Australia Designing new Router called Maximus - Page 21

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Designing new Router called Maximus

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Designing new Router called Maximus

Peter,

Can you post a model / picture that includes only the bits you would be selling? To make it clear what is the DIY bench bit etc.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Pippin - Here's the parts on offer. I am working on a study set of drawings part by part. If you or others are interested send me a PM requesting dwgs and when done I'll fwd to you. People can buy one part or the lot depending on their needs. Thanks for following the story. Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing new Router called Maximus-max-parts-1-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-max-parts-2-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-max-parts-3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All- BST Motion have confirmed they can send 20mm rail up to 2.85m. So I shall convert long axis to 20mm rail and cars. The freight company has a 3m max on box length...All good. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Peter...looking good

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - getting errors trying to reply to posts so this is a test. I set up a random carbon fibre stack today to make a billet. Site is running super slow... anyone else having probs? Peter

so this thread seems to work!! but so slow!!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing new Router called Maximus-cf-1-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-cf-2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi All - getting errors trying to reply to posts so this is a test. I set up a random carbon fibre stack today to make a billet. Site is running super slow... anyone else having probs? Peter

so this thread seems to work!! but so slow!!!
    Posting seems to be working ok but have had the same problems as you have had at different times it always seems to correct it's self

Your first block looks good is it structurally as you expected

How many layers and is this in the middle or spread through out the block

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mactec - structurally I expect it to be about 50GPa. Its mainly 300gsm plain weave and some 450gsm double bias. Didn't count layers aimed at 12mm thick. Its 200x400mm which suits the granite block that I'm also testing. I'll either use a caul on top to keep it flat or make a timber frame for its edges. Haven't decided that yet. I'll infuse it then trim and block it. Seems my suppliers have a lot of offcuts so I'll try to stock some sizes or do it to order.

https://cncrouterkits.com.au/2019/06/28/for-sale/ Cheers Peter S

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mactec - structurally I expect it to be about 50GPa. Its mainly 300gsm plain weave and some 450gsm double bias. Didn't count layers aimed at 12mm thick. Its 200x400mm which suits the granite block that I'm also testing. I'll either use a caul on top to keep it flat or make a timber frame for its edges. Haven't decided that yet. I'll infuse it then trim and block it. Seems my suppliers have a lot of offcuts so I'll try to stock some sizes or do it to order.

https://cncrouterkits.com.au/2019/06/28/for-sale/ Cheers Peter S
    Just got 2 samples in the mail of 3D printed Nylon with chopped carbon fiber and Nylon with continuous carbon fiber very impressed

The chopped carbon fiber
    Flexural Strength 81 MPa
    Flexural Stiffness 3.6 GPa

Reinforced with continuous fiber ( this sample is very good you can check them out at Markforged
    Flexural Strength 540MPa
    Flexural Stiffness 51 GPa

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mactec - The carbon printing is steadily getting better. Using infusion I build CF parts with 80-90GPa stiffness and 1200MPa strength. I've had a few 3D printed parts quoted and they are expensive for production parts. If someone had the $$$ and was making a one off machine may make sense. But soon ordinary machine shops will be doing it at ordinary rates then it will make really good sense. I am looking at it for making moulds, makes sense to print a mould vs cut it in aluminium nearly. Peter CNCzone still running very slow and getting error 403 on many threads...

I was looking for stiffness values of hiwin rails/cars and came across this :

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by peteeng; 11-23-2019 at 01:32 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting stuff Peter!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - I set up the CF stack to infuse on some granite to test its heat performance. But I decided not to do it as the granite is a bit small which makes the infusion complex. So I started making a moulding table out of a piece of formply I have. A bench 1200x1200mm will be excellent to get the moulded parts (Tetrium and RCFB) moving. Just need some space, need to sell one of my routers!! Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mactec - The carbon printing is steadily getting better. Using infusion I build CF parts with 80-90GPa stiffness and 1200MPa strength. I've had a few 3D printed parts quoted and they are expensive for production parts. If someone had the $$$ and was making a one off machine may make sense. But soon ordinary machine shops will be doing it at ordinary rates then it will make really good sense. I am looking at it for making moulds, makes sense to print a mould vs cut it in aluminium nearly. Peter CNCzone still running very slow and getting error 403 on many threads...

I was looking for stiffness values of hiwin rails/cars and came across this :
    These guys are already bringing it to the Hobby and commercial level and not really that expensive to do it https://markforged.com/

Check this for your 403 problem https://www.hostinger.com/tutorials/...-how-to-fix-it

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mactec - Yes I have seen their ads for very cheap parts but does not seem to be the case in Oz yet. Thks for info in error 403. Have been thru some of this but no help. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - Interesting occurrence. I received a phone call from the first supplier last week apologising for the very slow response on the quotes (Months). They then promptly quoted. The prices are a bit more / less then the second supplier so I shall split the order. The first supplier has equipment that does some things really well that the second supplier does not have. We are now into the Christmas mayhem period. I have had discussions and trial cutting with a chap that makes timber racking. He's very excited about Maximus. He's moving into bigger premises so he can get a full size router so that maybe 2020's first sale. Xmas is taking over many things. Parties, shutdowns and openings, holidays. So all of you have a great Xmas if I don't mention it by then. Ho Ho Ho Peter

On another matter. I have been working on a new workshop and the plans have been approved by our local council so I can now start to build our new workshop (9mx14m) so march next year I'll have room to build big machines. 2020 I want to build a small 5 axis machine and a big (3mx1.2mx1m Z or bigger) 3 axis machine. Stay tuned. Ho Ho Ho

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds exciting...well done

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - Here's a couple of articles on machine design. One is on damping, the other design. The design article has an area on EG. I like the uni lecture notes, covers a lot of territory. Even has a section on the benefits of lowering the machine mass, that's what I like to hear!! I've put Bamburgs thesis in here as well, always worth another read....Peter

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Everyone - Have a Merry Christmas!!! Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello to 2020 - I'm revisiting Maximus to change the rail sizes and have a quick review. I've found a cabinet maker to work with to cut the benches and bases. Waiting on some quotes to see how that goes. I have a company interested in distributing Brevis, so 2020 is looking good. From my day job here's a 4140 shaft I designed coming out of Q&T heat treat... this is a small one for a trailer that carries a 360 tonne truck... Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing new Router called Maximus-shaft-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - The temperature of the shaft is 600-700deg C which is the same temp as stress relief. So if you get your steel parts thermally SR'ed this is the colour it will be during that process. Very hot. Peter

https://blog.adafruit.com/2016/06/20...-heated-steel/

Last edited by peteeng; 01-09-2020 at 02:37 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's when your cutter goes that colour that you know you are really in trouble!

Cheers
    Roger

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11181920212223 LastLast