagram to understand how that would operate. Unless someone else can explain it in chew-able form

Having read the comments so far, running two motors of one port may not be the solution last thing I need is the gantry wobbling or not being held in place by the steppers. I don't really want to invite disaster.

What was it that Scotty the engineer said, Captain do you know what this is, in reply of course its a warp engine, Scotty says nooo Captain its a nuclear disaster waiting to happen.

Thanks for the interest Guys/Gals much appreciated!

I'm always happy to learn something new so if anyone has a reasonable suggestion I'm happy to listen.

As a by the by I use the UC100, gecko have a way to add an axis as well, if the explanation were in English :P maybe I'd bite at that and I don't know if the UC100 would accommodate that.

Cheers,
    Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Steve -give it a go. Your not going to blow anything up. I run a small router Y axis from a single driver and it works fine. Can't tell the difference to when I ran it from 2. So give it try and if it works, great if it doesn't look for a new solution. I use a UC100 as well. Cheers Peter s

Cheers Peter,

Well what the heck I'm retired and its not like I have to get up in the morning to prepare for a marathon.

Your absolutely right.

Cheers,
    Steve