Australia Designing new Router called Maximus - Page 6

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Designing new Router called Maximus

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Designing new Router called Maximus

Hi Zorbit - List your questions here and maybe we can use Maximus as an example to answer these or I'll quickly answer them to get on our way. Thanks for participating. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Re:Crossed Linear rails

Hi Peter,
    I assume if one of the rails or bearings fail, the whole unit must be replaced?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Sterob - Yes that's a thought. So better make it bulletproof. I suspect that cost will kill it but until the supplier gets back to me I'm not sure. Peter

Last edited by peteeng; 04-15-2019 at 06:54 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Peter,

is it possible to glue the gantry beam pieces together ? Strength won't be an issue, but I can't find info about the stiffness of the structure.

I like the idea of glue because it means I can use a very flat front surface, and hold it straight, whilst assembling the back section and stiffening webs, with little distortion to that front face.

Any thoughts appreciated on this, and also on a complete composite beam.

Thanks,

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Steve - You can glue any material together these days, even low surface energy plastics like polyethylene. So that's the go. One mantra I have with Maximus is to minimise bolts. That's one reason the gantry is made in two pieces. The rail bolts hold the rail on and hold the gantry together. A composite gantry is entirely possible and there are commercial examples out there. Some 20 years ago I helped in building a 100% carbon fibre 5 axis router with an envelope of 6m long by 3m high by 3m wide. All components were CF. There is great discussion in this forum on composite gantries. But you had better use a more descriptive word then composite. If I use an aluminium back plate and a steel front plate on Maximus it's a composite gantry. So you need to qualify your composite better: fibreglass, carbon fibre, timber/aluminium, etc. A glued structure is very stiff and damp. Planes and boats have been glued together for 50 years and now cars are glued together. In this forum there is a glued aluminium router/mill was very well documented. You need to start a thread and get some images & ideas up so people can comment if that's what you want to do. If you glue the gantry together I'd work with the geometric inertia of the gantry and neglect the gluelines. That would be very close to its real stiffness/rigidity. I would also be cautious in not mixing too many materials together unless you understand them very well. I encourage people to stay in fibreglass world or carbon fibre world or timber world etc. Combining lots of materials does not make it better...KISS Cheers Peter

I have been working through the tutorials on bolted connections in simsolid. My aim is to fully simulate the bolted connections in Maximus. Simsolid will model the faying surfaces and predict if they gap or not. It will actually calculate the gap and shape of the connection and the area of influence of the bolt plus the load in the bolt. The images attached show the test bolt gapping and one image shows the area of influence of the bolt preload and connection traction. Looking fwd to Round 2. Back to designing a bench....Peter

And Steve - You said you had lots of Q's put the list up...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing new Router called Maximus-gap-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-traction-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Steve/Zorbit - Consider mdf or plywood as Gerry does so well. Here's a calculation to show it's just as good as aluminium. I did design a plywood router called BOXI prior to Maximus. But it did not fit my business model. I was thinking of releasing it as a plan set sometime. Having spent a lot of time with timber boat building/design even in survey and composites I'm totally comfortable with the idea of a timber machine. I see you work with titanium would love a Ti machine build!! Does your supplier have tubing? I used to make 6-4 bicycle frames. Cheers Peter

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Re: Designing new Router called Maximus

Hi All - There's been a lot of discussion about damping in machines so I thought I'd write a little article on it. Now I can concentrate on the bench... Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    You can glue any material together these days, even low surface energy plastics like polyethylene.
    I have not been able yet to come up with a satisfactory glue solution for HDPE. I did not try the $200 or so glue from 3M though.

Downloads
    Uploads

3M and others have expensive adhesives that do work. I used a scotchweld product to bond some PE inserts into a melamine panel mould. Then someone decided to change their place. We destroyed the melamine and the PE getting it out. There are acrylic adhesives for HDPE that are reasonably priced. Look up Crestomer.

Recently I have bonded some HDPE "shoes" onto fibreglass springs for an undersea ROV that is used for a drilling sample rig. This is a very adverse environment yet they have performed as good as the screwed versions. In this machine which is about the size of a 20ft container they are slowly replacing all metal bits with composite and plastic. It journeys up to 3km to the bottom of the sea and drills deep holes for geotechnical data. I redesigned the 2.5m long carbon fibre springs for fibreglass to remove the electrolysis problem as most of the structure is aluminium. Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing new Router called Maximus-shoe-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    I used a scotchweld product to bond some PE inserts into a melamine panel mould. There are acrylic adhesives for HDPE that are reasonably priced. Look up Crestomer.
    Thank you Peter.

I did look up Crestomer. It looks like it is not available/can't be shipped to where I live. Your Scotchweld is interesting. It is a widely available manufacturer here. Do you happen to remember which type/number you used for the melamine plugs? Because I tried a few and the bond would come apart when a bit force was applied.

Downloads
    Uploads

Look up Scotchweld 8009. I think it's that one. Been some years since I've used it. But all the major adhesive suppliers have similar product, just ask for low surface energy adhesives. Plus look up flame preparation of surfaces. Surface moisture is one of the biggest issues with bonding. A propane flame wafted over the surface removes moisture and can activate the surface. Look up videos of the bmw chassis manufacturer, they flame prep nearly everything before bonding... Peter

More technical words are plasma treatment, corona treatment.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've used Crestomer in place of epoxy / bubble fillets for joining grp sections on yachts. It's reckoned to be stronger than the epoxy for that application, much more flexible too. This stuff was translucent green, smelly, and came with a whole load of health warnings. I remember a bad batch that cracked as it cured.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast